small talk

I know it may be premature (never hurts to think ahead), how about the idea of hosting the small talk interviews via online virtual meeting like gotomeeting or the like? This way folks can even more actively participate in the process and engage in thourough Q & A based off other responses or explore a detail better or clarify. I also read online that you can hold budget discussions using an instant messaging program. I don't use them however I know they are small, easy to use programs you can get from Yahoo or msn for free.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Aha, that's a nice thought gohm!

I'd like to have your (and others') thoughts on the following-

1. What can we do to control the quality of questions thrown (or say control the spam) in such real-time sessions?

2. How do we make sure that we get good participation in such discussions?

3. The people we interview are 'top' people who are busy ( ๐Ÿ˜ ). We ask them to reply to our questionnaire in their leisure time. So, what can we do to make get these people online exclusively for us?
  • suyash
    suyash
    The_Big_K
    1. What can we do to control the quality of questions thrown (or say control the spam) in such real-time sessions?

2. How do we make sure that we get good participation in such discussions?

3. The people we interview are 'top' people who are busy ( ๐Ÿ˜ ). We ask them to reply to our questionnaire in their leisure time. So, what can we do to make get these people online exclusively for us?
    you are correct in pointing out that such online real time interviews might throw up a situation wherein an unsuitable question might be popping every now and then (unintentionally or intentionally) and it would only be hurting CE as a whole.

Of course, what can be done is, there will be central connecting node between the "person to be interviewed" and "CEans" who will be asking questions real time. The connecting node (which can be the actual interviewer, should filter out unwanted stuff sent to him, and re-direct it to the person to be interviewed.

However, along with this a ready set of questionnaire must be ready before hand (as its prepared, currently) so that in case of lesser participation, it can be covered up. As far as the "top" people, I don't think it will be hard for the big K to convince them an hour !! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm. Good stuff. In that case, I think its better to follow our current model. However, in future, we can have a mechanism that will allow us to host the small talk in real time.

Btw, CE does the job for me ๐Ÿ˜€ . Everyone here has made this place so wonderful that all big guys say 'Yes' quickly. I have a mail from Mozilla's Chairperson in which she said CE is fun organization! ๐Ÿ˜€ How nice is that!
  • suyash
    suyash
    The_Big_K
    I have a mail from Mozilla's Chairperson in which she said CE is fun organization! ๐Ÿ˜€ How nice is that!
    It's so nice that you should drop in a mail to Interner Explorer guys at microsoft to let in their latest product to be spot lighted on CE too !!
    ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ๐Ÿ˜€

We did have Jessica Arnold on CE's Small Talk who talked about Outlook 2007 when it was just launched in the market.

We'll continue to have amazing people in our Small Talk. All we need is everyone's contribution in making our each Small Talk a big success. Because, to the best of my knowledge, only CE (correct me if I am wrong) gives this opportunity to everyone. ๐Ÿ˜
  • gohm
    gohm
    Well yes, you will never be able to completely limit an unappropriate comment, however that is far outweighed by the potential to expand and explore answers/topics in a real time basis. This is something the current setup does not allow. This will lead to a more insightful & engaging discussion. Ways to help control would be to only allow members to participate, requiring a minimum forum post amount, maybe a $1-2 interview fee (to support CE) etc. Plus of course someone would have the ability to ban/delete a person's access to the chat. Plus a would think a engineering chat would be very low down an a prankster's or spammer's radar. Being private only wanted attendees would be allowed entrance via instant messenger or web meeting. Just my thoughts! In any case in any form, I am glad that this wonderful group allows me the opportunity to take part in small talk!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Lol, gohm, you've got a lot of ideas there! Good one. Looks like you are warming up to the idea of instant messaging eh? ๐Ÿ˜‰

However, from the perspective of the interviewee, Id rather have ample time responding to questions ๐Ÿ˜‰

Don't really want to pressure the guy with impromptu questions, might risk them to misintepret questions, misphrase his answers or spill out unnecessary stuff. Perhaps he can't recall quickly some things (like technical details) and needs to pull out a file, etc etc.

It'll be different than discussing ideas, cause everyone will know in advanced what the topic is, and have their own thoughts ready at hand.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, I was thinking on the same lines, gohm. Probably, we can set a minimum post requirement for members who can participate in chat. That will ensure that we only have serious people in the real time chat.

However, I think we'll have to wait for this. Because the forum is not still as active as it should be ๐Ÿ˜€ .
  • gohm
    gohm
    Ash- Somehow I just KNEW you were going to make an instant messaging comment ๐Ÿ˜. laugh. I see your point from the interviewee side. Most of the people I would guess have been interviewed previously & would be comfortable taking questions from engineers, even if they are crazy ones. For those minority that would be a bit shy, maybe could run a more scripted session then. We would definately need to give a topic before-hand so they could have any info/visual aids handy, I agree. Plus it would be nice to co-ordinate so said materials could be postde/uploaded for all involved to see.

Biggie- I agree, growth is mandated before incorporating an involved process idea like that. It will be a nice step towards a CE TV show... ๐Ÿ˜. I think the minimum post and even a very small user fee would be a easy admission ticket that many members would be willing to do. Some motorcycle forums I'm on have the same and an optional yearly donation via Paypal (help supports the site) allows a member to take part in more advanced features.

As far as an answer to your qusetion #3, that would be free advertising/spreading of their product/ideas via this great professional website exposing them to X number of webpage hits people/customers/clients/peers a month.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    All the points that have been discussed here are alright but what will you do to ensure a good participation from CE members.
    Have we all not seen how many came forward with questions for The CTO of Wikipedia and The Kawasaki Team. Only a handful.
    If there is a live conference with anyone and only 2 or 3 people participate from a society of about 11K and growing. Then this shows the enthusiasm of CE members in bad light.
    We need to do something about this. I have seen many profiles here of people who have joined CE in 2006 or 2007 but their participation in the forum is almost NIL.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yeah Raj, unfortunately that is par for the course for a forum. People like to sign up on a whim or to get access but them tend to loose enterest, short attention spans I guess. I know I am guilty of it a time or two. We can however make the forum exciting, entertaining, educational and friendly to create an atmosphere where people want to visit often and interact on a continued basis. I think this forum is headed in the right direction and I have found myself on here almost daily in the short time I've signed up. A few dedicated members such as Biggie(of course) Ash, Maro, friendster7, yourself etc. keeping the discussions actively going and creating Small Talk, contests will demonstrate to new members or visitors how this is a great site to be involved in, creating new involved members. A landslide starts from a falling pebble. True, a couple of the Small Talk topics had less involvement then hoped, however as membership increases that will improve. Also, It might be those topics were not as important to the group as a whole verses a few members? I know, I know, what could be more important than MotoGP, laugh!๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lecture # 5: Use descriptive titles that gives a clear idea of what your post is all about. (Instead of something like "Help needed") Just a suggestion to the Big...
Hello All.
CEans, Engineers are eternal. Engineers are persistent. Engineers are at the core of entrepreneurship. Leaving safe & secure job to do pioneering work in Outsourced Product Development in India, back...
[FONT="]In todays time has its own value and we all need to save it by some or other means. By considering the time factor I am looking for a secure...
HEY! Good to be in here! Can anyone plz giv da proc for MAC installation!!!!!!!!for intel 945G!!!!!