Should we maintain notification history on CrazyEngineers?

We need to determine if we really need to keep the old notifications for each of our member. At present, we maintain all the notifications for all users. But maybe we could clean up old notifications that have been read by the users. 

What do you think would be a good time-frame to delete old, read notifications? Say 3 months? That means, we'll delete all the 'read' notifications that are 3 months old. What say?

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ , #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ 

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

Instead of deleting 3 month old I would say delete the 3month old read by users.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - That's what I meant. Any notification that has been read by the user will be deleted after 3 months. All 'unread' notifications will be maintained forever (or maybe for 6 months?)

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

In that case yes I think 6 months good enough !

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Yes , I think that works. 3 months and 6 months! If needed can we get back to the user on request at a later point of time. I mean if someone requests all his notifications also we should be able to provide them back.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

All that a notification tells is that there is some interaction on an item concerning all members participating in that activity. As soon as a member looks up that notification its purpose is served. In my opinion it can be dumped right then.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Yeah, I think we could go with policy that -

1. Deletes all the 'read' notifications after 3 months.

2. Deletes 'unread' notification after it's 6 month old. 

• Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande

I guess 3 months is enough time for people who are really active on the site. For others, why will they bother?

• Amit Jha
    Amit Jha

Yup, it is best to get rid of them.  After half a year, the old (read/unread) notification has no purpose at all. 

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar

"Read" Notification should be removed after a certain time. However, a user should able to trace the activities of posts. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - I think you are referring to the posts any user has created or replies they've posted, right? 

Though there's no direct link, you could visit the following URL to see all the posts that you've created: 

#-Link-Snipped-#

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar

Yes, the history of activities of posting and creating threads.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi sir I am vimal sathyaa 23 years old i completed B.E mechanical engineering in 2016 but i secured 61% only but job opportunities asked 65% .what can i do...
Can we pre-populate the contact us section with the user name/ name and email address of the person who is going to that section?Since we any way save all the...
How do make my own profile on Wikipedia?
Duration 3-4 weekslocation Mysuru/MysorePlease suggest me if anyThanks in advanceIts ok if in Bangalore
Are there any management seats available at for CDAC courses?