Suggest prizes for our competitions

CEans,

CE will be organizing contests in near future and seeks your feedback on prizes we can have for the contests.

The budget for the prize(s) would be about $200.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's one idea I've received in past (and I personally liked it) -

CE Gear:

CE Branded Embroidered Cap (Great quality!)
    CE Branded T-Shirt/Jacket/T-Shirt/Polo Shirt
    CE Branded Mug πŸ˜€
    CE Branded Name Cards 😁

-------------------------------------------------
    Another Idea
    iPod (boring! πŸ˜” )
    -------------------------------------------------
    Add yours.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    CE Branded Scientific calculator
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    How about a customized mp4 player? Other than Apple, maybe we could ask Sandisk, Iriver or Samsung to make some with a CE logo and design πŸ˜‰
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    How about a PDA phone which supports 3G functions.

CE-Gear is a good idea though.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    How about a customized mp4 player? Other than Apple, maybe we could ask Sandisk, Iriver or Samsung to make some with a CE logo and design πŸ˜‰
    You think so? Customizing an MP3 player would be bit difficult. Try having a word with these companies.

Or, is there any company that does it?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Damn. Most offering customized logos have minimum order quantities that exceed $200 πŸ˜”

Or we could order the original one and paint on it ourselves *grin*
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Well, according to me- thing is just not spending money, it is about its better use. If one wants to give any prize, why not give things that could be of some use to engineers here.

Like Digit/PCQuest or any other similar stuff for CS engineers
    Some electronic stuff(chips and blah blah..sorry I don't know terms) that could be helpful in making any projects for them.
    Same can be applied to other branches also.

PS: T-shirts, caps, ipods these days everyone have -what would one do with them? Ya though it could a good prize for a particular type of category. πŸ˜‰
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Pen drives
    Registering for CEans , to attend Conferences like GIDS,etc.,
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pen Drives? Not too sure.

@ Ash - how much does a customized MP3 player cost?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    Pen Drives? Not too sure.

@ Ash - how much does a customized MP3 player cost?
    A custom Ipod shuffle (1GB) is $64. Minimum order is 25. At 50 qty, they are $59 each.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Generic MP3s are cheaper.. for 1 GB (@ qty 25) its $ 23.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Oh by the way, If you can make a CrazyEngineers cap.. I would personally buy one!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm, yep. The CE Gear Store is long pending. I think things are already growing bigger than me.

Maybe time to hire CE's first employee.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    How about the latest new BMW X6? Thats a great gift πŸ˜€

Lol! I think a cap, Tee, mug and all are too common. An MP3 player is a bit costly. How about a CE branded mouse? It cost us below $20.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    shalini_goel14
    Like Digit/PCQuest or any other similar stuff for CS engineers
    Some electronic stuff(chips and blah blah..sorry I don't know terms) that could be helpful in making any projects for them.
    I agree!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The prize should appeal to -

1. Worldwide audience of CE.
    2. Engineers from any engineering discipline.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I agree with Mayur on the BMW
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    No problem.. only around $80!

#-Link-Snipped-#

πŸ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Back off, you spammers! :evil:
    ​

Anyone with great ideas here?
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    The_Big_K
    Back off, you spammers! :evil:
    ​
    πŸ˜’
    Bruwahhahahaaa.

Okay, how about a Quest video lecture? Thats a gift good enough?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Quest Video Lecture, T-Shirt will accompany the main Gift. Quest is available only for 11.45 USD.

Our budget is $200.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    The_Big_K
    Our budget is $200.
    This is per gift?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Per competition.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Quest Video Lecture seems very attractive.. I'm game for it.

I think if the prizes are engineering discipline specific, it'll be more attractive and useful to the winners.

Basically, what I propose is that, we decide upon some 4 to 5 prizes on various disciplines and announce those are the prizes at the beginning of the competition.

Once the contest is over and the winner(s) are announced, they can select which one they want as prize. This way, we can be sure that the prize is useful to the winners.

Agreed, it's difficult to find prizes of equal value in different disciplines.

May I also suggest some prizes.

1) Technical magazines. Every engineering discipline will have good technical publications. We can give subscriptions to them as prizes.

