Switching from .Net To Performance / Automation Testing

Hi, I'm a .net developer for the past 4 years. I would like to change to Performance/Automation testing. Where should I start from? Guide me please.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    dharaneee
    Hi, I'm a .net developer for the past 4 years. I would like to change to Performance/Automation testing. Where should I start from? Guide me please.
    If you are completely new to the field of testing, I'd say start with understanding the basics of manual testing. You should be familiar with the overall process of discovering bugs and maintaining them; because that'd make it easier to understand automation.

For automation testing and performance testing would need you to know various tools that are typically used. You may have to study HP Unified Functional Testing (UFT) which was formally knows as QTP, or selenium or any custom tool that is used in your project.

If you are looking for opportunity outside of your exiting company, I think the best way would be to join an institute and take a course on any popular tool in the market - typically UFT or Selenium. #-Link-Snipped-# may have recommendations for you.
  • dharaneee
    dharaneee
    Kaustubh,

Thanks for your reply. I want to switch because, There is lot of Onsite opportunities for testing in my current organisation, but not so for .net. I am not interested in manual testing either. Will it be possible to self learn any Automation/Performance tools without going for training? I heard that it would be easy to pickup automation tools with a development background #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    dharaneee
    Will it be possible to self learn any Automation/Performance tools without going for training?
    Yes, it's possible if you are determined, focused and are ready to put in lot of hard work.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    #-Link-Snipped-# - If the sole reason you want to move from .NET to testing is onsite opportunities in your current organization; then I would ask you to think twice. You have spent good 4 years learning and implementing something and now just because you have seen few of the testing folks flying, you are getting a bit agitated?

In my experience development folks has equal chance of onsite and you are not marrying to a company, so you anyways have option to look-out to other companies that have better onsite chance for development.

In any case, if you want to move to Performance / Automation. I would suggest you to go for VSTS, Selenium as your past .NET experience will be a big help for you. For that you need to learn the basic concept of testing and then the tool knowledge. Try taking a self initiative and prepare some automation scripts using VSTS / selenium to showcase your possible worth as a automation tester.

Let me know if you need help in specific area.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

China has established a space debris monitoring centre that will continuously scan the sky for unwanted stuff. The centre will ensure that no space junk hits Chinese spacecrafts orbiting around...
Quote: Not all places have wind all the time and not all places have a good sun all the time. Therefore Poduhvat LTD have decided to offer to market the...
Apple got into direct war with the established music streaming / radio services which includes Spotify, Rdio and everyone else with the announcement of Apple Music. There is a big...
Born in Meerut, India - now an assistant professor of Bioengineering at Stanford University, Prof. Manu Prakash made news last year by astonishing the world with his brainchild - a...
Hi all, I am an ECE graduate with 4 years 11 months exp in BPO domain. It was my first job in and I got promoted as TEAM LEADER since...