Skype Group Video Calling Now Free On Windows, OSX & XBOX

Skype's premium feature - group video calling, is now free for all the Windows, OSX and XBOX users. Skype offered this feature to all its premium subscribers for $8.99/month on various platforms. It appears that Microsoft has understood that competing with rival like Google Hangouts isn't possible without offering the group video calling free of cost to all of its users. Skype made an official announcement just a few hours ago through their #-Link-Snipped-# that Skype group video calling feature is now free for everyone. Skype promised to make this feature available on other platforms in near future.

skype-free-group-video-call

Skype's been one of the most popular video calling application on the Internet since its inception. However, Skype continued to offer one to one video calls for a long time; keeping the group calling facility limited to the paying customers. Google exactly knew the drawback of the service and began offering free of cost video hangouts. We learn that Skype found it quite difficult to keep charging money for the services its rival was offering for free.

Group video calling feature lets you have a real time video conference or chat with about 10 people. Microsoft (the owner of Skype) however recommends that for the best experience the number of participants should be about 5. The free calls however come with a free usage limit of about 100 hours/month and 10 hours/day limit. The individual video calls are limited to about 4 hours per day. If you cross these limits, Skype will turn off the video and convert the call into your regular voice call.

We expect a few changes to Skype's premium offering in coming days. Microsoft sure is changing under its new CEO, Mr. #-Link-Snipped-# How Can Satya Nadella Make Microsoft Cool Again?. If you haven't downloaded Skype yet, download the latest version from official Skype website (available in source). Do let us know your thoughts on the surprise announcement from Skype & Microsoft.

Source: Skype | Stay connected with free video calls worldwide

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    I am happy and excited, you made my day #-Link-Snipped-#
    I am a ardent fan of Skype video calling, I strongly feel that the quality of Skype video calling is way better than the Google Hangout.

Now, as Skype had made the group calling It will prove as great Microsoft to beat Hangout in video calling war.

If someone had already tried this, I was just wondering if we need to install the newer version of Skype or it will work with the current version?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Just awesome .MS step towards building a good fierce competition with google.
    May this free offer continues and MS should extend the limit
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Another good news! - Group screen sharing is also now How to share your screen across devices | Skype.

But from what I've seen, Google Hangouts wins for software interface but skype is better for video quality.
    Plus, Skype won't truly be competitive with Google Voice/Hangouts until voice calls are free.
    What do you guys think?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Friends, please help me, I am working on self project: Bike replacement Automobile. I want to design this vehicle in such a way that it could be 1st choice...
I would like to know which parameter is more dangerous, OC'ing or OV'ing ? I would love to know reason behind the answer.
We can control GPIO pins out of box using Python. But, since I am not that fond of python (tbh I don't know Python), I am looking for C lib...
We run a single box setup with PHP 5.4 and considering whether we should upgrade to PHP 5.5 to utilise the built in Zend Optimiser+. There's no clear comparison available...
Can anybody help me out for finding the natural frequency of fan?