2) Components used for projects. I can't think of anything other than electronic components, but Lego kits are one thing which can be appealing to almost all disciplines. Lego Mindstorms is about USD 250. But we can sure find cheaper entry level models.. That'll be great. πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The gifts mostly depends upon who actually wins.

For example for an electrical engineer who is working for a software company the electrical components are of no use.
    SS am not aguing with you dude, just providing ideas.

How about a Electric Guitar πŸ˜‰ there are few guitars which we can get for 180 to 200 USD.

And BTW how many prizes are being proposed for one competetion?

Only 1st prize?

Can we plan for say 1 2 and 3 prizes such that 3 winners and 3 gifts in 200USD. The range of the gifts may be different?

Only one winner is not so good (my opinion)

And many people here are Gym goers πŸ˜‰.
    So how about a kit for it?
    i dont know the price ranges though!!!

So few more ideas to come πŸ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Well, I also completely agree with Scorpion. πŸ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    English-Scared
    Can we plan for say 1 2 and 3 prizes such that 3 winners and 3 gifts in 200USD. The range of the gifts may be different?

Only one winner is not so good (my opinion)
    Nice Concept +1 From My side
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I did not do an extensive search.
    But I know online courses can be made feasible
    For this location is no boundary, nor is the access nor is the cost and as well useful for any one who wins .

Since majority here are students, may be we can arrange with companies for their thesis or project work. I might be sounding completely ridiculous by saying we will do the talking, but its gonna be a gift what Ceans can actually learn from.

Rest, you have norms such as accessories. Yup, customised ones rock, but many might be already using one of them, so whats the use in handing over a second one?

Ash, I arent sure of softwares but do they cost soemthing around? we can give away useful softwares which fall in this price range right?

How can i forget this???!!!

*IEEE subscription*

making the CEan an IEEE member!! How is this one. They will have access to all the technical papers for 1 yr ( till their member ship exists) . trust me they are the greatest treasures.
    P.S I looked at IEEE website for details regarding the pricing sites down.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Here are some suggestions and am not advertising these products:-

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Or
    You can give some accessories keeping in mind the recipient's engineering discipline.

P.S. How about a complete Gym equipment set for gym goers. In $200, you will get a decent bench, weights and 2 rods, and a cycling machine.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Folks, great suggestions!

The prizes will have to be announced on the day 1 of the competition. I'm not sure how workable the 'discipline specific prize' idea is. However, I still think it's a good idea.

I've also been thinking of an innovative product - Mechanical Mobile Charger - very useful as all of us have mobile phones. Mechanical mobile charger allows you to charge your mobile anywhere and it's a great accompaniment if you are traveling.

We can sponsor them for all our top 3 winners.

Just an idea.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    durga
    How can i forget this???!!!
    *IEEE subscription*
    down.
    I'm already an IEEE member. I think it's about USD 25 per year or something. Or, if you feel it's too low, then it must be the subsidized prize for students of our college. Anyhow, IEEE subscription might be useful. Good suggestion..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I like the idea of providing IEEE membership. I'm not sure of the benefits of IEEE membership. Can someone post the benefits of IEEE membership in a separate thread in General Help section?
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    How about giving them the money to decide what to do with it plus a CE T-shirt.
    or
    Getting them some sort of CE trophy
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Giving money is not a very good idea.

The 'subscription' idea posted earlier is good.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    IEEE memberships are good for those who REALLY need them. The usual benefits, from a perspective of a student is:

1. Access to more articles, but not all. You'll need to subscribe extra to the societies to get more articles. But usually the standard access is enough for students.

Able to join your college IEEE chapter (if they have one). Also able to join activities organized by the regional IEEE group. This is usually country based. If you have a local IEEE chapter in your university, you'll get funding from your regional IEEE group.

An IEEE alias email address. Something like #-Link-Snipped-#.

4. IEEE is quite a prestigious organization, so being a member of it shows (somewhat) that you keep updated with latest trends and journals in technologies and their inner workings. This looks good in your CV πŸ˜‰

Hardcopy subscription to the monthly IEEE Spectrum magazine. This is an awesome mag, even if quite thin.

Not sure if its a plus, but you do get a thin membership card with your name on it. It'll look better once you laminate it, I suppose.

