SpaceMonkey Is DropBox Competitor With 1Tb Local & Cloud Storage

SpaceMonkey is taking Dropbox head on with 1Tb of local and cloud storage. The founders argue that the 'cloud only' approach has its own flaws. They say that with the consumers using the services to store media and files it's become 'too expensive' to store the data in someone else's cloud. One point is right: it's really hard to push larger files to the cloud through slower Internet connection. SpaceMonkey has come up with an innovative solution. They offer the consumers with a device with 2Tb storage. This drive will store most of your data and will also be connected (p2p) with other devices. That means out of 2TB, you can use 1TB for your own use while another 1TB will have to be shared with other people. The device will distribute chunks of data to other devices and also encrypt them for security purpose.

The company will charge less than $20 per month for their service. Do you think the idea is innovative?

Replies

• avii
    avii
    The initiative is good, however I feel it can compete with DropBox. The features of Dropbox are really lot & it is integrated like everywhere. There is one more similar service called Box which also offers lot more space compared to Dropbox, however I really don't remember when I was last used it after signing up 😛

TLDR, I am gonna stick with DropBox.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It's really amazing that there is a Double Decker train in India also. Check out this.... Its awesome 😀 😁 https://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/ns_life/2010-11-23/824086799667.html I think its pretty challenging to make Non- A/C...
I'm sure many of you might have installed the latest Windows 8 developer preview edition on your computers. Why not share your own views about the latest from Microsoft? In...
A home based business is something that anyone of us can start without little or no funding. It is something that attracts a lot of people, but very few know...
Green Energy is not a new term to anyone nowadays. We read about it almost daily in newspapers and TVs. I was wondering that building a startup around it must...
JavaOne and Oracle Develop conference is taking place at Hyderabad this year on 3-4 may 2012(Link: bit.ly/yOyqHw). I wasn’t able to make it last year but hoping to catch tracks...