SOPA: Wikipedia Going Down On Wednesday, January 18

Wikipedia founder has said that the most popular online encyclopedia in the world - Wikipedia will go 'dark' on Wednesday January 18 to protest SOPA. If the official stats are to be believed, Wikipedia receives over 25 million visitors a day from all over the world. A downtime lasting for a day is surely going to 'melt' the telephone lines at Washington; one of the twitter users tweeted. Twitter, however took a different stand saying that they won't shut down global business for an issue. What do you think about the stands taken by Wikipedia and Twitter on the SOPA issue?

Oh, by the way, how many CEans know about SOPA ๐Ÿ˜‰ ?

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Stop Online Piracy Act, I knew it a week before and was totally shocked! What's an internet without a challenge and piracy! ๐Ÿ˜” But in one point of view, the Govt. has taken steps to reduce piracy this way, but how?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    I know SOPA and PIPA. I see it everywhere these days; the television, the newspaper, on G+ and on CE ofcourse ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wikipedia going down for 1 day for an issue and then it will back to business the next day. I wonder will this step bring any fruitful changes? (I don't see that.) Is yes, how?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @dancer_engineer: They're hoping to create more awareness about SOPA that way. If Wikipedia goes down for a day, it's going to send ripple all over the world. 25 million isn't a small number!

@praveen-kumar: They're going to order the ISPs to alter the DNS, Ask Google to stop indexing websites that host pirated content and even prevent such sites from displaying Google advertisements.

By the way SOPA mostly applies to 'foreign' websites - that is, the websites outside USA.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K
    @dancer_engineer: They're hoping to create more awareness about SOPA that way. If Wikipedia goes down for a day, it's going to send ripple all over the world. 25 million isn't a small number!

@praveen-kumar: They're going to order the ISPs to alter the DNS, Ask Google to stop indexing websites that host pirated content and even prevent such sites from displaying Google advertisements.

By the way SOPA mostly applies to 'foreign' websites - that is, the websites outside USA.
    Sweden would be most affected... And I don't think this can be automated. Coz, it anyhow exists... It has to be manually screened down in order to make it... Anyone can start a website by paying as little as 2000 and host a forum or blog with links to illegal content... I don't think this step would work out! ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google seems to be quite picky about the kind of candidates they select for the personal interviews. Only one of my ex-colleagues was actually considered for a technical interview by...
Here is a list of project ideas for projects about Embedded and Microcontroller systems. Students belonging to third year or final year can use these projects as mini-projects as well...
I am Koushik Padmanaban.Currently pursuing my electronics and communication degree at Kumaraguru College of Technology,Coimbatore. I am very much interested in technology and innovation.
You can get US$15,000,000 from Qualcomm if you can show a device that can diagnose non contact 15 diseases across 30 people in three days. https://medtechinsider.com/archives/26496 That was an error....
HW Design Manager (Power Electronics) It is common knowledge that we are running out of fossil energy sources, which also are harmful to the environment. But did you know also...