State Of The Art Technology Allows Simulation Of Black Hole Formation

Quasars or quasi-stellar radio sources are regarded as the most distant celestial object in the observable universe and yet, they exhibit the most energetic electromagnetic spectra. Arguably, this giant luminous flame is the home to supermassive black holes, which ultimately emit large chunks of energy that are formed due to the creation of an accretion disk around a star. Recently, Kentaro Nagamine of Osaka University's Department of Earth and Space Science and Isaac Shlosman from the University of Kentucky collaboratively simulated the nature of formation of these black holes which were born 700 hundred million years after the great Big Bang.

As predicted by astronomers, the early universe was filled with hot plasma and was in an agitated and compact form. According to Nagamine, as time passed, the universe started to cool down, expand and is still expanding continuously at an ever increasing rate. Due to a non-uniform mass distribution, large gravity pools were created which segregated stars from other objects. Later on, these stars with some modifications generated black holes.

super_massive_blackhole
Simulation of a network of dark matter filaments in a high-density region of the early universe

Contemporary cosmologists believe that super massive black holes were created from the old stars that collapsed. However, recent studies reveal that they could only produce small black holes. The latest study by the team decided to approach the problem in a way, which is now defining supermassive black holes are the outputs of clouds of gas falling into potential wells, created by dark matter, the invisible and mysterious substance that makes 85% of the universe.

Nagamine explained that the computational simulation of supermassive black holes is so complex that even the high-end supercomputers in Osaka University's Cybermedia Centre and at the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan could not simulate every single gas particle. So, the team performed small spatial scale simulation using the “sink particle” concept.

The simulation showed that most of the seeds did not expand much except for the central seed which expanded 2 million Sun-masses in just 2 million years, paving the way for a feasible way of existence for super massive black holes. With time, the gas spun and collapsed around the central seed which formed misaligned accretion discs, famously known for their artistic appearance in the famous Interstellar movie.

Researchers now expect to validate their research using NASA's James Webb Space Telescope which will be used to observe direct gas collapse in distant sources. The telescope is now scheduled to be launched in 2018. The complete research was reported in the Monthly Notice of the Royal Astronomical Society, Oxford Journal.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm looking at various tools, technologies and protocols for a possible implementation of real time chat, a la Slack. Most of the suggestions lead to WebSockets; but since I'm not...
One of the main instigators in a chemical reaction is the catalyst which ultimately pushes a reaction with certain amplifications in its inherent properties. Fertilizers to hydrogen fuel cells, every...
I am about to complete 4 years of experience in the software testing. Recently, i have got promoted as a senior tester but i am underpaid. I am getting around...
I am new to d3.js. I have two collapsible tree. I want do draw a link from leaf node of one tree to leaf node of another tree. Can anyone...
hey can i get crazyengineers stickers