Skype Translator To Be Bundled With Skype Windows Desktop App

Microsoft, which owns Skype, has announced that the Skype Translator feature will be bundled with future version of the Skype desktop app. Users will have to wait till the end of Summer 2015 for the global roll-out to begin. Microsoft's trying to make the translator feature available to larger set of users and just last month, removed the sign-up requirement to download the Skype Translator Preview. Skype says that this single action resulted into about 300% in the translator usage.

Skype Translator was announced in December last year. It lets you translate your speech in real time both as speech and text. Currently the service supports English, Spanish, Mandarin and Italian languages for real time speech translation, but Microsoft will roll out support to more languages in coming months. Microsoft says that the service also supports about #-Link-Snipped-# IM languages.

Skype-Translator-Windows-Desktop

The main aim for Skype's translator service is to remove the language barrier between people trying to communicate with each other across the globe. The service employs machine learning algorithms which learns on the go and makes itself more intelligent. That means, the more the number of people using it, the better it becomes.

Do check out the video that explains how to setup the Skype Translator. Do not forget to share your experience of using it. We look forward to your comments.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Awesome move indeed and miles ahead of any other competitor in putting businesses together across the globe.
    I am sure Google Hangout will integrate Translate soon to do the same.
    They already confirmed to replace Lync (Office chat) with Skype.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Isn't it true though that the translation services available are very in-efficient?
    My experience in using Google Translate for Japanese to English translation has been pretty bad. Since I can translate myself, I can see how wrong it shows. Sometimes, the meaning that appears is completely irrelevant, and sometimes it is misleading too.
    I don't know how algorithms convert the peculiarity of one language to another.

At best, these services can be used to get a broad clue as to what the other person might be saying. Call me old school, but I still dont believe automated translators are fit for the job.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Harshit's mom and dad both ran their own businesses. As a child, Harshit frequently visited his dad at his shop and helped him with the sales. It won't be wrong...
There is always a method in the apparent madness of crazy engineers: https://www.qmed.com/mpmn/medtechpul...blem-solving-engineer?cid=nl.qmed02.20150609#
Quote: This tutorial will show you how to build a jacket with turn signals that will let people know where you're headed when you're on your bike. We'll use conductive...
Lenovo has the most impressive line-up in its Yoga series of laptops. The company has today launched its two new products, namely - Lenovo Yoga 300 and Yoga 500 in...
We have all been in this situation; friends and relatives coop up around your smartphone to watch a funny cat video or an embarrassing photo of somebody. The obvious solution...