"Show hidden files and folders" is big problem now!

Hi dear CEans!

I got a trouble with XP when i setting folder options. When I select tools > folder options > view, then I enabled "Show hidden files and folders " , then Apply button and Ok. And then when I open the same window again it shows that "Show hidden files and folders"box is unabled.

(by the way ,format my computer twice and i used nod32 and avast)

What can i do. Anyone faced with the same problem?

[​IMG]

Replies

• mahul
    mahul
    this is definitely due to a virus attack which runs a process that makes the necessary changes back to ur registry once u have changed it. is ur nod32 updated?? maybe someone here on ce might be able to suggest something more. as far as my experience with spyware goes an updated version of nod32 is able to get rid of all of them.
  • ankur8819
    ankur8819
    hey i had the same prob....but after formatting it....i got it removed
  • mayankbhargava
    mayankbhargava
    Hi!!

It seems that a virus has affected masterboot sector of HD. If formatting doesnt serves the purpose, you need to try another anti-virus like AVG or Norton. Dont go for McAfee. Otherwise take back up crucial data and repartition the hard drive changing the size of the drive primary & secondary drives and make sure that you change the File allocation system. If previously u used FAT32 then use NTFS and vice-versa.

I had same problem and re-partitioning did solved the issue.

There is one more way which may tell us what is wrong in the system. XP has Start->Run-> MSCONFIG

goto startup items tab and check each listed entry's function from following link: #-Link-Snipped-#

If there is entry from a spyware or a virus this site may have its listing.

Mayank
  • YUGA
    YUGA
    Hi..,
    This Is Definetly Caused By Viruses,which Is Comming Due To Flash Drives Like Pen Drive.so Please Format Ur System In To Another Type(fat32 2 Ntfs Vice Versa).only Updated Nod32 Can Only Remove This Viruse.and Be Care From Ur Pen Drves.
    Bye....,
  • gulshan2007
    gulshan2007
    Hi..........
    I have faced same problem. after formatting(with repartition) twice the problem exist. N0D 32, AVG, Avast does not detect the virus, But Ashampoo detected the virus but failed to delete it. Is anyone can solve my problem??
  • abhi6784
    abhi6784
    Hi..........
    i'ave also faced the same prob.
    I just format my drive n also changed the partition size n now my lappy is going good.
    try to change the size of the partition. it will definately work...........
  • th3 ied kid
    th3 ied kid
    hi
    thatz a supposedly deadly virus thatz been spreading thru the latest media transfer utility ie. pen-drives...it quite deadly n dangerous for it has some built in key-logger
    it spreading fast in some notable forms:
    ->NewFolder.exe
    ->NewPowerpoint.exe
    ->Hinhem.scr
    ->boo.exe< my pick!>

symptoms:
    ->Disables task manager with ease
    ->Disables regedit.exe ,gpedit.msc,*.msc console editors with winxp
    ->disables almost any command line utility
    ->cmd and command.com disabled
    ->strips Admin user of authority of user rights
    ->diables folder option etc..

For those of you who panic hearing this:Take a deep breathe coz u neddnt format to stay-alive!
    For those not paniking😛anic first and u needn't read this until so...;-)

well it seems to spread with pendrive with files like listed above
    it spreads as soon we dbl left click on these files and if a infected comp has a pen drive inserted then the virus immediatly spreads into the pen drive
    First Pre-caution to use infected pendrives
    ->Do-NOT-Use-Auto-Play feature of explorer.exe
    when a pen drive is inserted press shift to disable the autoplay to pop options to open the pen-Drive!
    When done open explorer
    and then then go to adress bar and write the drive letter with a colon
    eg. G:< for those who know me--u kno y G ???>
    next press return key
    next up the do not press the infected file....cut copy paste all others also be cautios while opening sub-folders coz they cud b infected too!
    Do the adressbar way! viz G:/iam/d/superman/fighting/evil/wmplayer.exe
    when done with every thin directly unplug the pen-drive as the safe-removal doesnt always work!
    Now for those Infected Souls....who wish to do nothing else but format!>
    ->somehow reboot to Safe-Mode
    ->now go to run n type %systemroot%
    ->go to explorer.exe and rename it with some other name
    ->safelty shutdown and reboot in normal mode!
    ->Now an option pops for explorer.exe was not found!
    ->select iexplore.exe in that
    ->u will see the start and taskbar vanish but u see all other basic options like
    taskmanager,cmd or command.com or regedit.exe or msconfig easily open
    ->also use address bar to move across locations and do not click on any
    folder to view it!rather use the address bar to go across locations
    ->Now create a backup of all docs,files or anything u wish to experiment with a normal window...well i learnt a lot abt the virus this way and there are ways to delete the virus by retracing its location...
    ->after deleting all instances of virus....go to safe-mode and rename that explorer.exe as explorer.exe and then reboot back to normal mode as u wish to do!

