Should we allow SMS text in posts on CrazyEngineers?

CEans,

Ever since CE started, we've been following the No-SMS-Text policy on our forums. Despite all efforts, we continue to get posts full of abbrivations (and I believe they are unreadable most of the times).

I've been told many times that the no sms text policy is ridiculous and we should give liberty to all CEans to use sms text, if they want.

What is your take on this? Do you think no-sms policy is good? If Yes, Why? if Not, Why? ๐Ÿ˜€

I bet this will be an interesting debate [โ€‹IMG]

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    No-sms text policy is good. Its simple really. Crazy Engineers is not a social networking site. Its a public forum that unites engineers around to the world to share ideas and assist each other in solving issues. This involves making sure the way we communicate is clear and understandable.

Using sms laden messages on this forum is just bad habit, not a really necessity. The reason why it was used in the first place is so people can fit their messages in the mobile within the limited spaces, as well as reply fast. It is also used in online chatting because its pretty much real time.. which require you to reply fast.

But on CE, you can take all the time you need. The computer is not going to explode if you don't post your message in time. Please consider the fact that not only students are viewing the forum, professional engineers around the world are viewing it too. If you want people to understand what you are trying to say, then make sure you use plain english. Remember that in engineering, it is very important to communicate clearly.

I know it may be hard to change habits, but as long as you have the intention to do it, it'll be alright. Obviously complaining about the policy shows you only care about your own convenience at the expense of others. Big K and the rest of the CE team has been trying very hard to maintain the good image CE has. Just look at the amazing interviews that have been conducted, as well as future ones that will appear soon.

I am a still a student, I still use all the slangs and sms codes in my mobile messaging and MSN with my friends. In CE, you are an engineer. In whatever they do, each engineer is a representative of the whole engineering community. So please make the effort! Even I type in the occasional "lol" here and there, but at least I try my best to type the whole message clearly. You dont need to be verbose or shakespearean in your language. Just clear and simple.

If I was in a more foul mood today, you'll see quite a number of bleeps here and there, in response to the lack of common sense in people. Please don't push it ๐Ÿ˜€

Have a good day, CEans ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    I prefer it like with no sms, keep it clean professional looking ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • gohm
    gohm
    Good write up Ash. I agree, no sms is needed. It's not like we are charged internet based on characters typed. Otherwise I'd be in debt, laugh. If you were to allow sms or slang or the like then you would have to also create a continually updated dictionary of these terms in a FAQ (frequently asked questions) section which would use up time and space that could be better allocated in my opinion to other things. Although I notice in my post I've technically used two- sms & FAQ.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ash & Gohm - when we say don't use sms, we're against such posts -

"hi...m ..frm antrtica.....jus ..wana say haiiiiiiii"

Of course, one can use lol, btw, and even some slang / sms text - as long as it doesn't hurt the eyes and brain. You got my point, I hope you did. We don't even expect our members to use high quality, correct English. Just a simple protocol that says type the words and don't use sms equivalents.

We aren't evil, you know!
  • suyash
    suyash
    The_Big_K
    Ash & Gohm - when we say don't use sms, we're against such posts -

"hi...m ..frm antrtica.....jus ..wana say haiiiiiiii"

Of course, one can use lol, btw, and even some slang / sms text - as long as it doesn't hurt the eyes and brain. You got my point, I hope you did. We don't even expect our members to use high quality, correct English. Just a simple protocol that says type the words and don't use sms equivalents.

We aren't evil, you know!
    Dont be evil ๐Ÿ˜•

Of course, even I'm of the opinion that some of the slang/sms text you have mentioned should be allowed as long as it doesn't become an eyesore. Though everyone loves to read clear english, it seems that most of the people don't want to write the same way !๐Ÿ˜Ž

however, a clear line must be drawn as to what is and what isn't allowed !

