Suggest a system Laptop or Desktop

Hello guys,

I had a laptop and its not there now! so no issues about that!

I want to buy a system now ,

My usage:
1. I use atleast 5-6 hrs perday on weekdays and about 15 hrs on weekends.
2. I will install QTP , Selenium (these are testing tools)
3. I will install all browsers (mozilla , IE , chrome etc etc)
4. I have to install UNIX as well.
5. Most importantly I will not require it when I go somewhere!
6. I will use eclipse as well. (its new so i dont know how much memory it consumes)
7. I will play NFS also ๐Ÿ˜‰

So suggest me what is best in terms of price and usage perspective.

I mean whether go for desktop or laptop?

Ram configuration and all!! I am not very good at naming them!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I personally strongly suggest a desktop if your usage is that long. Also I'd suggest you to opt for a bigger screen.

Minimum RAM required for all your work is 2 GB (I guess its a standard these days) and you need at least 350 GB of HDD. Processor - doesn't make much of a difference to me, because any damn processor gets the work done. However, for gaming, you will need a good graphics card, so go with NVIDIA ๐Ÿ˜ (min 256 MB)

I'd suggest an Inspiron desktop from Dell. I've been totally happy with what I got. 21" screen is beautiful!
    yes,a desktop is better as per your usage
    Gateway SX2840-01 is i think the best i have seen. does not provides a monitor but take a look

price-about rs 25,000
    CPU- 2.93GHz Intel Core i3-530
    Memory -6GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics -64MB (shared) Intel GMA X4500 integrated graphics chip
    Hard drives -1TB, 7,200rpm
    Optical drive -dual-layer DVD burner
    Networking -Gigabit Ethernet
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I tried for the above system at Hyderabad and found that it is not available ๐Ÿ˜”

Anyway Inspiron is also very good choice thanks biggie ๐Ÿ˜€

@2467: Is the system you mentioned available at Delhi? Because I tried in Hyderabad and found that its not available.
    no but it is available on amazon.com and some more in case you use them. otherwise inspiron is good. and also check for HP Pavilion Elite series,they must be available
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    What happened to the the Ultimate Computer config thread? ๐Ÿ˜›

#-Link-Snipped-#

Anyway, why don't you just assemble your own computer? Its more satisfying that way, cheaper and you'll have much more flexibility in terms of upgrades.

I would suggest getting a AMD processor, probably a Athlon II X3 or X4. Also, ATI graphic cards still remain the best in the mainstream segment. Having those two brands would give you the best value for money.

With the money saved on those components, you can splurge all you want on a sweet large LCD monitor or two (I'm guessing with the amount of apps you have, you'll want multiple monitors ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) Maybe you can run a VM on one of the monitors?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Get one of these!! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ ha ha

www.alienware.com
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alienware laptops are costly, I suppose.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    ash
    Anyway, why don't you just assemble your own computer? Its more satisfying that way, cheaper and you'll have much more flexibility in terms of upgrades.
    I would try this idea too!

But I have a question regarding the processors that Is Intel better or AMD?

I heard long back AMD is good for games and entertainment where as Intel for work?

Correct me If I am wrong?

I will update once I buy some thing may be pretty soon!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A GPU will bypass the CPU for all graphics rendering. For all work related computing, any CPU should do the work.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Yep. As far as I know, there's no big difference between AMD and Intel, so anything should do.

And yes, Alienware machines are super costly!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep, for your uses there are no difference between Intel and AMD, except that AMD is cheaper for the same performance. However, if you need a very high performing system that deals with heavy processor load, like workstation type graphic/video editing, then Intel might be a wiser choice (though I personally would still stick to an AMD and just overclock it).

Anyway, if you do intend to build your own system, I can recommend some components and estimated online pricing. Here goes:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440 (INR 5000)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H (INR 4500) updated- 11th March. Forgot the T.
    RAM: 2GB Kingston DDR3 1333 MHz (INR 1950)
    GPU: ATI Radeon 4650 512MB (INR 2500)
    HDD: Western Digital 500 GB (INR 2300)
    DVD/RW: LG 20X (INR 1000)
    Casing + Power supply: Generic ATX and 380W (INR 2000)
    Monitor: Acer/LG 21.5" LCD (these are usually widescreen variants) (INR 6800)
    Misc: Generic keyboard + optical mouse (INR 700)

Total cost: INR 24950 (around $530)

I'm not well versed about PC component availability in India, but I hear DDR3 RAM is still not readily available. If so, getting DDR2 would suffice. Also, I would have recommended the ATI 4670 graphics card like the one I have, but you wont be playing that many games. NFS will still run well on the ATI 4650 ๐Ÿ˜€ For the motherboard, there are cheaper ones available, but you might be limited in your upgrade choices in the future if you decide to upgrade your CPU, etc.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Sorry, just realized the motherboard mentioned is not compatible with DDR3, sorry ๐Ÿ˜›

You can choose the Gigabyte A785GMT-US2H. Remember there is a "T".
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's a great configuration for a little over $530! Thanks Ash ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guys, post your views about your country here.the positives as well as negatives plus sujjestions for improvements.. well i like the people ,the diverse culture and especially the music.its...
today i came across the term frequency divider circuit. the main function is that it will reduce the frequency by a certain value.i know about cropping of the amplitude of...
Official Website: https://unpluggd.org/ You must have heard of these statements (from startups/VCs/media/bloggers etc) * Consumer Internet is just not happening in India (i.e. one cannot build a profitable Internet company...
can you say me the best neural network for iris recognition in biometrics with the fuzzy logic method usage? please reply at the earliest!!!
sir,i am b.tech 3rd year student.give me some topics related to me.please,sir๐Ÿ˜’