Should piracy be stopped?

Have you ever wonder how much we use information in our daily works (presentation, project reports) without the permission of owner. Eg: An image copied from Wikipedia & Google. We download music , games & other stuffs from sites illegally. Lets us imagine a day that you can not access Wikipedia, Google , Facebook for one day. You can not download music , games from file hosting sites or torrents, than what will you do on the Internet??

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Piracy should be stopped. Would you like someone using your creation for making profits without your permissions?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Another interesting thing is, when a software gets pirated, it becomes popular... Like the way the ReverbNation worked... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Piracy should be stopped.

I've a small doubt. We read textbooks and we answer the questions in our exams with that book knowledge. Is it a piracy?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Should piracy be stopped on the internet?

Stopping piracy totally depends on the 'owner' of the content. Suppose a person has uploaded something on the internet and has made the content easily available and accessible to others, he / she is probably aware of two things:
    1) people are going to make good use of it by referring to it or gaining knowledge from it.
    2) people are going to make bad use of it by making (illegal) money from the content.

So it's upto the owner, whether he / she wants to make the content easily available to others or would charge them for the content.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Sada
    I've a small doubt. We read textbooks and we answer the questions in our exams with that book knowledge. Is it a piracy?
    I don't think is it a piracy, because we pay for the textbooks.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Dancer_Engineer
    I don't think is it a piracy, because we pay for the textbooks.
    Even we are paying the Internet monthly ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Software companies (at least) don't want to stop piracy for indivisual users. they promote it.
    think, can't Microsoft track how many pirated version of windows running all ever the world just by installing a silence piece of code in every computer which is on internet.
    Once I went for interview in Adobe and I asked "I have every software of yours installed on my system . why can't you able to stop piracy. "
    Believe me, In discussion they agreed in, indirect way that its software companies who are promoting this. thier main business comes from organisations whome they cost license for each year .

Come to movies , I believe most us, by now, a fan of some perticular hollywood star. why?? did you watched all of his/her movies in theater casting INR.200 each. No way.
    but now on when a blockbuster movie come you will go n see.
    thats how their business works.

Go to paulo colho blog: he started his own website to pirate his own book
    #-Link-Snipped-#.

I agree that people on small scale get suffers but this is also true that by this way others knows about them.

comments always welcome.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    @Sada,
    I'm not sure about this, but I think the author earns money through the publisher on a per book sold basis. ๐Ÿ˜€

How are we paying the content owner through the internet?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Dancer_Engineer
    @Sada,
    I'm not sure about this, but I think the author earns money through the publisher on a per book sold basis. ๐Ÿ˜€
    ๐Ÿ˜€

How are we paying the content owner through the internet?
    Can we say How are we paying the book author though the shop? โ˜•
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Sada
    Even we are paying the Internet monthly ๐Ÿ˜€
    ๐Ÿ˜
  • Arnav Joshi
    Arnav Joshi
    Sada
    Piracy means making use of content without the creator's prior knowledge/permission.
    If you download open source software it is not piracy as the creator has given permit for using it free of cost. Similarly when a writer publishes a book he/she has an idea that the book may be used as curriculum in schools , and in such cases the author knows that his/her content will be used in answer papers. And by writing answers in exam paper, sales of the book are not affected. But if you download a movie by piracy, the creator of the content is losing out on potential sales. (That many people won't buy a dvd of the same movie which they would watch for free is another issue).

And it should be noted that 'knowledge' (except under very special cases such as military research) is never copyrighted, or else scientific discourse would be impossible. One however needs to acknowledge one's sources. If you take a look at a scientific paper in the end the various sources are cited.
    If entire research is copied as it is and is passed off as one's own then it is plagiarism.

I would like to point out one more thing. If you buy a movie DVD and lend it to your friend to watch it is not piracy. The thing is you are given ownership of one copy of some data and you should make sure it is not at two places at one time, i.e you can't make further copies. You may even open a library . (Though you won't usually be allowed to do public screenings of it).
    Also 'content' is not the same as 'data'. The same content such as a movie is available in different data formats.

Sada
    Can we say How are we paying the book author though the shop? โ˜•
    The publishers pay royalty to the author depending on their contract. It could be such that author gets a certain percentage out of each book sold. Or it could be a one time payment.

P.S :-

It would be useful if all of us take a look at the wikipedia article on this issue - Copyright Infringement . It will help to know the niceties of the issue. Because of this thread I myself am looking at it only just now.๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Absolutely agreed. It's all with the author's wish. But we have only a few copy-righted sites. Most of the sites are open source offerings.

Piracy should be always stopped. As we've seen recently the result of using copyrighted material with the Megaupload company.

Anyways, Good points, Arnav Joshi!
  • er.h3m4l
    er.h3m4l
    Instead of stopping PIRACY why dont the govt. make such an adjustment in Inetrnet plan rates that its a win-win situation for user as well as company...!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name: Raj *Engineering Trade: MS(SOFTWARE ENGINEERING) Location: VELLORE(TAMIL NADU) *Occupation: (Student|Working|Self-Employed|Unemployed; details please!) STUDENT...DNG MY FINAL YR Work Experience: (if applicable) *Hobbies & Interests: READING NOVELS... *Aim in life: (if...
hi ppl... i am dng a project on moving object detection in image processing in matlab..i am new to matlab and i have no ides how to start with it...can...
can any one tell me the difference between military and normal radars and the frequency and range at which they operate?
i am saranya,doing b.tech 3rd year in computer science and engineering. i joined CE to be a part of this community where engineers across world share their ideas.