7. Networking with other IEEE engineers around the world, if one is proactive of course.

Again, its important that the CEan really wishes to become an IEEE member, and not just use it for a while and neglect it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ Ash : Thanks a ton for this. I had no clue about IEEE memberships.

Again, its important that the CEan really wishes to become an IEEE member, and not just use it for a while and neglect it.
    Yes, the most important thing is that the prize should really appeal to the winner.

Do you think it's a good idea to go with generic electronic stuff like "Headphones", "iPods" or "Pen Drives" as our gifts?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeah, I prefer if we have more general types of prizes until we have more budget to dish out multiple ones to satisfy each engineering discipline separately πŸ˜€

Since frankly there aren't many active CEans yet, a general prize would at least allow anyone to participate in a competition. Or else, there would be no appeal for them if the top prize is something he/she could not use or benefit at all.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Bigger budget prizes would follow, of course. If we manage to get a sponsor, we would not mind sending our CEans on World Tour 😁

It's high time we've had a competition on CE. We may launch a competition in next 5 days or so.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    True! use should be interested as well.
    @ ash- you forgot one more benefit
    IEEE meetings which are conducted. Ok! you really don't need to be a member to attend those, but then the 3-5 day meets are really filled with information. 😁

P.S: i was almost in tears when I saw the membership 'slip'.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    IEEE Membership !

Super idea
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Why IEEE? It's main focus is on Electrical, Electronics and IT Fields. It is for for the advancement of technology related to electricity.

What will the people of Civil, Structural and Mechanical Branch do if they win? Give the membership they won to one of you guys, hmmmm.

You don't see Gohm or me suggesting SAE membership as a gift. It is only for mechanical students and would not be fair on other branches. Likewise, Mayur has not named any "only for Civil Branch" organization.

A prize should be a thing that is common to all. We can not be selfish on such things.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just a quicky - does IEEE annual membership include subscription to Spectrum Magazine?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    raj87verma88
    Why IEEE? It's main focus is on Electrical, Electronics and IT Fields. It is for for the advancement of technology related to electricity.

What will the people of Civil, Structural and Mechanical Branch do if they win? Give the membership they won to one of you guys, hmmmm.

You don't see Gohm or me suggesting SAE membership as a gift. It is only for mechanical students and would not be fair on other branches. Likewise, Mayur has not named any "only for Civil Branch" organization.

A prize should be a thing that is common to all. We can not be selfish on such things.
    IEEE memberships can be gifted to those who want it.

However, we should have generic gifts that might appeal to anyone.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm. How about giving away commercial software that's under $200?

Any ideas?

I'm looking at this -> #-Link-Snipped-#
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    The_Big_K
    Just a quicky - does IEEE annual membership include subscription to Spectrum Magazine?
    dude you taking about this >->#-Link-Snipped-#
  • adinickluv
    adinickluv
    durga

*IEEE subscription*

making the CEan an IEEE member!! How is this one. They will have access to all the technical papers for 1 yr ( till their member ship exists) . trust me they are the greatest treasures.
    P.S I looked at IEEE website for details regarding the pricing sites down.
    IEEE registrations is i think one of the best ideas for any engineer to get as an award will to the thing..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Patty! chillax ! IEEE was a suggestion!

Firstly, we don't buy memberships in advance, they are done once the winner is declared, so there is really no need to get a discussion of branches . all are engineers here . We don't distinguish between engineers πŸ˜€
  • adinickluv
    adinickluv
    Oooops..!! Sorry about that Durga but i didnt meant to distinguish between engineers, I was just supporting the suggestion of giving an IEEE membership. I also agree that it wont work for the guys who are in mechanical and civil field so as Mr. Big K suggested we can give the membership who needs it,,
    The next option is giving a Hard Disk of a good capacity or as everybody uses Internet access why not provide routers or wireless Adapters for one who uses Lap Tops..
    Yeah, we can also do one thing of subscribing the winner with a magazine(like chip, digit or other good ones) for 1 or 2 year as per the budget or the decision maker's choice...
    What do u say guys..??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    adinickluv
    The next option is giving a Hard Disk of a good capacity or as everybody uses Internet access why not provide routers or wireless Adapters for one who uses Lap Tops..
    Sounds good. Anything that'd be useful to engineers.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Hard disks can be quite useful..

