SOLAR BATTERY SIZING

Hi guys,
Can any one tell me how the battery sizing is calculated.
Suppose i have to give 20KW backup for 10 min. then how many battery's should be required?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    More data may be needed. If the battery is drained for ten minutes at 20 KW, how long is it idle after that ten minutes?
    It is ideal to have the minimum sized battery that can do the job.
    Look at these:
    Redirecting...
    One more:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

For the data given the back up power will be about 3.2 KWHr. (delivered in ten minutes). As a ball park number the discharge efficiency will be about 33% assuming the battery is draining at 5 C amps (C is the unitless number of amphr capacity. e.g., for 100 amp hr battery C=100). So the battery pack power will be 3.3x3 = approx. 10KWHr for a one hour rate. Assuming 48 V as the design voltage, this translates to a 200 amp hour battery pack at 48 V.
    This is an off the cuff calculation.
  • Deepak Waghmare
    Deepak Waghmare
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR FOR YOUR GUIDANCE....NOW SEEING MORE CLEAR PICTURE.
    A.V.Ramani
    More data may be needed. If the battery is drained for ten minutes at 20 KW, how long is it idle after that ten minutes?
    It is ideal to have the minimum sized battery that can do the job.
    Look at these:
    Redirecting...
    One more:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

For the data given the back up power will be about 3.2 KWHr. (delivered in ten minutes). As a ball park number the discharge efficiency will be about 33% assuming the battery is draining at 5 C amps (C is the unitless number of amphr capacity. e.g., for 100 amp hr battery C=100). So the battery pack power will be 3.3x3 = approx. 10KWHr for a one hour rate. Assuming 48 V as the design voltage, this translates to a 200 amp hour battery pack at 48 V.
    This is an off the cuff calculation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After a year experience in core company (Mechanical) is it a better option to do the masters. If yes then India or Germany? depending upon job opportunities
Hi, I was select selected by Accenture in my final semester and I was sent for training in pune in Oracle apps domain. But i was hoping of getting Java....
I've been an Android developer at a startup for over 2 years now. I have worked on several projects that have given me a deep understanding of Android OS and...
Engineering community is all about sharing of new ideas. This year, the Indian Minister of Railways, Suresh Prabhu, in the Railway Budget 2016-17, announced plans to set up a dedicated,...
This machine Design Article may trigger some ideas: Marketing Your Invention on a Shoestring