Switching States To Deliver Double USB Memory

Weaving two different signals lead to the development of high-capacity memory. At least that’s what we have witnessed in past few years. A research team at Hokkaido University has curated an instrument that has access to both electronic and magnetic signals through which it can empower 2x storage space than contemporary USB flash drives.

Conventional data storage devices save data in “word” format with the help of numerous synchronous and asynchronous logic circuitry. The main idea of the team was to incorporate a magnetic signal alongside electronic signal so that the storage space escalates in multiplicative order. Manipulating such multiplexed reading/writing devices the nature of storage also got a promotion from 0 to 1 to A to B format. In simple words, due to the addition of A to B alphabets the storage space gets more location to allocate information.

switch_states_image
Switching States Between Electronic to Magnetic

To approach it the way it has been planned a material was required which could shift between magnet and non-magnet stages. The team has chosen strontium cobalt oxide (SrCoOx) with the blend of oxygen content in segments. The switching of states has been devised using oxidation-reduction reaction. Once the process has begun varying oxygen content pushes the reaction dynamics towards oxidation or reduction which ultimately follow the preloaded work.

Even with this progress, there are two drawbacks regarding the application of the method. The first method requires extreme sample temperature heat treatment whereas the other method demands processing the metal with alkaline solution. Both were insignificant in terms of commercial use and hard to replicate in miniature forms.

As an alternative, scientists have used a sodium tantalate thin film over the stacked layers of strontium cobalt oxide. When a 3V supply is given the electronic state SrCoO2.5 promptly changes to SrCoO3, the magnetic stage. This happens in 0.01 seconds and is the most viable next stage for USB flash cards if compared to the current ones. The complete research paper was published in Advanced Electronic materials.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi everyone.i am arijit maji,a 3rd year student of mechanical engg.actually i want to do a project on aerospace or aerodyamics.can you please give me ideas on this?
After launching X6S and X6S Plus a few months back, Vivo is back with two new smartphone models - X7 and X7 Plus. Both the smartphones share many of the...
Sir/Madam engineers I needed your suggestion, ideas or proposal for our thesis this year.. Hoping for your kindness,.. hope you help me to make a topic 😀
Hello everyone !! I am in 7th sem of btech ECE .I am trying to find some innovative topics for my project. From my side I have been thinking about...
Respected sir Iam a first year btech ECE student .for the tech fest going to be held at our college the focus theme is energy technologies.after searching it had been...