software engineer v/s network engineer

I would plz like s/w & n/wng professionals to post their views on aspects like job stress,demand for their skills,compensation,security of job,working hrs etc.Your views will be most valuable to me.πŸ˜•

Replies

• chiru2218
    chiru2218
    s/w v/s n/w engineering as a career option

I would plz like comments from working professionals in the n/wng &/or s/w field on various aspects of their working life like job stress,pay,working hrs,innovative skills required,growth oppurtunities,etc.The valuable comments received will be of great help for deciding my future course.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Mods, Please move this to appropriate section πŸ˜€
  • chiru2218
    chiru2218
    plz suggest where the appropriate place for this thread would be
  • swapnakumar
    swapnakumar
    Chiru stop using sms text please use english in full words follow forum rules.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread moved to careers section.
  • chiru2218
    chiru2218
    As you say Swapnakumar,I guess this sms english has become compulsive habit for me.Thanks for pointing it out.πŸ˜€
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Chiru, here is a basic comparison (thats per my opinion) -
    (I am assuming you are talking about a network admin when you mean network engineer).
    1. A s/w engg (SE) gets to work on a software solution for a specific problem (like a CRM solution for a company, or an e-commerce portal for a client). A n/w engg (NE) gets to work on the network and hardware of an organization
    2. A SE gets to design and architect solutions - the work involves a lot of software designing skills, project management skills.
    A NE gets to manage the n/w infra - the work involves vendor management, a lot of troubleshooting and administration.
    3. A NE job is more reactive in nature because people will remember you only when something does not work. A SE job in that respect gives you enough time and space to think things through (although this may not be completely true if you are in the maintenance dept. of a small firm)
    4. Remuneration-wise, SE has a faster growth rate when compared to NE.
    5. WOrk-stress is there in both. A little bit more in NE since people want immediate solutions when things dont work πŸ˜€

All in all, Chiru you need to know yourself before you make this decision. Whether you like working in chaos (NE) or you want a very structured approach of doing things (SE).

CEans, please do correct me if I am wrong.
  • chiru2218
    chiru2218
    Thank you kidakaka sir.Your post helped a lot.But 2 more things i wanted to know were about the following aspects
    1)Job security in both these fields.
    2)Also it seems that it easy to enter into the field of networking than the software development sector.A MCITP/CCNA certification seems enough to get the start in networking,whereas during these recessionary times a software job seems hard to get.
    By the way i have just given my final semester exams(mumbai university).My agg is just above 55%,have a 1st class in my 7th sem,hope to get the same in the 8th.I mentioned the above particulars so that it may help you sir in replying.Regards,waiting for your precious comments.πŸ˜€
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    1. Job security is more or less equal, I am more biased towards Programming, but thats just me πŸ˜€. In either case, you have to be good to keep your job.
    2. Correct, to enter into a networking job its easier. I agree. But that just ensures that more people can enter this field, which means salary levels will be lower πŸ˜€

Chiru, you mentioned those details, but you never mentioned what is it that you want to do. What makes you happy. What are you good at.

chiru2218
    Thank you kidakaka sir.Your post helped a lot.But 2 more things i wanted to know were about the following aspects
    1)Job security in both these fields.
    2)Also it seems that it easy to enter into the field of networking than the software development sector.A MCITP/CCNA certification seems enough to get the start in networking,whereas during these recessionary times a software job seems hard to get.
    By the way i have just given my final semester exams(mumbai university).My agg is just above 55%,have a 1st class in my 7th sem,hope to get the same in the 8th.I mentioned the above particulars so that it may help you sir in replying.Regards,waiting for your precious comments.πŸ˜€
  • chiru2218
    chiru2218
    Nice to hear from you again sir,plz bear with the long post below
    1.WHAT I WANT TO DO??-THAT"S WHAT I AM TRYIN TO FIGURE OUT.
    What I want to do(hope to do) is continually gain an advantage during the course of my career which will be directly proportional to my experience.As i have been more predisposed to programming I guess it will come "relatively" easy than networking skills.

