Simple improvement for wireless telephones

A simple improvement to wireless telephones would be to have a design that could be conveniently carried in one's pants pocket.

In the USA, sets of wireless telephones are commonly available. (These are not cell phones.) The set consists of a base station and 3 or 4 hand held wireless phones. When not in use, each phones are usually placed on a stand that contains a battery charger. The base station has a charger and also an answering machine. The base station is connected by wire to the phone line of the house.

A common situation is that a person is expecting a phone call and also wishes to stay outside his house, perhaps to work in the yard. A wireless phone can be taken outside without its charger stand for several hours. For a person doing work, it would be very convenient to carry the phone in his pocket. The phones will fit in the large pockets of work pants, but the movement of the person will cause the buttons on the phone to be pressed. A person's movments may turn the phone on and thus tie up the phone line as a phone does when it is "off the hook".

A simple improvement to current designs would be a phone where the "on" button was slightly recessed so that being in a pocket would be unlikely to press the button. An more certain way to accomplish this would be to replace the "on" button that is pressed with a knob that is turned.

An even greater improvement in the design would be to make the phone smaller and perhaps similar in structure to a cell phone, so it would fold up.

It is interesting to think about whether wireless telephone sets could be made to interface with cellular phones. In the current economics of phones, wireless telephone sets with 3 or 4 phones cost about 1/5 of the price of a single cell phone. I assume this is because wireless phones have less functionality than a cell phone.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    These are also called cordless phones in other markets. There are some mini sized wireless phones that you can fit in your pocket, as well as provide 'hands free" functionality that would work great in the scenario you suggested.

Perhaps a "lock" feature can be implemented? A sliding button at the side.

Yes, they cost less due to limited functionality, as well as the fact the cellular modem is expensive. For the tie in aspect, it would be easier to integrate a DECT system into the cellphone and use it as an additional phone to connect to the base station.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everybody as we are going to have an inter college fest, we need sponsors for that. can anyone help me out it's urgent. Thanks In ADVANCE
Hello every one this is karteek .I want final year project related on "VULNERABILITY DETECTION IN MOBILE COMPUTING ENVIRONMENT".Any one can please help me give an idea any vulnerability detection...
how to calculate shear force and bending moment calculation for hollow pipe tube when it is used as simply supported beam...?
SEMINAR TOPICS in Mechanical Engg Can anyone help me to find some seminar topics?? Send me some subjects or links .............................................
Hello All... Does anybody have noise detection algorithm which is written in matlab. or any link from where i can download.. reply me as soon as possible. kinchit@ymail.com