Suggestion for a touch phone

Guys please suggest me what should i go for lumia 720, samsung grand or any other such touch phone preferably an android one

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sandeepan_ME
    Guys please suggest me what should i go for lumia 720, samsung grand or any other such touch phone preferably an android one
    Your choice would totally depend on what you're looking for in the phone. Be aware that Galaxy Grand is Android based while the Lumia has Windows. Please check out whether they're in your budget and the apps you're planning to use are available in respective stores.

Is there anything else you're looking for in your phone so that we can advise you better?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    This totally depends on the requirements.
    I would personally suggests not to go for Lumia 720. Although design, look and feel and feature wise, this is great phone to have. However recently many consumers had reported the issue that Lumia 720 devices are facing problem of screen freeze after 6 months.

Please search for the same on forums, and then go for your choice.

Best of Luck for phone hunting.

-CB
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Well, that totally depends on your budget and the features you are looking for. If you are going for Android, there are a lot of options available. Just open up any e-commerce site and browse through your options.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# IF you can "wait", then wait few more months (like 2-4 months) #-Link-Snipped-#are at their final stage. All the main applications are coded & everything is working now : All fixed. The wait is worth it, trust me.

But, If you are impatient, then I will suggest any Android phones over Windows phones due to tonnes of reasons (which I am tired to post everytime people ask for suggestion of phones)
    But, I will suggest you Google Nexus over Samsung Grand.
    Google Nexus is way better than Grand in every aspect, every!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I don't think lumia is a good choice for a college guy, you should go with android.
    Galaxy Grand does mocks S3 but resolution is not good.
    No doubt S3 is awesome phone you can surely trade a few month old in less than 20K
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# IF you can "wait", then wait few more months (like 2-4 months) #-Link-Snipped-#are at their final stage. All the main applications are coded & everything is working now : All fixed. The wait is worth it, trust me.

But, If you are impatient, then I will suggest any Android phones over Windows phones due to tonnes of reasons (which I am tired to post everytime people ask for suggestion of phones)
    But, I will suggest you Google Nexus over Samsung Grand.
    Google Nexus is way better than Grand in every aspect, every!

Sorry, I forgot Nexus4 is also in a great phone
    But I would not suggest to wait for Ubuntu. Get a Nexus4/S3 and devs on xda will port ubuntu on it then you can try Ubuntu.😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    It's been more than 4-5 months & even though Ubuntu is ported to most famous devices, everything is not working because porting is not always easy.
    Many sound driver bugs, wifi bugs & many more.

Only phone which runs Ubuntu flawlessly is Google Nexus, just because it's officially supported by Canonical & Ubuntu can be installed in it just by connecting the Nexus with computer via USB & by entering few simple commands from Ubuntu desktop/laptop.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I heard that Lava will launch Firefox OS based phones in India. I'm not sure if that really makes sense. What do you say?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I heard that Lava will launch Firefox OS based phones in India. I'm not sure if that really makes sense. What do you say?
    Firefox will be solid OS, and like all under-rated applications & development boards, this OS will also won't get much response from customers & developers all over the world due to lack of awareness & marketing.

In India, most non-techie people will prefer Android over Firefox, as they've heard word "Android" a lot more than "Firefox OS".
    Only FF fanboys gonna opt for Firefox OS based phones, which includes me.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    ianoop
    I don't think lumia is a good choice for a college guy, you should go with android.
    Galaxy Grand does mocks S3 but resolution is not good.
    No doubt S3 is awesome phone you can surely trade a few month old in less than 20K
    Don't ever think of Samsung Galaxy S3.
    Against this phone many severe problems are reported, just search Samsung Galaxy S3 sudden death and you will find tonnes of complains for the same.

So beware.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    crazyboy
    Don't ever think of Samsung Galaxy S3.
    Against this phone many severe problems are reported, just search Samsung Galaxy S3 sudden death and you will find tonnes of complains for the same.

So beware.

