SkinTrack From Carnegie Mellon Turns Your Arm Into A Smartwatch Touchpad

It is no doubt smartwatches are seeing a decline in demand. Smartwatches promised us a smartphone free way of accessing all our apps but they could not see the big drawback, the small 2.5inch display which made it cumbersome to use apps. The solution to this problem is soon on its way thanks to Carnegie Mellon University’s Human-Computer Interaction Institute (HCII). The team consisting of PhD students Gierad Laput and Yang Zhang and guided by Chris Harrison, assistant professor in the HCII have developed a gadget that turns your entire lower arm into a touchpad for your smartwatch.

SkinTrack

The hardware and software solution titled SkinTrack consists of a ring and electrodes embedded in the smartwatch’s wrist strap. Once the user wears a special ring that propagates a low-energy, high frequency signal though the entire arm that is picked up by the electrode laden band which has horizontal and vertical electrodes that pick up those signals in x and y axis. The system can determine the finger touch with an accuracy of 99 percent. So what functions can the SkinTrack perform in a smartwatch, well almost everything and more. SkinTrack supports directional swipes, discrete touch, and continuous tracking. You can see the prototype in action in the video below where the team explains how SkinTrack can be used with a smartwatch.

While the technology is completely safe and can even work from underneath the sleeves of your worn clothes, it has some pitfalls. The technology fails when the arm is covered in sweat or when it is used for prolonged periods. The ring which you wear in your finger also needs a continuous electricity source. We hope to see this technology in implementation soon as it would make smartwatches cool again.

Source: SkinTrack Technology Turns Arm Into Smartwatch Touchpad - News - Carnegie Mellon University

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

On May 9, 2016, the Earth will once again witness the rare “Mercury Transit”. A Mercury transit occurs when Mercury comes in between the Earth and the Sun. This would...
When almost half of the country’s states are reeling under the severe pressure of drought, scientists at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre have devised a novel way to make potable water...
With the official release just around the corner, Samsung’s newest fitness band dubbed 'Gear Fit 2' and an all new member to the family the wireless earphones dubbed Gear IconX...
I am a mechanical engineering student. I want to get selected for IT MNC companies. How can I prepare for the technical round? As I have zero knowledge of Programming....
It is amazing to see this excerpt from a TED Talk how even animals are aware of unfair treatment of unequal pay for equal work: (Sent by Tara, my granddaughter)