Suggest Me Low-end/Mid-end Router.

Last year, during same season i.e Monsoon my old modem was shorted .Yesterday too same happened to my modem (I am not sure though). Modem doesn't blinks the Power LED when i connect adapter, so I think it's again shorted.

Can you suggest me very good modem of price range 1.8K to 2.6K ? It should have wi-fi & Ethernet port (ofcourse it has) for PC. With 2-3 years warranty & very reliable.
PS : It shouldn't short again in 2014 monsoon !

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    are you looking for a with modem + wifi router ? or just a wifi route and the ISP has already provided you with modem?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    durga
    are you looking for a with modem + wifi router ? or just a wifi route and the ISP has already provided you with modem?
    I am using wired connection only, as I using desktop more.
    What ISP provided me is ADSL2+ MODEM, which is dead now.
    I want to buy new mid-range modem with which I can connect desktop as wired & my all other wireless devices with wifi.
    So please suggest me any mid-range router (or modem, whatever it is called) ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I would highly recommend you have a separate modem + router. These days modem+router combo devices are under powered and not reliable. Just get a cheap ADSL modem with a good router. You may need to increase your budget, but its certainly worth the investment. Put the modem in bridge mode, and let your router do all the work, such as IP allocation, port forwarding, etc.

In the future, you may use different internet connections other than ADSL (e.g fiber). So modem needs to change, but the router can still be used.

Router
    For the router, I recommend the TP-Link WR1043ND. Its one of the best value routers with 4 gigabit LAN ports and 300 Mb WiFi. It also has a USB port that you can connect a USB drive or HDD drive for sharing over the network. A lot of praise for this one. If you want, you can try to flash DD WRT or Open WRT on it (though its best to check if the existing firmware version supports this).

Modem
    For the modem, any basic one with ADSL2+ capability is sufficient. e.g D-Link DSL-526B.

If in Malaysia, Router would cost about $45, while the Modem about $13.

Regarding the monsoon issue, its best to use lighting surge protectors that includes options to plug in the RJ11 connector (from your telephone jack port). This will protect your modem better.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Thanks ,man.
    But, TP-Link WR1043ND is alone costs me 4700 bucks here. Not my budget.
    I simply want, combo:
    Online Shopping India | Buy Mobiles, Electronics, Appliances, Clothing and More Online at Flipkart.com

or

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok, there is this DLink wireless router ( for some 1200Rs) which supports MIMO, I have no clue what cloud router is, but I had used it for sometime and its pretty easy.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

there are few Dlink models(Modem + Router) as well which are well within your budget.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thanks ๐Ÿ˜€
    BTW from the two routers I have linked above., which one is better ?
    Will it satisfy everything which I mentioned in my 1st & 2nd post ?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Online Shopping India | Buy Mobiles, Electronics, Appliances, Clothing and More Online at Flipkart.com has better specs.

antenna is
    Built-in MIMO(multiple antennas). and wireless tech isโ€‹
    IEEE 802.11b/g/n which is supporting multiple antennas, hence may be better data rates.โ€‹

โ€‹
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Thanks there ๐Ÿ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    No worries!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Bump!
    Looking for better Modem + Router (2in1) from below, help me choose one :
    1) #-Link-Snipped-#

2) TP-LINK TD-W8151N 150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2 Modem Router - TP-Link : Flipkart.com

3) #-Link-Snipped-#

BTW how one can say by looking whether it is modem cum router or not ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What's your budget? Why not buy the ASUS Asus DSL-N10E Wireless-N150 ADSL Modem Router - ASUS : Flipkart.com ?
    I second Biggie, This seems best. But still depends on your budget.

I think #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# using this modem so they might share some review.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, a disclaimer: I've used Asus router and deeply satisfied (and happy) with it. The one I suggested seems to fit the bill; but I haven't used it personally. I like their configuration software and the general robustness of the device.

The one I suggested seems to fit the bill.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What's your budget? Why not buy the ASUS Asus DSL-N10E Wireless-N150 ADSL Modem Router - ASUS : Flipkart.com ?
    It says Wireless with Modem, so it won't require extra modem(or any other shit) to connect to world of internet, right ?
    Just ensuring, I am bit skeptical.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let me explain this in simpler words.

The telephone cable that your telecom guy left dangling -- you need to put it in the blue socket.

router

Here's the unboxing video -

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Oh wait, do we need ADSL or ADSL2 here? ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Oh wait, do we need ADSL or ADSL2 here? ๐Ÿ˜จ
    My current modem says ADSL2+Modem . I don't know what do we really need.
  • Big_B
    Big_B
    Hi Abhishek,
    Check this TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2 Modem Router: #-Link-Snipped-#

I'm using this from 6 Months now...Highly satisfied! ๐Ÿ˜€

Pros: ๐Ÿ‘
    • ADSL2 Modem + Wifi router : Two in one package.
    • No disconnection problem or signal drop, used all day.
    • It is a 300 Mbps connectivity WiFi router with dual antennae of 3 dbi each. The range will covers almost full house + any corner combination!
    • This router comes with one USB port which can be used for file sharing, printer sharing, etc. and now it can be even used for 3G datacard connectivity!. pretty cool! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    • 4 Ethernet ports for LAN connection.
    • Easy to set-up.
    • and lot more to explore.

Cons: ๐Ÿ‘Ž
    • None so far... ๐Ÿ˜€

And recently the price is also drop to Rs. 1799, i have purchased in Rs. 2439 six months back... So overall Its worth the buy, Go for It.๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello guys, i want to know that is wankel is acceptable for bikes and if it is what are the parameters on which attention has to be paid in order...
I just tested myself and found that I do know the tables from 1 to 20. Messed up a between 21 - 30. What about you?
Scientists at the university of Darmstadt used a Praseodymium doped crystal of Yttrium Silicate to trap light for a whole minute. This may be a precursor of light memory for...
They do not seem to have much to do with aviation. However, RFID Tags, Carbon Fiber Frames and Battery status Sensors are slated to change the course of aviation in...
The Hubble telescope out in space is unhindered by atmospheric disturbances. The Nursery Rhyme: 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' does not apply in space. Little or big stars do not twinkle....