Should I quit my job for GATE preparation?

Hi,
I completed my B.E. in mechanical in 2011 and currently working as an Asst. Prof. in one of the nearby colleges...i got into teaching for my studies only and not cz it was my ambition....but i found it a bit difficult to study for myself with the job as my concentration was more on my students....so I'm planning to leave my job and prepare for GATE2013 as i don't wanna make my career in teaching....but everyone around keeps on telling me that its a good profession for me being a "GIRL" in mechanical....and that working i industry is difficult for a girl....but teaching is not my aim in the long run....i just want to pursue MTECH from IITs or any autonomous colleges in pune....and then make my career in designing.....plz suggest me what should i do at the earliest.....

its getting difficult for me to decide as i have a job in hand right now.....though not of my choice....

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let's go step by step: Have you clearly thought of the path you'd like to pursue after M.Tech? If yes, please share with us.

Secondly, have you attempted GATE before? How's your level of confidence with it? Do you think you'll make it to the IITs or the college of your choice in the next attempt? Do you have a clear idea about how will you handle the worst case scenario in case you may not get the desired score in GATE 2013?

Quitting your job may not be very good option unless you're confident of fairing well in next exam. But if you are confident, just quit your job and start focusing on what's more important.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# First of all, welcome to CE.
    And don't worry about the naysayers who think that being a girl is a bane in mechanical industry. You can be whatever you want. Answer that questions that Biggie has asked above so that we can find a solution for you. 😀
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    #-Link-Snipped-# GATE is a good option for getting access to technology in Indian autonomous institutions. The best thing is ANYONE (read Tom Dick and Harry) can take GRE/ TOEFEL/ IELTS and get admission in foreign institutes but is really hard to secure your seat in IITs and IISc. It is worth a try in lifetime.

Don't worry about being a girl. I don't know about your background, but if you can spare 2 years of your life, even if you want to remain in teaching profession, you can make a fortune.
  • Aaradhana
    Aaradhana
    I had attempted GATE 2011 but as i was in B.E. then my focus was more on my academics rather than on GATE.....I gave a trial for GATE just to get some idea about the test pattern.....but even without putting in any efforts or any preparation i secured around 27 marks (i.e. gate score of 273) so i am confident that if i prepare well for it i can get "atleast" a decent score to get into any autonomous college

I wish to work in the R&D in my future in any of the industries wherein i can gain practical knowledge as well as where i can apply my knowledge and be helpful for the companies progress....and rest where my destiny takes me....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sounds like a good plan to me. But make sure that you get the experience certificate from your college so that during the job interviews, you'll be able to justify what you did post-engineering. All the best!

Stay active here on CE so that you're up to date with latest in engineering. Keep us informed about your progress 😀
  • Anonymous12
    Anonymous12
    Hi,
    I am a Final year student B Tech CS student and have got job in CSC and Infy. My long term goal is to go into teaching. For this i prepared for GATE 2014 to pursue M Tech but couldn't score well. Now i am in dilemma that whether i should join company or should do M Tech from college like BVP Pune,PEC or any other college other than IIT's and NIT's. Is it worth doing M Tech from these colleges or should i give myself a second chance to prepare for GATE 2015 along with job and try for IIT's?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-# . Good to know that you've a clearly defined goal. That makes decision making incredibly easy. Your last GATE score wasn't very good; and unless you are 100% confident that you'll get your dream score; I'd not recommend letting go of the job offers.

