Sunway TaihuLight - The 93 Petaflop Supercomputer Is World's Fastest And Is All "Made In China"

Say hello to Sunway TaihuLight, the fastest supercomputer humans have ever seen. The new topper in the TOP500 list of global supercomputers beats the previous record holder, Tianhe-2 by the factor of 3. What's more amazing about the Sunway TaihuLight is that it's entirely China made and does not rely on American processors. The big machine relies on locally made ShenWei processor and custom interconnect called Sunway Network. The new supercomputer establishes Chinese dominance on the supercomputing technology without relying on Western technology.

The supercomputer was released yesterday at the International Supercomputing Conference (ISC) in Germany. It is currently functional at the National Supercomputing Center at Wuxi near Shanghai. The primary job of Sunway TaihuLight will be to help with top-notch engineering and research, in climate and weather related calculations, advanced biological and geological research and in manufacturing and big data analytics.

Sunway TaihuLight Supercomputer China
Image Credit: CCTV News / ASIA TODAY​

Chinese National Research Center of Parallel Computer Engineering and Technology aka NRCPC has developed the Sunway TaihuLight using homegrown processors. The SW26010 is a 260 core microchip that cranks a little over 3 teraflops. The TaihuLight has a single of this processor in each of the 40960 nodes; allowing the machine to to 125 peak petaflops. The Linpack mark leaves out the a couple of petaflops to mark 93 petaflops performance.

The TaihuLight is also lesser power hungry than the Tianhe-2. While Tianhe-2 consumes 17.8MW, the TaihuLight only requires 15.3 MW. The machine runs on Sunway Raise OS; which is derived from the standard Linux along with the twists and tweaks necessary to make it work with TaihuLight architecture.

Read more interesting information about the hardware on the official source below. We look forward to reading your comments and thoughts.

Source: China Tops Supercomputer Rankings with New 93-Petaflop Machine | TOP500

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am Mechanical Engineer with very less knowledge of IT and "C" programming. I want to make my career in Software Testing. But I am confused about with which course...
A team of engineers at the MIT Media Lab has devised a new technique that lets them quickly model (bypassing a major design step) and 3D print hair-like structures with...
which software is better for conducting hydraulic calculation of complex piping networks. like Pipenet or WaterGems or etc
Taiwan smartphone manufacturer hasn’t made waves in the crowded Indian market and nor is it going to thanks to the new smartphone in the country that retails for Rs. 14,990...
Am I the only one here who isn't getting proper response ? Posted 2 discussion about my project idea on Augmented Reality, in one I was told the project was...