Skype Arrives On Browsers In Beta Form

Skype has announced the availability of the Beta version of its new Skype for Web service that will allow its users to conduct Skype conversations over web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome. This move comes to the relief of Skype users worldwide who previously had to sit through the procedure of downloading and installing the Skype application before they could use the instant messaging and video calling facilities of the Microsoft owned company. In recent years, Skype has faced tremendous competition from Google Hangouts which allows Gmail users to communicate with one another without installing additional software. Skype for Web will definitely offer some competition to Google Hangouts.

Skype for Web 1

Starting from today, a few lucky users (old and new) will get the chance to use the Skype for Web service. The service will be gradually rolled out to Skype users worldwide within a few months. Skype says that you will have to download a “small” plug-in to use this service. It does the not specify the file size nor does it mention whether it will be of different sizes depending on the browser it is being installed on. The company says that in the future when Real-Time Communications (RTC) on the web becomes a reality users will no longer have to install add-ons. Microsoft has already begun working on developing web RTC for its Internet Explorer web browser.

Skype for Web 2

The Skype for Web service works on Windows web browsers such as Internet Explorer 10 and above, Google Chrome and Firefox. Mac users will be able to use the service on Safari 6 and above versions. Currently there are some issues with battery consumptions on Mac and video calls make take longer than normal time to ring. Skype hopes to address and eliminate these issues in the final version.

If you have received an invite on your Skype account and tried out this service, do let us know about your experience in the comment section below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Better late than never! Microsoft's already become the second most valuable company in the world, second to Apple, surpassing Exxon. I just hope they continue to adopt a new approach for all their products and services. Skype going web is a welcome move. Will give it a try some time. 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Perfect move for skype, by 3-4 year late. But still.☕
    Most problematic was for linux users getting latest skype. Now they will use latest skype only👍.
    I am damn sure people will use browser version more than application one (Except video calls). Reason is, skype doesn't have spell check yet and it is one of the major requirement for business user. Also, it will be flexibility of platform independent.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    AW ! BIG WHOOPEE !
  • Yogesh Borkar
    Yogesh Borkar
    Great move from Microsoft. To maintain the second most valuable company tag, MS has to apply similar approach and newer strategies for all their products and services.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Since the day MS acquired Skype, Linux users got stucked with shitty native interface of Skype. This news gives me slight relief.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Wow, that's really a nice move,👍👍
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I got the Skype Web. Interface is fast and looks good. 👍👍
    Having some problem with installing calling feature.
    Some of my group chat is missing.May be I will get after some more pings.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Update : Skype beta is available worldwide on web.
    Source: Skype For Web Beta Goes Worldwide, Chromebooks Get IM Support • TechCrunch

Hack to access SkypeWeb on mobile browser: Browser option -> Request Desktop site

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everyone! I am a graduate engineer in "Electrical & Electronics Engineering".Recently I have got selected for PGDC in "Transmission and Distribution Systems" course at NPTI Nagpur,which is to commence...
Scientists have created a machine capable of becoming useful for a 3D printer plastic household waste. The material from which the 3D printers are served is not cheap, and this...
I have an income tax software named computax ,and it is actually attached with a particular browser Internet explorer ,it can work with google chrome also,but requires some additional stage...
Is there any Moto G 1st Gen users received Android 5.0 update today ? I did contact Motorola customer service & heard that soak test has begun in India for...