Instead, why not take up the job and commit yourself to dedicating 1-2 hours on daily basis to prepare for M.Tech? If you get your dream college, you may easily pay the bond amount through your savings.
  • amit_pawar242
    amit_pawar242
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you for blog.
    I am a graduate of 2012 in Mechanical Engineering. From past two years I am working in Pvt Company and my salary package is also good (4, 32,000 P.A.) but I feel something is missing in my life and I want to do big in my life. So I decided to try for GATE-2015 but I am from middle class family so I can’t quite job and prepare for GATE full time, so I joined weekend coaching classes also. From last 2 weeks I am going to class am studying 3-4 hrs every day. But I am an average student so I didn’t get confidence that I can clear the GATE so my mind is changing now, n I am thinking to stop coaching classes. Please sir help me, Is it possible to Crack GATE with doing 8-9 hr Job???? And after GATE also I have only one option PUS’s, I can’t stop earning money (Family Issues).
    So Sir please suggest is it possible to crack GATE with Good Marks (for PSU) with doing job??? N what should i do for that????? Or shall I concentrate on my Job only.
    Please suggest me.
    Thank you in advance.
  • Abhinav tyagi
    Abhinav tyagi
    Hi Team ,
    I am in same condition above but my IT exp is 4 .. age 26... i am planning to write gate 2015.... passed cse 2010. & in a confused stage, can I do good if i start preparing now.....just 5 months left for exam.... I can give 3-4 hours daily to my study ...planning to join online classes. Is it like by doing gate preparation... I will be able to crack other exams for CSE in government sector.
  • Arya Nayar
    Arya Nayar
    Hi Sir,
    Thanks for this blog. I am a BTech passout of May 2014 in ECE and currently working as application engineer in a multinational US Based EDA Company in Bangalore for the past 6 months. But my life’s biggest AIM is to work for ISRO and I am ready to work hard for it any cost. Right from my childhood till the present moment I dream about working in ISRO. I grew up reading the success stories of PSLV, GSLV and INSAT in 2002, 2003 etc and inspired by words of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Sir. After my 12th std I gave a try to make it to IIST for BTech through the exam ISAT-2010 which was conducted for UG admissions into IIST. But I couldnot succeed and joined a Govt engineering college for BTech in ECE. In my 8th Semester I got placed in my current company through campus recruitment which is a ‘dream company’ in the eyes of Placement Cell of my college. But my dream still remains the same old ISRO to this moment. I have gone through the previous question papers of ISRO centralised recruitment and found that it is almost similar to gate papers. I had appeared for gate2014 and got AIR around 4330 with score 601 in ECE. The preparation for gate2014 was not upto the level and I strongly believe I can improve to a really good score if I spend some months for dedicated GATE/ISRO preparation. So I am planning to quit my current job in June 2015 and join for GATE coaching at Hyderabad for GATE-2016 preparation. Even if I dont make it to ISRO I would like to join for MTech in IISc/IITs/IIST/NITs/ provided I get wonderful gate score and finally work in India’s research field. For all this I must spend 6 to 7 months dedicated for gate preparation.

Another dilemma is that many people are persuading me not to quit the current job as it is a high paying job(7.75 LPA) and a dream job of many. I tried to prepare for GATE -2015 in evenings after work during the 1st few months but as the work started becoming hectic I couldnot cope up with both. But if I donot quit I may have to work lifelong for a job which I am not much interested in and finally ending up lamenting that I did not chase my dreams.

I am ready to put my heart and soul into gate preparation and finally live my life contributing my part to Indian research field. This is what I love to do from the bottom of my heart instead of working in a MNC serving the clients only to increase the profit and turnover of the company. I know that my salary will be lower compared to that I receive now if I join a Govt Organisation for research/as engineer. But the happiness and satisfaction I will get working for my country will be much different from what I now get from this corporate life, I feel.

Could you please provide me advice regarding the correctness of my decision? Will it be a blunder if I quit my current job as my ‘well-wishers’ say and stay job-less for about a year? But I am confident and strongly believe that I will succeed in my aim. This is my driving force now.

Thanks,
    Arya
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# I know it's very late to answer to your query here. But we started a similar discussion to this and it has been well replied. Check: Quitting Job for GATE preparation?

Arya Nayar
    I am ready to put my heart and soul into gate preparation and finally live my life contributing my part to Indian research field. This is what I love to do from the bottom of my heart instead of working in a MNC serving the clients only to increase the profit and turnover of the company.
    This answers it all for you. You should be preparing for GATE full-time. Don't waste time at all, if you so clearly know what you want to do. Give it your best shot.
  • silver123
    silver123
    I suggest you not to quit your job, start with learning fundamental concepts. Talk to your friends who graduated with degree to figure out which subjects are more important and fundamental. Even after that, if you still aren't confident enough and feel you need more time for preparation, consider quitting your job and joining a coaching center. But as of now, make sure you can balance between your job and studies.
  • sandeep888
    sandeep888
    Hello sir ,
    I am 2014 passed out mechanical student. I worked for 2 years in small pvt. company and i am thinking to quit job for gate preparation in coaching center. I have a money problem also . So what can i do for my future . Im in big confusion . Is it better to leave and start prepare for gate.?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# It is difficult to make a suggestion based on the meagre details that you have provided. Could you tell us your problem in detail so that we can help better?

