1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Suggest Guitar for a beginner

Question asked by Anoop Kumar in #Gadgets on May 29, 2020
Anoop Kumar
Anoop Kumar · May 29, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

So, lately I am trying to learn new skills. I thing it's best way to time off from triangle of screen time 

Computer -> Mobile -> Tv screen. Damn book is also screen for me, Kindle.

I know it's would frustrating for beginners, moreover slow learner like me, but hey, I have made my first Java program on notapad. Well I learned string names at least 

EA (as in EA sports) Doing Good Bye E (high) 😁 

So, I made enough case that I actually want to learn. Can anyone help me with 

1. Buying online? Like from Bajaao {dot}  com.

2. Electro-Acoustic guitar. So that, later,  If I want to record I will have that option. 

3. Quality product for longer life and better sound. Budget constraints of 20k. From different online review sources, how is "Vault S360T".

Posted in: #Gadgets
Anoop Kumar
Anoop Kumar · May 29, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

I am not able to edit original post.

Budget: Though I mentioned 15-20k. That way higher. Idle budget is somewhere 10k. But if the guitar is really worth it, I would for higher price category.

[Prototype]
[Prototype] · May 30, 2020
Rank B1 - LEADER

Not an electro acoustic, but Yamaha F310 pretty decent stuff at the price. I own one and it has all you can ask for as a beginner.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · May 30, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

If you are an absolute beginner, my suggestion would be to go with a guitar that is cheap. Because if you don't give up (guitar is frustratingly difficult in the initial days) you'd definitely want to buy a better model. 

My suggestion would be to go with a basic guitar that doesn't have much action (the gap between the strings and the fretboard). This is important because fingers hurt real bad when you're learning to play. 

If possible, buy your first guitar in person by examining the sound and the action. This may not be a possibility during the current lockdown. In that case, the only option is to buy online. 

I've had good and bad experience with Bajao; but you could give them a try. Fender SA105CE Electro-Acoustic guitar seems to be a good choice; if you want to stay on the lower side of budget and get a branded one. Fender Guitars are good - but keep in mind that the sound of guitars is a very personal choice. 

I am a proud owner of Yamaha APX 500-II; and it's an absolutely amazing guitar! Yamaha F310 is popular with beginners and Yamaha guitars do sound awesome. Check out the unplugged reviews on YouTube to get an idea. 

I hope this helps. 

Anoop Kumar
Anoop Kumar · May 30, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Thanks.. @prototype and @kaustubh.

That's really good suggestion having lower gap between string and fretboard. 

I will go to local store and check for models. 

Can you guys suggest some more models. I think fitting in the instrument in hand is subjective, need to try few models to choose from.

How is yamaha fs100c vs 310? 

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · May 30, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

In general, the branded guitars will have lesser action. I could suggest Ibanez TCY10E and Cort SFX-ME would be good options. Check them out on Bajao and look for reviews on YouTube. 

Yamaha 310 has good reviews and nice sound. Go with it if you will mostly be playing the chords. For lead, cutaway guitars are generally preferred. However, it's a personal choice - and doesn't make much difference when you are learning the basics. 

The main difference between these guitars seems to be the body size. 310 is bigger and will offer more bass compared to fs100c. Look for a comparison video on YouTube. 

Anoop Kumar
Anoop Kumar · May 30, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Thank you guys. Yes, I have seen comparison of Yamaha FS100c vs 310. 

I picked up Yamaha FS100c as it felt better in my hand than latter.

AWJ9-p-20200530-201718-2-01.jpg

I really need to work on finger exercises.Wish, I had know it earlier. 

Any  learning channel to follow for beginner?

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · May 31, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

Depends upon the kind of music you wish to play. Most of the YouTube channels focus on strumming and teach how to play songs. That might be a good start; but not recommended. Some familiarity with the basics of music will definitely help. 

Look for channels that teach music theory (bascis); then focus on the finger exercises. Finger exercises are crucial - and determine how fast you'll get to playing leads and chords. 

I learned from my master in person; and that'd be my recommended way. 

Anoop Mathew
Anoop Mathew · Jun 4, 2020
Rank A3 - PRO

Hi Anoop, let me know how the guitar you bought holds up. I'm also in the exact dilemma of getting a Guitar, and had checked cheap model but somehow not able to finalize. Had tried couple of models, but not really sure how to identify which string/material is of quality/ is better. Have a background of playing keyboards and wanted to get into guitars as well.

@Biggie/Prototype:- i have heard from a friend that getting your finger exercised is important. Have even used a finger press for finger exercise which he's used.

Please suggest any other guitar essentials / tricks for begineers which we tend to miss. 

There're even some start ups who have clip on additions to help with chords. 

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Jun 4, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

@Anoop - Yes, finger exercises are crucial. The best way to do them is through playing arpeggios. YouTube should have plenty of tutorials on arpeggios. 

I don't play Guitar as much I used to; but I'm trying to learn fingerpicking these days. I'm not eligible to offer advice; but what I surely know is that consistency is the key. Guitar 'looks' like an instrument easy to play; but it's not. So just enjoy; and don't give up. 

Before you play, a little finger warm-up is necessary. Any simple scale practice would suffice; but make it a habit.

Also, one tip that helped me - try not to look at the fretboard and your fingers when you're practicing chords. All the best! 👍 

Anoop Kumar
Anoop Kumar · Jun 5, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

@Anoop Mathew, It's been a close to week now.  Here is my noob-beginners experience. 

Guitar: Yamaha FS100c  is really great, sounds very pleasing. However, as @Kaustubh said, Yamaha 310 gives as you more base as it is little bigger and no  cutaway. Go to store and check which one fits in your hand out of your selected list.

The finger exercises are really important. I am really struggling with smaller hand and not able to bend fingers for now. Even bending three fingers for first chord is seems impossible to me 😣 . I can't bend fingers with proper pressure and without muting other strings..

06Wt-1591332055263.jpg

In these days, going to classroom is not feasible. there are tons of free lessons and courses available on YouTube. 

I created a playlist about guitar and learning resources on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6pHVBtOpj19LjSPN6VihuNtDreZKBjyI 

I am still focusing on fiddling individual fingers and going forward learning melodies other than Happy Birthday 😁

[Prototype]
[Prototype] · Jun 9, 2020
Rank B1 - LEADER

I'd advise against the finger press. Use the guitar to develop the strength and technique. It'll be much better that way. Introducing a finger press is a redundant step in the guitar journey.

Understand that the first few days are going to be painful and the next few weeks will be frustrating. Key is not to quit and practice consistently for at every day, even if it's for 5 mins. 

I'll totally recommend going through Justin Sandercoe's course @ Justin Guitar

Its by far the most complete, most illustrative and beginner friend course available in my opinion. And the best thing, it's free!

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up