well guys i followed this method..dangerous and treacherous but worthwhile to learn abt virus though when not much of anti-virus soln was there...in august 'o7!
    But now almost all anti-virus like the updated Norton or Bit-defender or KasperSki or even K7 Total Solutions or even Pervix 2.0 or Nod 32 guys
    Please update to latest virus defenition list ;
    My pick-KasperSki Or Bit-Defender! Always!
    Update !
    But guys when formating ........go ahead wait for wat?
    PS:Hey i suspected one piece of this virus getting into system vol info in2 hard disk matters but format does the job!

bye!
  • parihar888
    parihar888
    Hi Komut ,

This is a 101% virus attack if urs HDD has partition like C: ,D:
    virus is residing btn these partition when u r fomatting it escapes
    there4 make new partitions on urs HDD urs problem will be solved
  • mahul
    mahul
    yeah if formatting doesn't solve the problem, this means u are leaving behind some exe files that are infected too(unless u format the entire hard drive). this means whenever u try to use the files the virus returns. the solution is to clean ur hdd of all exe files. anyone there r lots of sites that can tell u viruses running on ur system if u just list the processes on ur system. u can just detect the virus manually and try to clean it. its really possible to clean any virus manually. find out the offending process and keep us posted. someone on ce can definitely tell how to clean that particular instance of the virus
  • radha_saga
    radha_saga
    I had the same problem please send any solution
  • appoolloo1
    appoolloo1
    Go to registry editor by running regedit in the run box.
    Go to this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
    Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

In the right hand area, double click hidden and change the value to 1.
    Now you’re all set to go. Check it in your tools menu if the changes have taken effect.
  • safwan
    safwan
    Look i got same problem befor coupple of years but it was due to i mistakenly downloaded some spyware antivirus but after formating it it was fine . 😛
  • HEART-HACKER
    HEART-HACKER
    appoolloo1
    go to registry editor by running regedit in the run box.
    Go to this key:
    Hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\
    windows\currentversion\explorer\advanced

in the right hand area, double click hidden and change the value to 1.
    Now you’re all set to go. Check it in your tools menu if the changes have taken effect.
    perfect solution ;-)
  • nytlyf101
    nytlyf101
    I got my friend manipulate my master PC and injected an infected flash drive with full of shit!!!

Here are the steps it may be helpful for you to enable the showing of hidden folders!! before doing this steps you must scan and delete all forms of virus with updated version of ANTI-vir.
    1. Click Start > Run > Regedit
    2. Registry Windows will open.
    3. Navigate to the registry folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\​
    Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL​

1. You will find a key called CheckedValue. Double Click CheckedValue key and modify it to 1. This is to show all the hidden files. Now you should be able to view all the hidden files, and also to alter its status from folder options.​
    NOTE: Please back up your registry before editing anything in it.
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    This type of problem caused by virus. Mostly we formatted our windows partition, now from this partition virus are removed but still they are in other partition. So after re- installing windows never open any other drive, until you scan your complete pc by a fully updated anti-virus. So its better to install a anti virus just after installing windows, and update it fully. you don't need to install drivers at that time. After full scan of computer you can install.

Most of time people after reinstalling windows, open other drive in which virus still exits and they again corrupt windows. So beware about this thing. I hope kaspersky is best anti-virus. I am using it from last 3 years.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    see this thread..use the autorun eater to fix ..and i have also given the link to download

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everyone, I'm new. I got a engineering equation to solve & need some help. i am doing a project that uses joule heating of a wire & i wanted...
hey friends, my pen drive(moser baer 1gb is showing a write protect error while transferring files having size greater than 237 MB. can any one of you suggest me how...
CEans, Its high time that we add/remove/modify our existing sections. In my opinion, We preserve our existing Trade Specific Sections (i.e Computer Science, Electronics, Civil ...) Merge CE IT Help...
Dear all, I am an analyst and track power conversion industry. Mayank
Hello guys i have a project(20%) in my mechatronics system design subject, i have to build a golf-ball collecting robot through a hole goals...there will be a competition among my...