'Sweat Machine' Wrings Sweat Off Your Clothes, Turns It Into Drinking Water!

This is probably the first in its kind. The Sweat Machine, a creation of Swedish engineer Andreas Hammar, wrings sweat off your cloth, purifies it, and then offers the same to you as clean potable drinking water. The machine is based on a technology developed with The Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm in Sweden. As you ruminate over this concept, Hammar goes a step ahead saying that the drinking water extracted off the cloth is cleaner that what you get in normal Swedish tap water.

slide

How the machine works?

The sweat machine heats and spins the cloth extracting whatever liquid it can, and then a membrane filters the extract. The filter is THE most sophisticated part that defines the machine. Water vapour enters the material easily, where salts, bacteria and fibres from the clothes are trapped.

The machine was installed at the UNICEF-organized youth football tournament Gothia Cup in a bid to raise awareness about lack of clean water, and how it's making 780 million people across the world suffer. Fans watching the game could catch up the machine's action, as they quenched their thirst with each others sweat. Swedish soccer players Tobias Hysén and Mohammed Ali Khan, who'd earlier resolved to drink a glass of water extracted from their own sweat, got to have the first sip.

ISS has a similar technology where astronaut's sweat and urine are extracted and are converted to potable drinking water. Though the technology is pretty much the same, Sweat machine is a whole lot cheaper to develop in comparison to ISS's machine.

Replies

• Mehak Rajkhokar
    Mehak Rajkhokar
    It may be beneficial , but personally I don't think I will ever drink such purified water... 😛
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    An astronishing example of reuse a source in other way but I dont think it will get commercial success as most people dont prefer drinking their own sweat.As I said it will be a blessing for adventurers,tourists,etc.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    How many CEans would be ready to drink this water? Would you show faith in the claims of this fellow engineer?👍
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Ankita Katdare
    How many CEans would be ready to drink this water? Would you show faith in the claims of this fellow engineer?👍
    When our fellow engineer do it, Lets hope i would try
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shouldn't be a big deal, actually. On the ISS - they convert their urine into water because that's the best thing to do to conserve water.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello All.... I am new to the here.so say me welcome my name is zaytoon I was browsing this forum for more than a week and today finally decided to...
This year, the placements are going to be a lot stricter as the whole IT industry goes through a tough time. However, few of the companies have shown stronger quarters...
India & Brazil are budget phone heavens - with a large number of competing phone companies importing phones from China and selling them under their own brand name. While the...
(Sent by friend K.Baloo) Remember 1991!!! India's GDP was 5%, Jagmohan Dalmiya was at the helm of BCCI, N R Narayana Murthy was at the helm of Infosys, Mian Muhammad...
It seems that as little as one beer may make one more attractive to a mosquito than a teetotaler. https://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/22988/Getting-Buzzed-Might-Get-You-Bit?frmtrk=cr4digest