Super fast charging batteries go 0-70% in 2 minutes, last for 20 years!

Research engineers at the Nanyang Technology University (NTU) have just turned dreams into reality by developing super fast charging batteries that offer charge for really long time - about 20 years! That means you won't have to replace the batteries in your cell phone or laptop every 4-5 years, like you do normally. But that's not all magical about these new batteries. These are capable of charging from zero to about 70% in just 2 minutes. The team behind the research believes that their innovation can totally bring the much awaited revolution to batteries and energy storage.

The long life of the battery comes from the special gel made up of titanium dioxide, which replaces the traditional graphite anode. Titanium dioxide is abundently available and is used in sunscreen lotions to absorb UV rays. The team is currently busy working on a large prototype to demonstrate their work.

Lithium-Ionen-Accumulator
Disclaimer: Photo above is just a representation, not the actual battery.

The new battery promises to improve the number of charging cycles from current ~500 to whooping ~10,000. This means the electric vehicles (EVs) will be able to save huge costs on battery replacements and also charge in just about 5 to 10 minutes. There's no planned schedule for the batteries to reach your phones and laptops; but we hope they do in the next few months.

Do share your thoughts on this development via comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    This is the biggest thing in Technology I have heard in the recent times! If this goes through, it will be awesome 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shashank Moghe
    This is the biggest thing in Technology I have heard in the recent times! If this goes through, it will be awesome 😀
    It is, indeed. A lot of research teams across the world are trying to solve the battery problem. More than 'longer lasting' batteries, I think we desperately need the batteries that can store more charge. I'm totally sick of my android draining out in just a day.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Haha 😀 I bought a Canvas 2, and it started working weird a couple of days after the warranty expired a year later. I have a new Android now, which lasts 1 day, at the most.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Another question would be - Can we have smart batteries in our phones that recharge on its own when the capacity reaches below 10%? They could be smart enough to use the strongest source - say solar energy or some kind of bodily movements or something yet not thought of. I guess mankind is now sufficiently advanced to go beyond "I am trying to find a charging point." Our devices should soon be smart enough to to charge on their own to be up & running when we need the most.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just have a little confusion that regarding polymorphism that is method overloading and overriding really a part of polymorphism becoz somewhere I get to know that method overloading is...
i would like to know in brief the procedure for carrying out markings for placing of pillars?
i am working on a project of making race car for some international competition . According to rules , the noise level should be less than 110 db . I...
If you thought you could spill a cup of coffee on your keyboard in a furious state of mind after reading an online troll and clean it up later thinking...
I was reading additional material about Samsung's research about 5X transmission speeds and came across an article that said soon Samsung's stock would jump. I've read about it multiple times...