Speaking Japanese at a Restaurant

Speaking correct Japanese at a Restaurant is of utmost importance.

(Because if do mistakes, we won't have any idea as to what lands in our plate :heheheπŸ˜€

So here are a few sentences we might find useful in a Restaurant :

Are you open? -> Aaite aarimasu ka ?

A table for (1, 2, 3, 4) please.
1 = hitori
2 = futari
3 = sannin
4 = yonin

Can we sit at that table? -> Ano teeburu de ii desu ka.

To call a waiter say ->Sumimasen. (It means excuse me.)

Please bring the menu. -> Menyuu o onegai shimasu.

Please come back in a minute. (for the waiter) -> Chotto matte kudasai.

Do you have this? (pointing to the picture on the menu) -> Kore aarimasu ka.

Do you take credit cards? -> Kureditto kaado wa tsukaemasu ka.

Do you have any vegetarian dishes? -> Niku mo Sakana mo haitte inai ryoori ga arimasu ka
(Here, Niku means meat and Sakana means fish.
This sentence will be very useful in Japan if we are cautious about what we eat.)

Could we please have the check? -> Okanjoo o onegai shimasu.

Thanks for the delicious meal. (said to the waiter or cash register clerk when leaving)
-> Gochisou sama deshita.

If you have any more questions or sentences that you want to translate, please feel free to ask πŸ˜€

​

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    a nice post πŸ˜€
    i seem to have forgotten some stuff πŸ˜” have to be in touch with the language πŸ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Nice! I'm practicing and later on ask some sentences.

I have a small doubt. Previously, you said "Aarigato" means Thanks.
    There is no "Aarigato" in this "Gochisou sama deshita" whichmeant Thanks for the delicious meal.

Sorry if I asked anything wrong!

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Good point Sahithi.

Actually, the word "Gochisou" means feast. "Sama" is a word given for respect.

There is no literal meaning to it. It is an expression used after everyday meals, to thank about the food served.

Like before eating, its customary for Japanese people to say "Itadakimasu" , which also has no literal meaning.

It's like showing a feeling of gratitude towards the food we are receiving. (I am sure there are customs like these all over India too.)
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Thanks for the clarification AKD πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Can somebody please help out with the purpose of gelcoat and/or is there another substitute for it?
hi, i am going to do my final year project as 'door operation of train from wheels'. so i am using a compressor to compress air while train is moving...
what are parameter on which window 7 has better performance than window vista?
The applications for FMS India for the batch of 2011 are available now! Visit this link for complete instructions to apply online. Faculty of Management Studies
Source Email Forward: Indian superstar Rajni's fans in cognizant aren't behind when it comes to celebrating the hero's movie release. Pics of employees celebrating ROBOT -