Should some slang words be added to the Dictionary?

Like it or not, everyone is using slang. It's becoming a rare sight reading the word 'you'.
All I see is an "u" these days.

Some people when asked why they use it, answer that it saves times and since the word is shortened, it reduces space.

What do you think about this? If everyone is getting used to it, should we make it sort of 'legal'?

Shoot your opinions.

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    @akd i heard somewhere as u is used instead of you in US standard of english
    up to my knowledge there are two types of languages in english
    1.british english
    2.amarican english
    so i think "u" also legal and i heard many differences in those two languages
    hope i am correct if not correct me
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @NM: I am afraid, I haven't heard of any such case.
    They use "you" in both, British as well as American English.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    If we want to make them 'legal' then I guess some standard or rules have to be established for the slang words as we have for our regular english. But then they will be the alternatives (or we can term them as synonyms) not the slang words.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    @akd:i am not sure about it just i had heard it from my friends thats happened
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    AbraKaDabra;
    @NM: I am afraid, I haven't heard of any such case.
    They use "you" in both, British as well as American English.
    Yes, there is a difference in both the standards but 'u' is not accepted in both of them. 'U' just evolved as a shortform because of messaging.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Slang or colloquial language is accepted are absorbed into the official vernacular all the time, this is how language grows.
  • Reya
    Reya
    Year after year,words and expressions creep into the English language in the form of slang.If this slang word finds its own way to express something easily, then there is nothing to include them to the English Dictionary😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Just 3 months after we started this debate, I have had a revealation today!

The words that are mostly used in slang like: OMG and LOL, FYI are now added to the Oxford English Dictionary!

For the March 2011 release of OED Online, we have selected for publication a number of noteworthy initialisms—abbreviations consisting of the initial letters of a name or expression. Some of these—such as OMG, int. (and n.) and adj. : Oxford English Dictionary [OMG int. (and n.) and adj.]: ‘Oh my God’ (or sometimes ‘gosh’, ‘goodness’, etc.) and LOL, int. and n.2 : Oxford English Dictionary [LOL int. and n./2]: ‘laughing out loud’—are strongly associated with the language of electronic communications (email, texting, social networks, blogs, and so on). They join other entries of this sort: IMHO (‘in my humble opinion’) [IMHO at I n./1], TMI (‘too much information’) [TMI at T n.], and BFF (‘best friends forever’) [BFF at B n.], among others.
    Of course in such a context initialisms are quicker to type than the full forms, and (in the case of text messages, or Twitter, for example) they help to say more in media where there is a limit to a number of characters one may use in a single message. OMG and LOL are found outside of electronic contexts, however; in print, and even in spoken use (see, for example, the 2003 quotation for LOL int.), where there often seems to be a bit more than simple abbreviation going on. The intention is usually to signal an informal, gossipy mode of expression, and perhaps parody the level of unreflective enthusiasm or overstatement that can sometimes appear in online discourse, while at the same time marking oneself as an ‘insider’ au fait with the forms of expression associated with the latest technology.
    As such usage indicates, many people would consider these recent coinages, from the last 10 or 20 years, and associate them with a younger generation conversant with all forms of digital communications. As is often the case, OED’s research has revealed some unexpected historical perspectives: our first quotation for OMG is from a personal letter from 1917; the letters LOL had a previous life, starting in 1960, denoting an elderly woman (or ‘little old lady’; see LOL n./1); and the entry for #-Link-Snipped-# [FYI phr., adj., and n.], for example, shows it originated in the language of memoranda in 1941.

From their official website: #-Link-Snipped-#

What do you have to say now?
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Great finding AKD.👍 Great list found there. 😁
    Finally these abrevations have got there place in the Oxford Dictionary. But there are many more abrevations that are very common and are frequently used. Are they also going to be added in days to come.?
  • andyKane
    andyKane
    English is a language that doesn't have a proper grammar. It keeps on changing with time. No wonder we will see all these words in the dictionary very soon.
  • MAULIK_GANDHI
    MAULIK_GANDHI
    they should not be added to english (US) or English (british)
    but one other language should be set for that type of words English(short or something)

if its added to main english then original language will get screwed new generation will learn that language only and there will be lot of confusion.. such launguage must not be used in official use or education... so better to keep it away from Main language.

Adding "lol" omg is good coz u never(mostly) going to use it in office or education or any other perpose where language used should be clean and understandable by all.

but 'you' must not be replaced by 'u', 'because' not to 'coz', 'the' to 'd' and 'and' not to 'nd'
  • aicbal
    aicbal
    i am sorry to confess that i do not know the meaning of LOL and OMG.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    Like it or not, everyone is using slang.
    Iam oldfashioned (what else can I be?) and prefer to be conventional. However, as engineers we do use a lot of jargon.
    I greatly regard Edward DeBono.
    These two books of his address this issue:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Bioramani
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    For people who dont know the meaning of LOL .OMG/LMAO or whatever, i think inclusion in dictionary is Ok, dictionary is menat for such usage right? to know the meaning. the other day I read the news about these inclusions in Oxford and there was a mention that LOL isnot new, its infact a 18 century slang. Many different countries have their local slang and words which comes into usage more than others like- guru, karma etc ( from INDIAN base) do at some point of time get included.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Visit https://www.geni.org for more information. A sustainable global energy strategy, first proposed by Buckminster Fuller in 1969, to interconnect the abundant renewable energy resources between nations around the world. Benefits...
Anshika Packers Movers is world's top #4 site, according to Alexa 😒 . If you look at the list of top 100 global sites in Alexa, it lists AnshikaPackersMovers (with...
Staying 19 kilometers away from the college is a pain and studying in a college which demands 75%+ attendance serves as makes it worse. I am presently in my 3rd...
Sony Bravia BX300 is one of the popular LCD TVs in India. The 32″ LCD packs interesting features and technology and claims to redefine your TV viewing. In addition, the...
While Mobile Number Portability is getting attention from the media, there are talks going on about ‘Vehicle Number Portability‘. MNP is a technology that allows subscribers to change their network...