Storing CO2 underground - thoughts?

I wrote an article about GE developing high performance sensors to track the temperature and pressure inside the CO2 well. The US government is looking to use the geothermal wells as a natural way of storing the carbon dioxide produced by the burning of fossil fuels (petrol, diesel and others) instead of releasing them to the atmosphere.

Read article: #-Link-Snipped-#

I was just wondering whether storing CO2 underground under high pressure (10k psi) and high temperature (250 degree C) is a good idea. The wells are going to be several kilometers long and can surely store 'lot of' carbon-dioxide. Do you think we've a promising solution for the greenhouse gases?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Not really only if the wells are Insulated very well other wise CO2 poisoning can ruin and destroy the under ground resources

Under water will surely be poisoned cause of this as We can't completely seal the base of the well
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Nice idea.There are also few thermoelectric power plants who instead of releasing ash in air,deposits it in ground.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, ash can be used in cements and other construction activities and even in agriculture to make the soil more airy (that's what I've heard). But CO2 would be different. I'm not sure if there are any other uses of CO2. How about recycling it?
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Recycling CO2 ? That's only possible through plants . Right? . Any idea about chemical treatment to convert CO2 to other useful form. Where are chemical Ceans ???
    😀
  • vamsi kancharla
    vamsi kancharla
    i my storing CO2 is dangerous task it effects undergrond water and other resources so the best idea is planting tress this is only the best idea

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am a final year student of instrumentation branch.
Hi everyone , Greating From Egypt , I am going to make a graduation project in Electrical Control as a production line ( PLC , AC - DC - Stepper...
Hi everyone! I am Golbez from Manila! 😀 I am currently studying B.S. Computer Engineering at Polytechnic University of the Philippines. My interests? I love joining forums sites, meeting friends,...
A UK based sonar researcher has made a hand held ultrra sound device the size of a computer mouse that can link to a computer through a USB to show...
This article on pages 22 - 24 gives an introduction to capacitors used for motor starting and run, which may be of use to designers. https://digital.bnpmedia.com/publication/?i=127720&p=24