Should every engineer learn to code?

Curious to know what our fellow engineers think about every engineer, irrespective of the main discipline of study, learning to write computer code? 

With computers making ways into everything we do - is the art of programming becoming a necessity? 

Replies

• Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande

Yeah, being in IT or in any technical domain one  should at least need to know basics of coding. 

• Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande

This thread is fab!!

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar

Even, not all stakeholders, engineers, working in software development, require coding knowledge.  Sometimes, knowing coding hinders the ways we think. A designer when focus on only designing come with more innovation. When they know coding, they know the limitation and might play it safe. 

Moreover, when you don't know every aspect following situation comes out.  

8L0C-0d85e8fb97ea87bd85792b8a702e2b9e.jpg

There are times when superiours try to show off and force such things. Some may think it is only Indian scenario, but it's the global issue.  

If required, one should know coding. Being technical helps, but can shadow the core competency. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Interesting perspective, #-Link-Snipped-#‍ . 

I've a question for all the engineers who're working / employed. Have you faced any issue at your workplace that made you feel that a bit of programming / coding knowledge would have helped? 

• John Wick
    John Wick

Never been a fan of coding. Last time was 2 years ago when I took some online course to teach me programming. I think it said it was for dummies and I actually dozed off at Chapter 2. Friends keep egging me on to learn how to code. Looks like it's the most essential skill in the IT world, but I am not the one for it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We've taken a great care in ensuring super fast loading website. But all that matters is how fast it loads on your phone or computer. Could you tell us if...
I need a translation company from English to Chinese to deploy a project. pls recomend to me one