Steganography

Steganography is the art and science of writing hidden messages in such a way that no one apart from the sender and intended recipient even realizes there is a hidden message. By contrast, cryptography obscures the meaning of a message, but it does not conceal the fact that there is a message. Today, the term steganography includes the concealment of digital information within computer files. For example, the sender might start with an ordinary-looking image file, then adjust the color of every 100th pixel to correspond to a letter in the alphabet -- a change so subtle that no one who isn't actively looking for it is likely to notice it.

Now where do you think that you can apply this?

General usage is for sending military secret information and where else do you think that this can be used in a more innovative way?

Replies

• remshad medappil
    remshad medappil
    Yes
    computer steganography is an emerging subject.
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    Is it that nobody have an idea where steganography can be applied?
  • sookie
    sookie
    @vishnupriya : I am not sure you are living in which world of cryptography but for your kind information - "Steganography has a number of drawbacks as compared to encryption." Steganography is a very old technique of concealing the existence of message but it is very much vulnerable to hacking. So it is not being used these days by good crptographers.

Now coming to the drawbacks of Steganography
    1. It requires a lot of overhead to hide relatively a few bits of information though these days softwares are also being used(the digital images example which you gave cane be done using softwares)
    2. Once the system or tact is discovered , it becomes worthless.

These drawbacks can be overcome using encryption first and then hidden using steganography but I personally feel these days encryption methods available are so good that you don't need to take an extra overhead of hiding your text. So final outcome is no point in going for a thing(at present Steganography) which is not going to give you good output/input ratio at the end right? 😀

Hope it could be of some use to you.
    Thanks !
  • wassup
    wassup
    @sookie is right not many are using it to hide secret military stuff. But people have found other uses of stenography. One most important use is the digital signature on printed documents !

Printers, camera all use hidden messages in the image they printed or photographed.
  • honeytha30
    honeytha30
    Hi... thank god... i was looking for anything related to steganography because am doing my final yr project in steganography... actually i was asked to do my project in application oriented... so i wished to choose where is this steganography applied very effectively and i ve chosen to do in military application.. but i dont know how it is used in military and wat all i should know to continue this.... i ve surfed in net.. but didn't get the proper stuff.. so pl kindly help me... i want to know how it is used in military and how can we write the abstract part for that???bec i am in need of d abstract and i don have any idea about it... if possible, pls give me the block diagram too to be drawn for stegnographic technique in military application... kindly help me as soon as possible... 😔 😔

thank you...
  • honeytha30
    honeytha30
    implementation of steganalysis in FPGA???? is this possible??? kindly reply me soon...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CE’s, This is my first post, I found this great forum while looking for people who liked engineering (amateurs, undergraduates or even graduates…) and have an absolute ignorance of...
Is there any difference in the way firewalls treat ICMP packets for ping and traceroute commands? a ping shows a succesfull response where as traceroute shows a timeout at one...
Hi to all. I got a doubt while I'm executing my program in ALP. it may be silly but though you should think for a while...... Why can't we execute...
HI friends😉, Recently our professor giving introduction to Data Communications had mentioned a computer with multiple displays and keyboards will be needed in some situations. The problem here is I...
Hi friends😎, I want to write a program that controls the cursor movements.I want to do it java. For this fist i want to know how the thing goes in...