Spiral Spring

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]I am planning to build a bicycle with mechanical regenerative braking. I am thinking of setting a spiral spring to wind during braking and use its tension to assist in climbing hills

Would such a spring give me enough power for this? is it feisible???Are there any other alternatives for this?
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] Any info or tip would be appreciated.[/FONT]

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Fantastic Idea! ๐Ÿ˜€

Just one doubt though, how would one control the breaking action?

-The Big K-
  • ambush_xx
    ambush_xx
    Haven't really thought of that yet, do you have any thought on that??
    The idea really is still in its infancy.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    ambush_xx you are going the right path right now. think about the ways for now, and design a few, mindstorm, dont think if it possible or not, or if its efficient. Just design. Slowly cancel out the weaker ones and start analyzing each one.

Actually, using just breaking to wind up a spring to actually climb a slope is like a windmill connected to a spring which winds up when the windmill is running and then when there is no wind the spring pops in action to turn the windmill to generate electrcity, this goes against energy conservation (0'th law of thermodynamics). I still think I am wrong so someone d the math please. This topic is interesting though! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Newmanite
    Newmanite
    That would be one big spring
  • Newmanite
    Newmanite
    You would need to know the force required to move the bike and sustain momentum on a flat surface and then over different inclinations.
    After calculating this you would then need to determine the size of the spring being used to perform the work.
    How would you apply it? I like the idea of using a centrifugal clutch.I toyed with this when I was 12, in between trying to make a rail gun that would fire darts into concrete and a mini steam engine.
    It will work you just have to be creative,try using a geared bike with a derailer system to take the effort out of it.BTW dont sit inside and design it get out and build your structure and adapt what you have,on a lighter note if you are not having fun with it stop for a while get some mates over and brain storm,dont take it too serious,thats when ideas start to spark
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Newmanite you are a godsend! It was wonderful to hear these words:

on a lighter note if you are not having fun with it stop for a while get some mates over and brain storm,dont take it too serious,thats when ideas start to spark
    Till now I have always been lazy to start new prozx., thinking it will take a lot of time, but your words have left me with a lot to think ๐Ÿ˜€ Thank you.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Newmanite
    trying to make a rail gun
    *gulps* this thing?

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi.... I am thinking about doing project on microcontroller application. But I could not realize which uC is good one for my project.. whether it will be 8051 or 68HC11...
using bluetooth, information can be exchanged b/w 2 mobile devices free of cost....how about developing something similar so that we can talk with friends free of cost within the campus...
How could we miss out on this? ๐Ÿ˜› Many Happy Returns of the day to Ash! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Ash chose to hide his birthday (13th September) ! May your dreams come...
CEans, Just finished reading this wonderful book on the man behind iMac, iPod and the iPhone - Steve Jobs. Posting my brief review of the book by Jeffery S Young...
First off, i think i've found a perfectly good theory 4 improvin tyres... i've got a cool aluminum bike and can make the dirt swing and black carbon marks on...