Solution to Grand Quiz Question #12

The Question is:

AbraKaDabra
The 12th Question of the #-Link-Snipped-# is as follows -

[Worth 10 CE Coins]

Following is the forecast about the order of the positions in which some participants would finish a race.
The chart below also indicates how correct the forecast was.
The Question is : Who won the race? i.e. Who reached the finish line first?

NOTE: You have to tell us the approach you used to get the answer.

Race
Solutions goes like this -

Forecast 1 has 3 of the 1st five position winners.
Forecast 4, too, has 3 of the 1st five position winners.
& Forecast 1 & 4, have exactly 1 participant 'B' in common.
Hence all the 1st five winners are in Forecast 1 & 4 and B is one of them.

Thus, H & J are eliminated.

Suppose, D was one of the 1st five position winners. Then, because H is eliminated & from Forecast 2, each of F, G and E was not one of the 1st five position winners.
Then, from Forecast 5, both A and C were among the 1st five position winners .
But, from Forecast 1, this situation is impossible.. because B was one of the five and D was supposed to be one of the five.
So, D was not among the 1st five position winners.

From Forecast 2 & 5, either A or C was one of the 1st five position winners.
From Forecast 1, E was one of the 1st five position winners.

From Forecast 2, both F & G was not one of the 1st five position winners, because E was one of them and H & D were not.

From Forecast 4, both K & I were one of the 1st five position winners, because E was one of them and F & G were not.

Then, From Forecast 3, C was not one of the 1st five position winners, because both I & E were.

Then, From Forecast 1 & 5, A was one of the 1st five position winners because 6 of 11 entrants have been eliminated.

In summary,

B, E, K, I, A were the 1st five position winners.

From 3 & 5 -> A finished 4th.
From 1 -> B finished 2nd & E finished 5th.
From 4 -> K finished 3rd.

Hence I finished 1st! 😉

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Three students of IIT-Kharagpur have come up with an innovative and cheap water filtration system that may go a long way in making pure water available the people in rural...
Introducing Droid Razr. The ultimate power of Droid. The legendary edge of Razr. Combined to form the thinnest 4G LTE smartphone. Power, strength, and 4G LTE speed. Compressed into a...
The following new features and updating options are available for your Nokia N9 when you upgrade to v20.2011.40-4. NFC tag reading Music controls on lock screen Photo and video shooting...
The 13th Question of the CE Grand Quiz Contest is as follows - [Worth 15 CE Coins] Q. Fill numbers from 0 to 9 in the boxes below. Rules are:...
Hello, I started this thread because I really want to hear from older engineers, especially those who've done product development (mechanical, electromechanical, mechatronics, electrical), and software development. On any given...