Soon Made In India Xiaomi Smartphones - Chennal Manufacturing Facility Being Set Up

Back in November 2014, news about Mi India, the maker of Xiaomi smartphones, planning to manufacture their mobile devices right here in India starting making rounds. Well now, keeping up to the promise of India's Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi's slogan 'Come, Make in India', the company Mi is soon going to start manufacturing Xiaomi smartphones in a Chennai based manufacturing facility. Though there's no concrete information about the date or time when the manufacturing shall commence, rumors say that the facility might open up this year itself.

Started only 4 years back, Xiaomi is a startup company that single handedly dethroned Samsung in China. The company specializes in design of hardware and software and after finalizing the components it gives manufacturing contracts to other companies. Now Xiaomi manufactures most of its products from Inventec. It so happened that Inventec Corporation, a Taiwan-based OEM popular for its notebooks, servers and mobile devices, had started looking for setting up a manufacturing plant in Chennai. If Inventec starts a new manufacturing unit here or even refurbishes Nokia's defunct plant at Sriperumbudur near Chennai, they could very well be on their way to produce the hugely popular Xiaomi smartphones for Indians right here.

xiaomi-phones-manufacture-in-india-chennai-manufacturing-facility

Xiaomi has a policy right from the start to produce high quality, feature packed smartphone at cheap prices and launch them aggressively in the competitive market. With more than a million smartphones sold in just over a year in India, this country has been the second biggest market, beaten only by China, for Xiaomi products. The company might give out a contract to Inventec to begin with the assembly of handsets at the Chennai based plant possibly within a time span of two years from now.

We can't help but mention that, back in September 2014, Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi conceptualized the 'Make in India' campaign which is nothing but an international marketing strategy, initiated as a national program designed to transform India into a global manufacturing hub. Right from automobiles to construction and from chemicals to aviation, the Make in India campaign covers all major sectors including electronic systems and IT.

Over the last few months, many multi-national companies have started inspecting and commencing their manufacturing units in India and now with the news of a Xiaomi manufacturing plant being set-up, the gadget industry might turn their eyes towards India more rapidly. What are your thoughts on the news? Share with us in comments below.

Source: Xiaomi planning to get its devices made in India - The Economic Times

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks like the 'Make in India' campaign is working. I wonder if Xiaomi will be able to provide their products even cheaper to Indians; than they are currently (made in China).
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Agree, With Make in India Initiative MNC's are eager to join hands with India. this will surely bring new opportunities in India. Recently Huawei Invested ~ $170 Million to open an R&D Center At Bengaluru which is company's biggest R&D center outside China.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    #MakeInIndia is surely working.
    Even though Xiaomi is targeting to produce them in India, I sincerely doubt that they will sell the phone any cheaper. Xiaomi is already selling value for money devices.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Raspberry Pi continues to be one of the most favoured DIY board around the world. I'd love to see all the interesting projects you are working on in your part...
Dear Sir, I am currently working in MNC as IOS app developer. I have overall 2 year 8 month IT experience. In IOS App dev I have around 2 years...
Even with the medical advances of today, the age-old process of blood tests requires the patient to go to the pathology lab, give the blood sample and wait for about...
For all the Carl Sagan fans out there, this is a must-see video - ​ “Consider again the pale blue dot we’ve been talking about. Imagine that you take a...
Project Abstract / Summary : A new robotic tool could help rescue workers locate victims of disasters and other emergencies before venturing into collapsed buildings or other potentially dangerous places.All...