Short Range Microphones, Radar No Longer Need License : DoT

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has taken an important decision to exempt short range microphones and radars from licensing requirement. This move would now facilitate the wider adoption of RFID, short-range communication devices and use of radar systems in automobiles. Mr. S. N. Gupta, the international telecom regulatory expert, informed the PTI that the devices in this domain aren't being manufactured in India at present; but the new notification will ease the import of such devices and help build an ecosystem.

The notification was issued by the Wireless Planning and Coordination (WPC) Wing of the DoT. The very low power wireless equipments typically deployed within a premise for event management can now be used in the frequency band of 36-38 MHz, without needing the license.

The short range radar systems employed by the automobiles to detect blind spots, collision protection systems and lane-change assistance; can now be installed in the cars. The notification also allows the use of contactless smartcards and microwave ovens in the 302 - 351 kHz frequency band. The notification exempts the RFID devices operating in the frequency range of 433 - 434.79 MHz.

radar-microphone-dot

With the new policy in place, Mr. Gupta expects that this new wireless technology will be adopted by shopping malls to track the movement of the products, by automatic toll collection plazas and even for NFC based payments using smartphones; which is gaining popularity around the world.

Gupta further informed that though the license is not required, the products will have to get an approval once for their use.

Source: DoT exempts short range microphones, radars from licensing - The Economic Times

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Awesome Move by DoT. Now we can expect few more tech deployed into Indian Roads in the coming years. Hope the said 'ecosystem' comes to life at the earliest.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: The Aldar headquarters building is the first circular building of its kind in the Middle East. It is located in Al Raha, Abu Dhabi (emirate), United Arab Emirates. The...
Quote: This VFD Drive Training sample is from the VFD Troubleshooting section of Electrical category of the Online Industrial Training Video Library ( https://bin95.com/Industrial-Training-... ). This sample is from the...
HEY GUYS I AM IN THIRD YEAR SEM 5 NOW I WANT TO DO INTERNSHIP IN AN IT COMPANY IN MUMBAI NOT GEETING WAY FROM WHERE TO START UPON I...
Hi sir, Hope you are doing good. Myself Vinay. Ive done my Bsc(MPCS) in 2013. Ive completed my Manual + QTP testing courses. but im not getting any interview calls....
ISRO has announced that the ASTROSAT it has been building and assembling for a while now is ready for launch. The space & research organisation will be blasting off the...