SILENT SPEAKER

Project Abstract / Summary : Sign language is the initial mode of communication used by the ancient man to express his feelings, views and knowledge to others. Later as time passed by, the civilizations started developing and the sign language was replaced by oral language. Hence the knowledge about the ancient sign language has decreased over the ages and now, it is restricted only to deaf and dumb people. With the perspective of the modern world, they are referred to be the ‘Silent speakers’. With the context – ‘Silent speakers’, we are trying to mention those people, who always use the sign language for communication, which can be understood only by a group of people, who are exposed to the sign language. Hence it is obvious that it cannot be understood by a common person, who is familiar with only the voice communication. Hence there is a communication barrier between the ‘Silent speakers’ and the normal people. To overcome this barrier, our model will be a ‘gateway’ and it will definitely pave a new path for the development of a new technology.

Our project allows the ‘Silent speakers’ to wear a glove (which is connected with the flex-resistors) on their hands and according to the motion of their fingers, the resistance value of the flex-resistor changes. Now, this resistance value is given as the input to the microcontroller, which is mainly concerned with the control of LCD (which is capable of displaying the alpha-numerical values) and the voice IC. Thus, our project is not only beneficial for the ‘Silent speakers’ to communicate their ideas, but also for the normal people for their interaction with the ‘Silent speakers’!

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : We, as engineering students are very keen in solving the problems, which are prevalent in this society. We firmly believe that we (engineers) are the ‘KEY’ in opening the ‘LOCK’, which is the problem prevalent in the society.
Since my childhood, I always wondered (despite my sympathy towards them) about the way how the ‘DUMB’ people used to communicate with each other, while traveling in the bus to my school and was very keen in knowing what they were communicating! And, eventually got an idea with my friend’s support!

Project Category : Electrical / Electronics / Communication
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: EASWARI ENGINEERING COLLEGE
City: CHENNAI
State: TAMILNADU
Participating Team From: Third Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : The burning of trash “the extended process of incineration” is the main one in this process .The process should have to take place in high...
Project Abstract / Summary : MAGLEV-The Future Train What is a Maglev Train?​ A Maglev train is a train that glides through the track, sort of like a monorail, but...
Project Abstract / Summary : The objective of this project is to enable the user to remotely control their home appliances and systems using a cell phone based interface. To...
After launching its first Android 5.0 Lollipop OS-based handset- the Canvas Fire 4, earlier this month, the Indian mobile manufacturer Micromax has now launched an entry-level smartphone- Micromax Bolt Q324....
Project Abstract / Summary : Compact Paper Recycler A compact paper recycler , as the name suggest is a paper recycling machine of comparatively small size. It is basically a...