Details that you can share could include -
    • Your academic background
    • Skills you know already
    • How much you earn and is your family dependent on you
    • What kind of work you enjoy
    • Where do you want to see yourself
    • How do you think GATE is going to help you
    • Is it necessary to leave job for GATE prep
    • Have you tried studying part-time
    • etc.
    We will go through these details and make you an informed suggestion.
  • Srh
    Srh
    Hello sir/mam
    I'm Shreyas and studying in BE Mechanical.. I'm in dilemma that should I go for Gate 2017 or get placement in campus interviews.. I spent a year on thinking of GRE or GATE.. But now problem is arrived for job or GATE.. Campus that my college has got is not paying good money and my dream is being a successful businessman.. I'm thinking of 2 3 yr of job experience and then start on my own project.. I never like like to work for anyone.. My family conditions are quiet good so that's not an issue for me.. I still got 1 yr for prep..
    Should I go for Gate or job ?
  • Srh
    Srh
    Hello sir/mam
    I'm Shreyas and studying in BE Mechanical.. I'm in dilemma that should I go for Gate 2017 or get placement in campus interviews.. I spent a year on thinking of GRE or GATE.. But now problem is arrived for job or GATE.. Campus that my college has got is not paying good money and my dream is being a successful businessman.. I'm thinking of 2 3 yr of job experience and then start on my own project.. I never like like to work for anyone.. My family conditions are quiet good so that's not an issue for me.. I still got 1 yr for prep..
  • PULI VIKAS
    PULI VIKAS
    hi i am vikas....i am currently working as a software employee after completing my training for 3 months. first of all i hate doing software job from the core of my heart. but because my family had asked me to do so i had to. i got gate ranks of 8853 in 2025 & 2453 in 2016. i am bit depressed this time because i havent planned well in studying aptitude where i lost 10 marks and almost 5 marks by doing"silly mistakes".i strongly want a technical job or a psu to settle down , so i want to leave this job and prepare for gate 2017.what do you suggest?? note: i joined only because my parents think leaving job could put my carrier in trouble...
  • PULI VIKAS
    PULI VIKAS
    PULI VIKAS
    hi i am vikas....i am currently working as a software employee after completing my training for 3 months. first of all i hate doing software job from the core of my heart. but because my family had asked me to do so i had to. i got gate ranks of 9853 in 2015 & 2453 in 2016. i am bit depressed this time because i havent planned well in studying aptitude where i lost 10 marks and almost 5 marks by doing"silly mistakes".i strongly want a technical job or a psu to settle down , so i want to leave this job and prepare for gate 2017.what do you suggest?? note: i joined only because my parents think leaving job could put my carrier in trouble...
  • Srh
    Srh
    12 days has gone for my question n nobody is going to ans
    Is it active forum or not ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Srh
    If you want to start your own business - why not just do it right away? If you think you will need some experience; you should opt for a job irrespective of the salary offered. GATE doesn't seem to fit in your plan.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let us make a collection of the ultimate project ideas for third & final year Aeronautical engineering students.I have a found a few after a quick search -Bird deflector system...
1. Determine the oxygen up take by immobilized cells or enzymes in Bio reactor. 2. Design a bio reactor for continuous operation 3. Operation of more than one bio reactor...
Hundreds of tech start-ups are bubbling up every week. The start-up founders/owners are having a hard time getting their products and services up and running online, just because they are...
Let us make a collection of the popular tech channels on youtube - Google Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Google TED Talks Channel - https://www.youtube.com/TED CNET TV Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/CNETTV Google Tech Talks...
Hey, just a random unrelated question that some of my seniors mentioned; do you guys agree that mechanical projects are harder to be carried out compared to electronic/programming projects? Cos...