Slauerhoffbrug "The Flying Bridge"

[​IMG]
Slauerhoffbrug "The Flying Bridge"
The Slauerhoffbrug is a fully automatic bascule bridge (aka tail bridge) in the city of Leeuwarden in the Netherlands. It uses two arms to swing a section of road in and out of place within the road itself. A tail bridge can quickly and efficiently be raised and lowered from one pylon (instead of hinges). The lift bearing, complete with asphalt and road markings, seamlessly disappears into the road when lowered.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Is this already functional? Can someone post more photos of this construction?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    [​IMG]
    Not only does this cantilevered drawbridge known as the Slauerhoffbrug in Leeuwarden, Netherlands look pretty amazing when it’s hoisting a section of the bridge into the air to let boats through, but I have to assume/desperately hope it doubles as a gigantic catapult when traffic is slow. Unfortunately something tells me that pesky ‘public safety’ issue would put a kibosh on those plans though.​
    Source: #-Link-Snipped-#​
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    I found this small video.

And must check out this one! Video ends at 1:50.

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Good one Dancer! 👍
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wonder what kind of hydraulics they use for the project 😀.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I would have loved to work on those projects 😎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Indeed. Does anyone know the details of this project?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Second 7-Star Hotel of The World! The Centaurus Islamabad, Pakistan.​The Centaurus is a building project currently under construction in Islamabad, Pakistan. Designed by architects WS Atkins, it will comprise three...
My name is Ghazanfar. I am doing Software Engineering. My interested areas are AI, Game Development, Robotics and Image Processing. I am passionate about computers and programming. I have good...
​World's Tallest Bridge​ Millau Bridge (officially Millau Viaduct) is a road-bridge spanning the valley of the River Tarn near Millau in southern France. It was designed by the renowned 'modern...
I was reading about Skyscrapers. And someone mentioned the Tower of Babel to be OLDEST skyscraper, misallocation of resources after a boom. According to Wikipedia , the tower's height amounted...
Is there anyone who uses Internet but not Google?? For searching any thing on the web, the first site that comes to our mind is Google. Ever thought to have...