Should Artificial Intelligences Be Given Civil Rights?

I read the following paragraph on #-Link-Snipped-#

Kurzweil thinks that human-level AI won’t be around for 20 years or so. Others are more conservative, a few think it could be here in the next decade. Whenever you think an artificial intelligence will match your own intellect, what should we do with it as it arrives? Are these things just machines that we can use however we want? If they do have civil rights, should they have the same rights as humans? Can they own stuff? Can they vote? Better for us to figure this out before they actually show up. As most parents will tell you, it’s really helpful to have the baby crib built before the baby arrives.
I was really amazed by this thought and thought this calls for a discussion. What's your opinion?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    I was really amazed by this thought and thought this calls for a discussion. What's your opinion?
    I am an avid SciFi reader. Isaac Asimov is an all time favourite of mine. His Bicentennial Man was a great novelette. The movie was also good with Robin Williams in the lead role.

Bicentennial Man (1999) - IMDb

The robot acquires emotions. In the last scene he is administered the Oath of Allegiance and becomes a US citizen.

When biological nitwits can be citizens, why not intelligent machines?

Bioramani
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    Yes i agree to it anything or even human or any artificial intelligence should have rights because it is having responsibility
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    No, civilian rights cannot be given to an artificial being. It's against the law of nature. Artificial Intelligence should be used only to easy the human life in future. It should not cause major changes in human evolution and thinking.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friends, Anybody have idea how to transfer our data(of database like mysql,oracle) from one computer to another(except by creating backup).
Google has introduced the world's first online global science competition, the Google Science Fair! Google has partnered with CERN, LEGO, National Geographic and Scientific American to create a new kind...
Earthquake rocks Delhi and North India at IST 5.02 PM. The magnitude of the quake is about 5.7 on Richter Scale. The center of the quake is said to be...
Hello friends, I am trying host my code in a hosting site www.my3gb.com My code is working fine with my pc but not when i hosted there....Look at this code......
I have always wondered what must be the procedure to get inside the Facebook Headquarters. Next to Google, Facebook has the most impressive office space and the employees there seem...