Switching fields : The IT Madness

Do you think students are right in changing their fields at the time of campus recruitments?
I mean alot of engineers, apart from IT and Computers, switch over to IT companies to fill their pockets.. Its okay for IT engineers coz its their field.
Fields like mechanical, electrical and civil are core fields and yet we don wait for the dream job to come our way..
We impatiently jump the boat..
Do u seriously think the enthusiasm of doing it big in our own fields is lacking..
What do you guys have to say?

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    It depends on them. People have the freedom to chose what to do. Different people have different viewpoints and we can not say that this point of view is wrong and this is right. It is a personal decision and I don't think we should comment. Personally I won't go for an IT Job and would rather have a core mechanical one but that doesn't mean I am going to stop my class mates from going to an IT company. They have to make the choices themselves.

P.S.
    Please introduce yourself in the CE - Introductions Section.
    Also, it would be nice if you read the rules at New Members - Start Here Section.
    Both these sections are under CE - Start Point.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I believe this holds true mostly for Indian engineers. Not sure if this is true everywhere. I personally believe, being an engineer one should be flexible enough to do any kind of job.

All said, I've something serious to say about it [Keeping the context confined to Indian Engineers]

Most of them (engineers) are into engineers for the jobs' sake - not for the love of engineering. Then, campus recruitment occurs when the students are in third year of engineering. Having an assured high - pay job in hand, while you're still studying is a fantastic feeling. Since making money is the one & the only aim most of them have - they have only one option left - IT/Software.

However, the scenario is changing. Services oriented Indian IT industry is seeing a downtime. Hopefully the situation will get better in future but I hope engineers are well prepared for the IT slowdown. Manufacturing industry is seeing some good light and more jobs are being created. I hope engineers will have opportunities in core industries.

Do u seriously think the enthusiasm of doing it big in our own fields is lacking..
    The enthusiasm existed only in few brilliant minds who jumped into engineering for the love of it & you know what? They are already working in core industries.

For others, the enthusiasm never existed.
  • mechannikhil
    mechannikhil
    I'll give you the perfect case of enthusiasm meeting with good money..
    Look at Orange County Choppers for example.. or even maybe Foose's workshop of Overhaulin'..
    They are real passionate guys and wont care about wats happening in other areas... it is this passion that has led them to become the best designers of the world..
    wat say?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well - that's what I said. Those who are passionate about their own branches of engineering - won't really go into IT for the heck of it.

...and as Sir Richard Branson puts it - "Do what you love and money will follow" 😀
  • yudi
    yudi
    IT companies are hiring other professional for their projects.
    today in this complex world everything is directly or indirectly linked to each other so being an engineer one should be able to take on things smoothly.

in my support these are few points
    1. during 1st year all the engg. student share comman subjects. for ex. engg drawing,workshop tech, physics, chem etc. stream does not matter that time.
    2. mech & automation, civil, ECE, electrical students also have to study programming.
    3. IT/CSE students study some elctronics subjects ex. digital comm.

i can write a report on this topic!
    hope to be right.
  • banu
    banu
    iam in third year IT department. i think what you people say is true.look at the other side of the coin we are left without jobs.
    hope iam quite right
    banu
  • yudi
    yudi
    banu
    iam in third year IT department. i think what you people say is true.look at the other side of the coin we are left without jobs.
    hope iam quite right
    banu

hi banu
    if you got something in you then nobody can grab the job you deserve.
    i know this coz i am from IT domain too.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hoping someone here might be able to help.... Not sure if any of you have seen this product (Loc8tor https://www.loc8tor.co.uk/) but I have one that I brought to keep track...
Heres the thing. I want to make a homemade speaker cabinet. My plan it to put 2, 10" vintage speakers, 2, 12" bass speakers. My plans for the dimensions were...
HI folks! I'm Nikhil B currently into BE mechanical (thats why "MechanNikhil") frm the university of mumbai. I've been searching for a blog and a platform for discussion for quite...
Over the time, we've been getting lots of queries like - 1. Help me: Do you think MBA is worth doing? 2. Help me decide if I should go for...
Hi friends, Actually i was watching some news channel some days back and was listening about those tragic serial bomb blasts in ahemdabad..I heard that some investigations revealed that the...