"bcoz in today's world, people are really in a hurrrrrry" ๐Ÿ˜Ž hehe !
  • ankur8819
    ankur8819
    I feel writng in sms text should be avoided as much as possible..though i am not used to it but i try my best to follow No SmS tExT policy of the forum..sometimes it becomes too much of a bother..but thats how it goes!
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    I say no sms because of this simple fact: Some people here on CE do not use English as a first language. Although they do speak it, (Yes I know, this is an English only forum) many people don't know how to read sms. And English is my first language, and I don't even understand some of the abbreviations. (this is also coming from a grammar freak). I try to use correct punctuation, spelling, and usage as much as possible, only because I'm just weird like that. I may misspell a word from time to time, but 90% of it is typos. (Yes, I know I'm getting off topic now.)
    Anyway, To conclude my opinion, I think we still should continue with the no sms policy.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good to hear that most of us agree that we should not allow sms on CE. We don't expect our members to be English experts simply because English is not the first language for everyone. We only expect that the posts should be readable.
  • sonasathish
    sonasathish
    i do prefer SMS text bcoz its really hard to type all the words in their lengthy form!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sonasathish
    i do prefer SMS text bcoz its really hard to type all the words in their lengthy form!
    Please search the forums for Big K's guide to rapid typing ๐Ÿ˜‰ . SMS text won't be useful in your professional life, so get used to not using it.

[At least on CE Forums ๐Ÿ˜€ ]
  • anjaneai
    anjaneai
    okhey let me tell you a human tendency.As we all are advancing technically(imean few guys doing all good discoveries and inventions for major population)..
    we the other major population in the meantime is getting lazier.we dont want to do a single job that doesnt yeild a benefit. so what we want is to just sit around and get tired relaxing..

so this so called"sms text language" is a birth of this human phycology.

so the point is why get lazy by doing shorthand afterall you dont have to do the effort of lifting a pen and creating strokes.so guys its just few kep presses dont be a Sloth by allowing it!

wt u tink dude! ๐Ÿ˜
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    SMS lingo was started since early mobile phone didnt supported more 100 words or so(tats an approximation),even paging has such limitations,then we gave birth to SMS lingo,and it became a habit,it must be avoided as it spoils are our command over written english....SMS lingo shud be avoided
  • Differential
    Differential
    IMHO, Use of SMS text should be discouraged, reason being a ) it may not be understood by everyone worldwide b) it doesnot give a profesional touch.

--Differential
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Differential
    IMHO, Use of SMS text should be discouraged, reason being a ) it may not be understood by everyone worldwide b) it doesnot give a profesional touch.

--Differential
    Right said. CE is read by engineers from over 150 countries. Our members are students, professors, experienced professionals, entrepreneurs, CEOs etc. Not everyone appreciates SMS text.

I believe SMS should be restricted to cell phones. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    No No No No No No No No No No Nooooooooooooooooo
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    raj87verma88
    No No No No No No No No No No Nooooooooooooooooo
    Point well taken. ๐Ÿ˜’
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    but using sms lingo has some adv too,i agree with u guys,but dont ya think it is time saving and handy too
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    sauravgoswami
    but using sms lingo has some adv too,i agree with u guys,but dont ya think it is time saving and handy too
    It may be but it is not good. Human being is always looking for shortcuts. This is harmful in the long run.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sauravgoswami
    Well, if you can learn to type faster (like I do), you don't have to waste time figuring out shortcuts for each English word. For example, I find it very easy to type "great" than "gr8".
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    yes it might be,but when it comes to writing or typing in phone,it saves time,and readers find it understandable,apart from this we can also invent our own language to disscuss something private
  • gauravtiwari89
    gauravtiwari89
    I personally have trouble Understanding the sms lingo. ๐Ÿ˜”
    So Please let the policy remain.. Helps people like me, besides writing normally gives you a good practice of your punctuation skills.๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›
  • Itanium
    Itanium
    it spoils the core beauty of the language, dont won't to be part of it.
    :sshhh:
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [Reigniting the old debate ๐Ÿ˜€ ]

Despite all our efforts, we continue to get SMS text filled posts and they drive away lot of professional engineers who visit the site. I was personally contacted by a highly qualified, professional electronics engineer saying she did not like the posts that were made with sms text.

Sad!

Again, do we have new points in this debate?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

big_k, i have read quite a lot of interviews that you have conducted with bjarne stroustrup, yashwant kanetkar and many more. I have seen that its not just you who...
Hey CEans! I'm maintaining an old compaq laptop of mine by trying to use lean applications on the computer. I've recently upgraded its hard disk (from 20gb to 120gb), but...
Title: Networking Interest: I m planning 2 make an application which will automatically switch on-off the switch if there is no traffic on switch.......This is an idea which i have...pls...
i know this thread is been discussed before..but i would like 2 add that instead of bluetooth if we use wi-fi...cos now-a-days many mobiles hav wi-fi...and an application even on...
Dilbert lovers - Check out Dilbet TV series available on YouTube. All you have to do is Search for "Dilbert 1x01" , the "Dilber 1x02" etc. Then continue with "Dilbert...