seven segment LED

I need help with this--

Calculate the maximum power used by a three-and a half digit seven segment LED display with a 5v supply and a 10ma LED current. Also detremine the power dissipated in each LED series resistor if the LEDs hv Vf=1.4V.

Can someone plz solve it??

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Before we go to the actual solution, lets see if people can get the answers first -

a) Max power used = 1.15W
    b) LED resistor power = 36mW

- Karthik
  • theta
    theta
    I have no clue about this 3 and a half digit part. I studied the seven segment display but did not find the 3 and a half digit part of it.
    Can someone please explain what this 3 and a half digit is first??
  • theta
    theta
    Someone please help. This is urgent!!!
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Though i am not completely sure about it, i think the half digit means that in the Most Significant digit position, all the segments will not be turned on. The logic will be implemented such that the MSD can be either 0 (no segment glows) or 1 (two rightmost segments glow).

- Karthik
  • theta
    theta
    I have got the first part, i.e. the maximum power dissipated. Its 5*10*23=1.15W. 23 for the 23 segments of the 3 and a half digits of the 7 segment LED display.
    But how is the 2nd part solved??
    Please explain, this is very important.

Thanks...
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Simple -
    Given that Power supply is 5V, and LED Vf is 1.4V. The rest of the voltage has to drop in a resistor. Secondly current required is 10mA

Therefore R = (5-1.4)/10mA = 360 Ohm

Resistor Power = I^2*R = 10mA*10mA*360 Ohm = 36mW

-Karthik
    ๐Ÿ˜
  • theta
    theta
    Thank you very much for the help. Cheers!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Where can we find computer's ip address? Please list all the possible ways and also the ways it can be changed if it can be. Can we create a file...
Hi All! I'm doing a project for a class and I need a "Software Professional" to interview. If you're willing to help, we don't need to interview right now. All...
Hi CEans, Before I put down my crazy thoughts (don't look for sense pls), let me ask, how many of us have heard about stories of reincarnation and how many...
Indian entrepreneurs will be delighted to know this. Infosys chief mentor & co-founder, Mr. N.R. Murthy has sold 800,000 shares, or 0.13% of the company. Total value of the shares...
US bank customer Dalton Chiscolm could learn on Friday if he is one step closer to becoming the world's first ever billion-trillionaire. Mr Chiscolm sued Bank of America in Manhattan's...