Steve Wozniak's Apple-1 Computer Available For $500,000

The Apple-1 computer, hand-crafted by Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak - Apple, Pranks & Engineering has been put for auction by Bonhams. This piece of history is available with a price tag between $300,000 to $500,000; reports ComputerWorld. Bonhams has the experience of selling pristine pieces of computer history and last year it sold one of the Apple-1 machines for bank breaking $905,000 inclusive of all the commissions and taxes. If you don't know where to put your spare half a million, we'd definitely recommend that you should eye this machine.

Back in 1976, Steve Wozniak built the Apple-1 computer and the machine being sold seems to be one from the lot of first 50 machines. It's got 01-0059 mark, which indicates the inventory number assigned by the Byte Shop from Mountain View California. The Byte Shop was the first bulk buyer of Apple computers.

Apple-1-Auction-Bonhams
Image Credit: Bonhams (Grabbed From YouTube Video Embedded Below)​

In those days, Apple-1 was sold for $666.66; which would roughly amount to about $2800 considering the modern value of dollar. The machine currently belongs to Tom Romkey, a computer shop owner from Florida. Romkey had acquired it from a customer who traded it for a brand new NCR PC. Bonhams says that the computer was used just once or twice by the owner who traded it with Romkey. Romkey simply put the machine on the shelf for decades.

Surprisingly, the machine still works. Corey Cohen, an Apple-1 expert from New Jersey was invited by Bonhams to authenticate the computer and ensure that it's fully functional. Cohen confirmed that though very old, the computer is still in 'incredible condition'. Do check out the following video that shows the machine in action, loading BASIC written by Woz and also some graphical wizardry:

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With respect, i want to ask you about my project, which i didn't decide yet, i study in the field of IT, and i want to make a project on...
i need to monitor data on linux machines..can anyone suggest me ..what topics i have to study well on linux
A new medical device developed by engineers and scientists at the University of Arizona (UA) can provide an accurate diagnosis of the infection very quickly. Faster detection of the infection...
i am very fresh here, i am student of electrical engineering 7th semester and i am searching for FYP idea, any one of please can help me. i will be...
"You won't get a girl to marry because you don't have a secured job” - said his mother when Gulshan announced that he is ditching the TCS job offer to...