How about those 1 terabyte mega storage disks??!!
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    Wallets and Purses of good quality acc. to the gender can be great
    I would love to get stuff like
    HV capacitors, neon transformers of high rating lolz I love collecting them and using them in projects 😁

maybe you can provide stuff to people of different trades with something related to their field
    like if I win and get a small synchronous motor say 1200 rpm, Ill be happy in fact happiest lolz

for ipods and stuff, most of us already have them. πŸ˜€
    In short words, give things that we dont normally buy but with what we can do great things. πŸ˜€

Tshirt and Caps would be really cool too. 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, shipping could be a problem - but not always. Let's see. I'm noting it in my notepad 😁

Or simply, we may ask our winners for their wish list and send the items that are under $200 πŸ˜‰
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Patty, chill bro πŸ˜€ I agree with you about general prizes. An IEEE membership would be a waste if the recipient does not take advantage of it (whoever they are).

Just to avoid any confusion (and hence generalization) with IEEE, it isnt just for disciplines that deal with "electricity". Its a platform that tries to address all sorts of technologies and works with other disciplines, as these days knoweldge across different fields are overlapping.. such as robotics. There are societies that deal with vehicular, aeronautical and even nuclear technologies. In fact, there are even a number of non-engineers who are IEEE members.. such as dealing with the business and ethics side of engineering.

The IEEE Spectrum magazine is included with the subscription. Again, its not an "electrical" magazine.. its contents deal with all sorts of technologies. One of the articles I've read last time dealt with weapons acquisitions and nuclear stockpiles. Probably a magazine akin to PopSci, appealing to those who appreciate technology in general.

The last thing engineering organizations would want to do is alienate other disciplines.. especially if knowledge can be shared across to create a synergy. This is pretty much the future of engineering. IEEE knows this, SAE knows this.. and so do we folks at CrazyEngineers πŸ˜€
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    What is the use of IEEE membership? What are all the benefits will I have as a CS Student? Does it really helpful to CS student?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    @ biggie
    Wishlist is a good idea πŸ˜€

@ms_cs
    It may or may not be useful. If you want to have access to useful journals for your CS research, then it may be. See the rest of the benefits I've listed if they useful for you πŸ˜€

I almost forgot. IEEE student members have access to free Microsoft software. I mentioned it on this thread:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    ash
    @ biggie
    Wishlist is a good idea πŸ˜€
    I agree with that too
    best idea so far lolz
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    m opening an old thread here.

well I think for the prizes, we should be giving things that are appealing to all.
    Things like basic computer hardware such as mouse,mouse pads, headphones etc, Rapidshare/Megaupload membership, domain registration,webhosting solutions, softwares etc. Though giving away cash can also be considered as it gives the user the option to spend it on anything he likes. If a person already has RapidShare acc then he may skip the contest giving off a RS account, thinking that he already has one.
    Ofcourse let the type of contest decide on what has to be given.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Thanks for bumping this thread, Ops!

Biggie, how about Ebay gift vouchers (via paypal)? : #-Link-Snipped-#

Recipient can use it to spend on anything on ebay from sellers who accept Paypal payments. However, we'd need to test it out first 'cause I'm reading somewhere in the fine print regarding possible credit card verification for recipient end (which might be an issue for those without one).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Have you all had a look at #-Link-Snipped-# ? I guess we've pretty cool gift items there (especially for the geeks). Let me know.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Some interesting stuff on that website (the sleeping bag one was hilarious). For the electronic hobbyist, you can also check out sparkfun.com. Almost all the essential stuff one needs for projects (especially ones posted on CE).

I think we can try to opt for gift certificates, so that winners are free to choose what they can buy on those websites.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The tee's embedded with music and guitar are awesome πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

World Environment Day (WED) was established by the UN General Assembly in 1972 to mark the opening of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment. WED is Commemorated yearly on...
Well, almost. I never did get that second, as they call it. But I'm a hobbyist from way back. What got me into electronics was a project I had my...
hai i`m doing my 3rd Btech and my branch of study is ECE. Now i`m in a dilemma to choose my career. In acutal, i`m a bit intrested in the...
i want ideas about traffic light control ambulanceπŸ‘
There were three guys namely Chester , Mike n Rob they all are considered as the the most logical persons . To decide among themselves that who is the most...