Should number of 'Likes' on Facebook be taken seriously?

With the growing influence of social networking websites, especially Facebook, I find a surprising trend these days - the 'Likes' are being taken very seriously! An Indian minister has filed a complaint with the police department that the number of 'Likes' on his Facebook fan page has grown in a single day by 10,000. The minister suspects that something is 'wrong' and wants a police enquiry.

The same goes with people going crazy about the count of likes on their shared photos and videos. Do you think the number of likes on Facebook be taken seriously?

PS: Personally looking forward to views that are in favour of the argument.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Bouquets and brickbats should be treated with equal indifference.
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Facebook itself shouldn't be taken so seriously.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zaveri
    Facebook itself shouldn't be taken so seriously.
    But people do! Right? Why do you think Facebook likes shouldn't be taken seriously?
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Its related to different personal habit. They thought,
    More likes = More smart = More familiar = More Fans = etc.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Marketers only bother about likes on product or company pages because they are worried about brand value which ultimately has monetary impact. Not sure what people would want to do with number of likes? To me looks like an useless exercise except for celebrities for whom it's matter of branding.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think the question here is whether when you visit a new website and happen to check its Facebook page, you see some thousand likes, will that make you feel that this is already a pretty known brand? instead of when you see 10 or 20 likes, which means the brand is very new.

Crowd gets attracted to crowds. Won't that mean the 'number' of likes should be taken seriously by someone who is willing to spread it's reach?

Do share your opinions, people. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Analysis of facebook likes #-Link-Snipped-#
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Kaustubh Katdare
    But people do! Right? Why do you think Facebook likes shouldn't be taken seriously?
    Just answer me this and you will find out : "what does a 'like' really signify on a facebook post ?"
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    zaveri
    Just answer me this and you will find out : "what does a 'like' really signify on a facebook post ?"
    I think we should talk about Facebook page likes and not individual post likes. ๐Ÿ˜€
    The facebook page is just a medium like Emails to reach out to masses, who won't check your website everyday necessarily, but will definitely see their Facebook feed/timeline. Same goes for twitter.

PS: A lot of people these days don't check emails at all. SAD. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Ankita Katdare
    I think we should talk about Facebook page likes and not individual post likes. ๐Ÿ˜€
    My views are exactly opposite to this;
    There are very few who have good knowledge about the Facebook's settings. So, once you like the Facebook page you are bound to get the notification for all the posts made to the page and that can be annoying sometimes.

Result - People unlike the page to discontinue the notifications (Though they could disable or play around with the notification settings)

Anyways, I saw few movies page has likes in millions, does that mean those are super awesome movies? No, I do not think so.

Per me, Facebook is a very strong social media medium to give benefit to your business but just number of 'LIKES' can be considers as the sole criteria to gauge the success of the same.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Anoop Mathew
    Man Asked To Make One Million Facebook Likes As Dowry For The Wife-To-Be - BigEye.UG

How much more serious can it get? ๐Ÿ˜’
    Ha Ha Ha.. the problem with the lover guy is total FB account in Yeman are 200000
    so, the lover boy has approach other countries to get the likes... ๐Ÿ˜€

I heard this news on Radio mirchi @ Delhi, and prediction is he is going to make it ๐Ÿ˜
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anil Jain
    Ha Ha Ha.. the problem with the lover guy is total FB account in Yeman are 200000
    so, the lover boy has approach other countries to get the likes... ๐Ÿ˜€

I heard this news on Radio mirchi @ Delhi, and prediction is he is going to make it ๐Ÿ˜
    Anil Jain
    I saw it on #BBCtrending: Father in Yemen seeks one million Facebook 'likes' as dowry - BBC News (Television Channel) and I thought he won 30000 or so likes!

Excerpt from BBC:

Those commenting on Salem Ayash's #-Link-Snipped-#seem divided on whether it's a good idea or not. Many have thanked him for raising the issue of dowry payments, but others have questioned his motivations. "All you want is to use your daughter to seek fame," writes one - noting that the Facebook likes are for his own personal page, rather than that of his daughter or her husband-to-be. Ayash told the BBC that he wants to see evidence his future son-in-law is making an effort to raise the one million Facebook likes - but he won't be rigid. "If I see that he's worked hard, I'm willing to be flexible to see them happily married."
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ok, here is one interesting page on facebook
    #-Link-Snipped-# , more than 6.5 million people liked this page๐Ÿ˜ฒ. seriously.
    No faith in humanity. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
  • Shrikant Bedekar
    Shrikant Bedekar
    It depends on the person who posts the like, whether he is serious or not !!!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • Mrinmoy Swarnakar
    Mrinmoy Swarnakar
    Originally likes signify the availability of time by the person who likes it.
    The same way I am writing the comment now...
  • Dhananjay Harkare
    Dhananjay Harkare
    If we take number of followers on tweeter seriously then yes, same with facebook likes too!
  • Chirayu Samarth
    Chirayu Samarth
    NOT AT ALL...
    The number of likes may signify your popularity but there are many friends in our list whom we had hardly met once.
    There are several other things to be serious about than this...
  • guptas.sneha
    guptas.sneha
    no, the likes cant be taken seriously, people are so obsessed with these likes that they have multiple accounts, which they use to increase the number of likes only, one of my cousins does this .. (seriously) i really don't understand the point behind it
    but she does it.
  • sauhard
    sauhard
    Don't know about seriousness but yeah fake likes are easily gettable. I got about 500k+ likes on my rival's fan page in 1 day and he got blocked ๐Ÿ˜› That's how internet works ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Facebook does take number of likes very seriously, it seems. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    sauhard
    Don't know about seriousness but yeah fake likes are easily gettable. I got about 500k+ likes on my rival's fan page in 1 day and he got blocked ๐Ÿ˜› That's how internet works ๐Ÿ˜€
    That is just awesome!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

guys i want to change the defination of automobile engineering,i want to tell this world we are depend on book rule we always changes the rule of book to give...
I belong to a blogger community, during the holidays I end up working for different blogs from different countries. Some people would not be aware that for a blogger, the...
I would like all CEans that are using Linux based OS to please vote & name in comment below their favourite file manager, and give few reasons why you love...
I've a spare CISCO E2000 wireless router which I want to use as a wireless repeater. I found out that installing DD-WRT firmware on the router will enable - but...
By default, in Pantheon Desktop Environment, the desktop icons are disabled. Infact, you can't even right click on desktop in Pantheon-DE. Recently, I installed Nemo File manager (the one which...