2.WHAT MAKES ME HAPPY??
    Well what basically makes me feel real good are the cases in which my work can bring smiles on the faces of the people who are going to be 'affected' by my work,I guesss that's not a good enough precise answer,but I don't know what else to say.I guess i can adapt if this is the case anywhere.

3.WHAT AM I GOOD AT??
    I have a hunch that i can be good at designing things,logical applications,perseverence & patient debugging,communication all in domain of programming i guess.Well sir you may be knowing the condition of the syllabus of the M.U. B.E course,i don't mean to blame them solely but there is nothing much i believe i can thank them for other than lending their stamp on my degree.TO SAY IT IN SHORT I WILL SAY THAT I CAN'T SEEM TO MAKE USE OF ANY WORTHWILE SKILLS THAT WERE SUPPOSEDLY TO BE DEVELOPED DURING MY B.E.(don't consider me lazy plz,i was just responsible for many things)SO I HAVE DECIDED TO LEARN THE CURRENT IN DEMAND LANGUAGES LIKE ".NET,PHP & MYSql,AJAX".WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT SIR.CAN I GAIN AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB AFTER IT(3months)??
  • chiru2218
    chiru2218
    Nice to hear from you again sir,plz bear with the long post below
    1.WHAT I WANT TO DO??-THAT"S WHAT I AM TRYIN TO FIGURE OUT.
    What I want to do(hope to do) is continually gain an advantage during the course of my career which will be directly proportional to my experience.As i have been more predisposed to programming I guess it will come "relatively" easy than networking skills.

2.WHAT MAKES ME HAPPY??
    Well what basically makes me feel real good are the cases in which my work can bring smiles on the faces of the people who are going to be 'affected' by my work,I guesss that's not a good enough precise answer,but I don't know what else to say.I guess i can adapt if this is the case anywhere.

3.WHAT AM I GOOD AT??
    I have a hunch that i can be good at designing things,logical applications,perseverence & patient debugging,communication all in domain of programming i guess.Well sir you may be knowing the condition of the syllabus of the M.U. B.E course,i don't mean to blame them solely but there is nothing much i believe i can thank them for other than lending their stamp on my degree.TO SAY IT IN SHORT I WILL SAY THAT I CAN'T SEEM TO MAKE USE OF ANY WORTHWILE SKILLS THAT WERE SUPPOSEDLY TO BE DEVELOPED DURING MY B.E.(don't consider me lazy plz,i was just responsible for many things)SO I HAVE DECIDED TO LEARN THE CURRENT IN DEMAND LANGUAGES LIKE ".NET,PHP & MYSql,AJAX".WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT SIR.CAN I GAIN AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB AFTER IT(3months)??
  • chiru2218
    chiru2218
    One more thing sir:"ISN'T IT A FACT THAT AS ANY NETWORK ALWAYS HAS TO BE MAINTAINED ANY NETWORK ENGINEER WILL NEVER FIND HIMSELVES IN DIRE STRAITS,WHEREAS THE SAME IS NOT THE CASE WITH A S/W ENGINEER ,HIS IS A HIGHLY DEPENDENT JOB ON THE NUMBER OF PROJECTS HIS FIRM HAS".I just wanna clarify this notion,not that i rigidly hold such a view.
  • chiru2218
    chiru2218
    😁CHEERS TO CRAZYENGINEERS😎😎😎:sshhh::sshhh:😎😎😎

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am having dsp paper..I want to know about the applications of dsp. I dont get much content in google. I want to know about , how dsp used in...
Hiiiiiiiii 😁 It is somewhat exciting to introduce myself to you all πŸ˜€ Name: Sahithi Engineering Trade: Computer Science Engineering. Location: INDIA. Occupation: Btech I joined CrazyEngineers because: To learn...
GUys.... wat does it mean by Error 7094 in Comsol Multiphysics????? Please Help~!!! I was using the General Heat Transfer module to test out my material... when i run it,...
Hi All! First off, I am not a practicing engineer, moreso a chemical engineer so please pardon my ignorance. I do hope there are mountain bike riders also in this...
There is a girl behind each boy, and a boy behind each girl. How many children are needed to do this?