Suicide proof ceiling fan

Here's a project idea for mechanical engineering students. How about designing a ceiling fan that is suicide proof but will offer exceptional level of reliability during day-to-day operations? The ceiling fan was invented by Philip H Diehl, a German engineer in 1892 and I'm sure he had no idea that people would find out other, unintended uses of it - to hang themselves to death.

In the meanwhile, a doctor from MP, India has invented such a fan; but I'm still looking forward to some innovative designs that improve the reliability. Would appreciate if someone can post actual CAD.

What say?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    A suicide proof fan😨,
    Well it will definetly cost more than regular fans and if any one going to pay more for Suicide Proof Fan, what should it mean😲
    By the way I saw a very unusual video today😘
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    How about this?

#-Link-Snipped-#

Bladeless, light weight plastic device. Shape unsuitable to attach a rope. Even if someone contrived to attach one and hang from it, all that will happen is a fall from the traditional stool, a possible sprained ankle and a whack on the head from the falling plastic pieces for the attempted misdemeanour.
    A real innovation.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    How about this?

#-Link-Snipped-#

Bladeless, light weight plastic device. Shape unsuitable to attach a rope. Even if someone contrived to attach one and hang from it, all that will happen is a fall from the traditional stool, a possible sprained ankle and a whack on the head from the falling plastic pieces for the attempted misdemeanour.
    A real innovation.
    That's definitely an interesting concept. Assuming that the life of an average ceiling fan about 15 years (?), I'd definitely want something that can fit with existing ceiling fans so that people don't commit suicides with it.

Looking forward to more comments.
  • Hamlet
    Hamlet
    Very creative idea. But if anyone wants to die, its very difficult to restrain him from that.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    some kind of a strain gauge and a sensor, can be attached at the shackle assembly of the fan to gauge the overall weight of the fan.

when a person hangs, the overall weight may increase ten fold, and this will open all the joints causing the fan to fall from the ceiling.

but then that again may hurt the user, fatally.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    to be honest, i think this is not feasible nor practical in the first place.

no offense meant, but i think this idea has generated more from a philantropic point of view rather than, an engineering point of view.

the ceiling fan is not the only tool for committing suicide. if a person cannot hang himself from a fan, then he will try some other means of ending his life.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    what
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's a project idea for mechanical engineering students. How about designing a ceiling fan that is suicide proof but will offer exceptional level of reliability during day-to-day operations? The ceiling fan was invented by Philip H Diehl, a German engineer in 1892 and I'm sure he had no idea that people would find out other, unintended uses of it - to hang themselves to death.

In the meanwhile, a doctor from MP, India has invented such a fan; but I'm still looking forward to some innovative designs that improve the reliability. Would appreciate if someone can post actual CAD.

What say?
    what is the mp doctor's innovation.?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Simplest option is to change the bolt that is used to suspend the fan from the hook to a shear bolt. This is standard mechanical engineering practice as a safety feature to protect machinery from damage in case of excess torque or tension. The bolt is stable for the weight of the fan at full load and when off. It shears when an extra weight (of the potential suicide) comes on it.
    Shear Pin
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    A.V.Ramani
    #-Link-Snipped-#

the most absurd thing i have ever come across !
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    But who will even expect that some one staying in that room is going to commit suicide by hanging from a fan. And why will anyone buy such a device to lower your morale. Plus you know that we have tendency to function in opposite direction. If you know you cannot suicide makes you crazy to do it. 😛
  • Shah Sharath
    Shah Sharath
    ITS BEST IDEA to be in all school/college hostel and in hotels too
  • Shah Sharath
    Shah Sharath
    if we make a idea to make the fan's rod to heat automatically when tha fan's head load increase it cut the rope
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    @#-Link-Snipped-# . I like the innovation you are putting in this project but why do you think my friend that any one would want to buy such fans under the name "Suicide-proof". The name itself is discouraging and provoking. It can be deployed as rather under some other concept which would make it a more useful product. I m sure you can come up with something.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Looks as though even some of the existing fans are suicide proof:
    Clipping of The New Indian Express Group - The New Indian Express-Bengaluru
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Gravity kills everyone.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes no one ever want a ceiling fan with the name of suicidep proof fan.If they want to build it, They had to make it mandatory.
    If a person decidea to die, I think there are many ways to do it so it is better to induce positiveness in people.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I see that in the recent times, the Internet radio is rapidly being adopted and services like Rdio and Pandora are popular than ever. That said, the traditional radio (FM...
At a time when governments across the world are implementing surveillance programs like PRISM, keeping your anonymity has become quite difficult; in times like these people have been heavily relying...
CEans, we're continuously working on resolving the issues and have managed to get the site back online. It'd be nice if you could keep an eye on the 'users online'...
Can anyone provide IS 14223 for me so that I can get some details about polishing of Kotah stone flooring.
How do you categorize your Folders / bookmarks? Organizing this is tedious work. I've got thousands of Documents, Utilities, bookmarks and I am about to undertake the task to organize...