-CB
    I doubt there are actually so many problems with the phone. #-Link-Snipped-# owns an S3, and I think he's happy with it.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I doubt there are actually so many problems with the phone. #-Link-Snipped-# owns an S3, and I think he's happy with it.
    Believe me, per Surveys S3 was the worst Samsung Phone out of Samsung's Popular 'S' series (Just because of Sudden death issue).

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    crazyboy
    Believe me, per Surveys S3 was the worst Samsung Phone out of Samsung's Popular 'S' series (Just because of Sudden death issue).

-CB
    I'd wait to hear from Ash for his first hand review of the Galaxy S3.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If you search for problems with s2 then also you will get lots of results like heating. My friend own S3 for 8 months no problem so far.
    Problem with Android is there are too many apps to play with and shit happens.. On counter there are lots devs to deal with it.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The sudden death issue affected a certain batch of S3 phones. In fact, mine was in that batch, but so far I've escaped it (luckily). The new firmware upgrade should have fixed it by now. Of course, it was a very painful experience for those affected.. it happens without warning. The motherboard had to be replaced and all your data that is saved on the phone memory was gone. So the lesson here is, always back up (or save important info on SD)!

Other than that, the S3 has been great. Had it for a year now.

Great screen & performance. Sound is decent, but not great. Better off with headphones. Camera performs admirably during the day, but night time performance not so.

I use the S3 a lot for navigation on Google Maps. The screen size seems quite optimal, and touch responses is good when pinching and zooming around maps. The GPS performance is great.. especially in assisted mode. From a cold start, you can get a lock within in a few seconds.

A few low points. Like most android multi core phones, he battery doesn't last that long. You'll need to play around with screen brightness, turning data on/off, remove unwanted apps, etc. Or, you can get higher capacity battery.. at the expense of making the phone thicker. Also, it can get hot after extended use (such as playing games after many hours). If under normal use, phone temperatures are alright.

All in all, very happy with the S3. Should probably last me for another 2-3 years, especially since there is talk that its compatible with the next Android version.

Before getting the S3, I was following the MeeGo project quite closely. Was on the verge of getting an N9, but seeing how development faltered, would probably wait to see how Tizen, Firefox OS & Ubuntu Touch performs.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, so we agree on the 'sound is not great' part. I've used Samsung Wave S8500 and the sound quality beats any damn Galaxy phone out their in the world. I wonder why Samsung decided to compromise on the music quality of the Galaxy devices 😕
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, so we agree on the 'sound is not great' part. I've used Samsung Wave S8500 and the sound quality beats any damn Galaxy phone out their in the world. I wonder why Samsung decided to compromise on the music quality of the Galaxy devices 😕
    I could probably guess hardware space is a premium. Sacrifice sound for something else. I haven't checked out S4 yet at the stores, you think they improved it by now?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    I could probably guess hardware space is a premium. Sacrifice sound for something else. I haven't checked out S4 yet at the stores, you think they improved it by now?
    I didn't check the sound quality; but the screen is *definitely* better. Full HD is pure pleasure to eyes.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I didn't check the sound quality; but the screen is *definitely* better. Full HD is pure pleasure to eyes.
    I don't think Samsung compromised on sound hardware. It seems like driver side problem to me.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't think Samsung compromised on sound hardware. It seems like driver side problem to me.
    Not the sound chip, mostly its the poor loudspeaker & problematic jack. Many users are complaining lack of sound from the right side when connected to external speakers (e.g in cars). Seems this issue stems from recent batches.

But when it works properly, listening through headphones is enjoyable though.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What do you think are the biggest misconceptions society has about engineers? I'm especially focusing on the misconceptions the non-engineers have about engineers. Here's one: Being an engineer - they...
Hello Friends I was wondering How much iphone 5 will cost me If some send it to me through US , Hongkong or Dubai? Will it be on same price...
With the founders left with < 15% stake in the company and investors controlling majority of stake; it seems to me like a win-win situation for everyone. The bus ticketing...
Now it has became very normal that before release of any APPLE product we gets tonnes of speculations and rumors. This time rumors are for next inline product for Apple...
What if there was a switch for friction and someone flipped that switch off? Can you imagine a world without friction? What would it be like? How would we adapt?...