Switching IT to VLSI after 7 years of experience

Hi All

I would like switch from IT to VLSI, currently working for MNC. I’m ECE graduate with 72%. How good is the switch at this moment. Please let me know your inputs and how to proceed further.

Thank you

Replies

• saurabhkk
    saurabhkk
    I too have the same query, having almost 5 year IT experience.... I Did M.Tech in VLSI from NITR and got placed in IT started working in IT itself now thinking to switch into VLSI field in Physical design ... Please suggest how to move into VLSI and how good it will be as per salary wise...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# .

It's important to know the reason you wish to make the switch. Without a solid reason, career switch is going to be challenging.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    #-Link-Snipped-#, that's not enough for a switch. What exactly is the reason you're looking to switch? And there are multiple branches in VLSI. Which one are you looking to switch into? Frontend (design, verif), Backend(synthesis, sta, DFT, PD)?

#-Link-Snipped-#, Salaries are good but it'll be tough start. You'll have to start as a fresher.
  • saurabhkk
    saurabhkk
    Thanks for your revert...
    Yes, I have to start as fresher but I am thinking after 5 years i will be in good position as compare to IT Job. Please say your opinion.
    I am thinking a course in VLSI Physical design from Chipedge Bangalore to have knowledge in specific tools and enter into VLSI.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    saurabhkk
    Thanks for your revert...
    Yes, I have to start as fresher but I am thinking after 5 years i will be in good position as compare to IT Job. Please say your opinion.
    I am thinking a course in VLSI Physical design from Chipedge Bangalore to have knowledge in specific tools and enter into VLSI.
    Switching field is not an easy job and unless you don't have a very good reason it is better to continue, but then again don't think later what would have happened if I would've switched.
    Do your research, but finally take a decision yourself. That way you will not have anyone else to blame and thus will be able to take responsibility to work things out.
  • Srinivas Guthula
    Srinivas Guthula

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - Thanks for your revert. I'm interested in VLSI, due to personal constraints couldn't join in VLSI. Looking at current trend, future, growth, salaries in IT, i look forward to join in VLSI. I have a feeling it would be better than IT after few years from now. Please could you provide your inputs and better way to proceed further.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-#‍ to answer you. He runs his venture in Gujarat and I'm sure he'll have inputs to guide you. 

• Srinivas Guthula
    Srinivas Guthula

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - Please provide your inputs.

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - I would suggest to remain into VLSI field only and instead of switch filed completely try to explore the VLSI more the things that you are not master right now learn it and use it. I can see VLSI is going to have better application and projects coming in upcoming years.

• Srinivas Guthula
    Srinivas Guthula

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - I'm currently in IT field from 7years.. would like to switch to VLSI now. Need your inputs on it.

• Delli Prasad
    Delli Prasad

Hi @#-Link-Snipped-# , have you switched to VLSI. I am from EEE and having 5 years of experience in IT. Would like to Switch to VLSI backend PD.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Building a successful product company requires more than just great engineering, experts will say at the upcoming Embedded Systems Conference in Boston. “Most engineers have a pretty good idea of...
Is 6m depth of foundation (on hard rock) enough for a 20 floors or 65m high building with 52 flats in the building?
I have built an outdoor kitchen and trying to figure out if these beams will be sufice enough these are 10' 9" beams with 7' 9" floating 2x2 14guage tubular...
CEans, We are inching closer to migrating to all new CrazyEngineers. As we've stated earlier, it's a completely revamped site - with code written from scratch. Essentially, it's our first...
Hi there We are three students from Aalborg University in Denmark, who seek to uncover how the software industry collaborates with stakeholders, in particular multiple, different stakeholders, and how the...