Swig more Beer - The waste can be used for bone regeneration!

Quote:
Biomaterials for bone regeneration have been developed by researchers from beer brewing waste. The waste obtained from the beer brewing process contains the main chemical components found in bones (phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and silica), that after undergoing modification processes, this waste can be used as support or scaffold to promote bone regeneration for medical applications such as coating prosthesis or bone grafts, researchers report.
Endquote

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Srividhya Rajagopalan
    Srividhya Rajagopalan
    A.V.Ramani
    Quote:
    Biomaterials for bone regeneration have been developed by researchers from beer brewing waste. The waste obtained from the beer brewing process contains the main chemical components found in bones (phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and silica), that after undergoing modification processes, this waste can be used as support or scaffold to promote bone regeneration for medical applications such as coating prosthesis or bone grafts, researchers report.
    Endquote

#-Link-Snipped-#

To add to this, the major component of beer waste is bagasse which can be arranged into a mesh-like network. The pores of the network provide an excellent base for bone regrowth following an injury. The researchers tested the practicality of the bagasse scaffold with osteoclasts derived from mice, which did quite well.

Read more at #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Satellite imagery has played an important role in humanitarian response for almost two decades. Lately, humanitarian organizations are increasingly turning to Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) to be their eyes...
Hi @Ankita Katdare @Kaustubh Katdare I just wanted to know whether we are going to have CE meets again? I would love for the engineers to meet again and discuss....
TieCon Nagpur 2014, scheduled on 23-24 August is central India's biggest conference focused on entrepreneurship and business. This year's TieCon, organised at Hotel Sun And Sand, Nagpur will have a...
What is the correct term for an electromagnet solenoid which the armature includes a permanent magnet on each end or the armature itself is a permanent magnet?
hello evry1....i am Anuj Raj. right nw i m pursuing B.Tech (4th year) from Bengal Institue Of Technology & Management, Santiniketan(West Bengal).