So, how much money can a blogger make?

Lot of people are curious to know how much money can a blogger make; or essentially - can you make a living out of running a blog from the comfort of your home? The Internet has led to some amazing ways of doing business online - without investing lot of money or setting up infrastructure. I decided to write this small article to express my views.

The answer to our main question is - several thousand dollars a month. The Internet is full of people who make a few hundred bucks out of their blogs hosted on WordPress or BlogSpot and then there are few 'stars' who make in excess of $100,000+ / month. Looks astonishing, right? But that's true!

So what really determines how much money a blogger can make?

I used to think it's the overall popularity of the blog that decides the revenue. That's definitely true to a great extent; but then it all boils down to how are you monetising your blog! You can make twice as much money with half as much traffic; if you know the rules of the game.

There are proven ways to make money online. Let's take a look at following -

1. Sell your own product:

Selling your own product or service is the number ONE way to make money online. Can you make something that people would want to buy and use? Can you offer a service that helps people make their life easier? You've got everything to be the next millionaire blogger. There are several bloggers who sell their products and make awesome amount of money online. For example, Chandoo who we interviewed via Founders Circuit makes million+ dollars yearly selling his courses and Excel templates [Read: Chandoo - The Man On Mission To Make You Awesome In Excel ]

earn-money-blogging

2. Become an affiliate marketer

If you don't have anything to sell, you can simply sell other people's products and make money via commissions. The affiliate marketing is one of the proven ways to make money online and several bloggers have been using affiliate marketing to make decent income. The way this works is very simple: You promote a link to the product from your blog. This link is special, because it has a special code included that helps the seller identify the source of leads. For example, if you base your blog around reviewing various Wordpress themes, you can be an affiliate marketer for the premium Wordpress theme sellers and earn commission for each sale that you initiate. Read: ShoutMeLoud's Harsh Agrawal On How He Became a Millionaire Blogger Who Works From Home

3. Display Advertising On Your Blog

If your blog has good amount of visitors (at least 10,000 a month), you can approach advertisers to display their product and services on your blog. You can then charge these advertisers on CPM / CPC (cost per thousand 1000 impressions OR cost per click) model. North American advertisers would offer anywhere between $1 to $100 or more for every thousand impressions.

Of course, how much the advertisers are willing to pay would largely depend on what kind of product or service is being advertised. If you are advertising insurance or Mercedes cars, you can expect to charge the advertiser a lot more. It's common sense, right?

There are several other ways to make money and you will have to explore them on the Internet. But the potential to earn is literally unlimited. If you employ the right kind of techniques, you can make a few thousand dollars a month with some effort. It's possible!

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am BE final yr CSE student & scored only 49.33% in 12th. What should I do further to get a good job as due to less score in 12th,...
Indian consumer electronics giant Videocon has launched world's first Windows 10 powered LED TV in India. Microsoft loyalists may quickly note that the television is being launched in two different...
I got OnePlus 2 recently. Sharing my thoughts about so advertised as "Flashship Killer" and future safe device. You can find specification here. This is the OnePlus 2. BUILD and...
I have an interesting game. I arrange Chinese chessmen into international chess board and play normally with its rule. Of course there is some drawback for the pawn. Since there...
Back in 2012, we talked about researchers at University College in London who used a modified Wi-Fi router to detect people through walls. Three years later researchers at MIT's Computer...