SkinneePix App on iOS Makes Your Selfies Thinner For <$1

Self portraits or selfie is a digital phenomenon that does not seem to have an expiry date. Like other internet generated trends like flash mobs which managed to go out of trend in a few years, selfies have managed to grow at a consistent pace. Thanks to front camera sensors on smartphones and social photo sharing websites the trend is bigger than ever. Now there are so many apps related to selfies that Apple has a dedicated category for them on the App Store. While every other app comes with a huge list of photo filters that claim to enhance (read mess up) the photos, someone out there has decided to put a healthy twist on selfies.

SkinneePix App 3
SkinneePix App 2 SkinneePix App 1

A start-up named as Google Mapsbased out of Phoenix, Arizona have put up their first app on the Apple App Store titled #-Link-Snipped-#. The idea from this app came from the well known complaint where people say that the camera adds ten pounds to your look. The makers of this app stress that the app is not meant to be “controversial” and it is all about promoting the idea of a healthy body. Once you download the app by paying 0.99 USD you can set it up to take a selfie from the front camera or even take a picture of a friend using the rear camera of your iOS device. The app then detects your facial features asks you to select the appropriate option which takes 0, 5, 10, or 15 pounds off. Adjustments are made to your chin and cheeks to make it look slimmer. The working of the app has been visually illustrated in the video below.

To make sure that people pay attention to their effort of promoting a healthy body image, the cofounder of Pretty Smart Women LLC has taken up the SkinneePix Challenge where she has taken two photos of her, one untouched and the other where she is 15 pounds lighter. She has started a healthy diet and exercise to make sure that she reaches her goal to lose 15 pounds. The app has managed to gain instantaneous popularity but we aren’t sure of its success as it has obtained mixed reviews from end users and media houses.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I hope SkinneePix does not leave a watermark with their company's logo on the picture or a tag line that says edited with @SkinneePix

...because that would be super-awkward! 😁
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Since its a paid app, they won't be doing it. As they mention on the promo page "Its our little secret"
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    I agree with #-Link-Snipped-#, that generally watermarks are left on the free apps; paid apps doesn't do that.

Also, I was just wondering that does skinnex morph (the word seems to be a bit harsh, Should I use Edit) pics clicked by this app only or it takes the external pics as well and then reduce pounds from the pic.. 😁

In that case professional photographers would love this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello I am a mechanical engineer currently working in Automotive industry (R&D). I am getting 3p.a. Which is not at all sufficient these days.. So i want to pursue my...
Demonstrating the power of social media, a number of photos on Facebook have sprung from almost obscurity to being viral. These photos include ones that anyone would predict to go...
Multi-tasking on Ubuntu Phone is very nicely done. May be it's my personal opinion, but multi-tasking using swipes (Ubuntu Touch) is better than multi-tasking using buttons (Android). OS functions should...
Keith Baxter submitted a new project: Kyub 3D MIDI Controller - Music Keyboard with capacitive sensing and accelerometer control The Kyub is a maker friendly, open source MIDI keyboard that...
Instamojo Inc. is a web-based Indian startup founded by Harshad Sharma, Sampad Swain, Aditya Sengupta and Akash Gehani in the year 2012. With offices in Mumbai and Mountain View, California,...