Setting up your website? Have questions? Ask them here!

CEans,

Lot of our engineers are interested in setting up their own websites. If you are one of them and have questions about web-hosting, post them in this thread. I'll try my level best to answer them.

๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Pranav Kathale
    Pranav Kathale
    The_Big_K
    CEans,

Lot of our engineers are interested in setting up their own websites. If you are one of them and have questions about web-hosting, post them in this thread. I'll try my level best to answer them. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Yeah. That's great idea. I am not actually planning for it, but will definitely do that, if I get the chance.. I am so interested in this area. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I am going to ask questions here, that is for sure now.. ;-)
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    here is my Question
    can we make our own Personal Computer as a web server..ie can we host our website by ourself...??
    I have heard about IIS facility provided by windows but is it secure to use this???
    can you suggest me any other method if there is any??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    goyal420
    here is my Question
    can we make our own Personal Computer as a web server..ie can we host our website by ourself...??
    I have heard about IIS facility provided by windows but is it secure to use this???
    can you suggest me any other method if there is any??
    Of course you can turn your personal computer into a web server. However, it is strictly not recommended. All you need is a an always-on internet (DSL) connection and a windows based PC. Then you can configure Apache, expose port 80 to the Internet and let your website run on your own PC.

Other, proven, method is to host your website with a web host. Go through following articles for detailed information -

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Bump!

All those who've been asking questions through email! Where are you? ๐Ÿ˜

Questions, anyone?
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    How to create SMTP server for my web site?
    currently my site is hosted by Bravehost.com and domain provided by .co.nr
    suggest me some thing
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    hello biggie

I have read your articles and other forum posts on CE. I want to experiment with creating a website but I have a few doubts(answers to which I haven't clearly found yet)

1)what is the importance of registering a domain with a branded registrar such as godaddy. There are other Indian resellers who are giving away for as cheap as 200-300 Rs. Not much but somewhat cheaper than these branded ones. I can understand the importance of getting a good web hosting service but domain registration is a one time issue isn't it ? then why spend extra on branded ones. I am ready to spend some extra money but I wan't to know which is better and why.

2)Am having a difficulty in selecting webhosts. As I am starting out on this website thing, I won't be needing much space and bandwidth I guess. At the most I may shift my blog to the new domain which again won't require much resources. The thing is, should I experiment out on free webhosts such as #-Link-Snipped-# or should I go for a paid one.

There are various Indian providers offering web hosting solutions for decent rates.
    #-Link-Snipped-# (this is my ISP)

#-Link-Snipped-#

both of the above are offering unlimited space and bandwidth(I know I don't require so much) and lots of other features. Yahoo, I believe, is a good name in the business.
    So how do I know which one to select.

3) if I were to just shift my blog to a standard domain name of my own(forget learning and all for the moment), wouldn't it be better to just buy a domain and use it on existing blogspot account(or wordpress) . Ill save money and lots of hassles this way. I won't have to take the headache of selecting and managing the account myself. Free blogger and wordpress are good enough I believe.
    If not, then why should I migrate?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Mahesh: The SMTP is usually setup by the host. I'm not sure whether free hosting providers provide you with that facility.

@ Optimystix:

1. I'm not endorsing Godaddy or any other registrar. However, for just $2-3 per year, you get much more control over your domain which is better than having limited control. I have no experience with Indian resellers. You should also consider recurring costs per year for your domain.

2. Choice of hosting provider and account depends on what you wish to achieve with your website. For a blog, you can opt for free hosting provider; however, they've their own negatives. For example, CE was first hosted on Yahoo hosting and I had terrible time with Yahoo's support team when CE got hacked. There were frequent down times and other problems. However, that was 3 years ago!

Unlimited looks good, but it's always limited by nodes. For example, if the node limit for your 'unlimited' account is 100,000; then you cannot store more than 100,000 files, emails et al on your account. Of course, a small site may never consume all of it. One of the most important factor you should consider is the tech-support. If you're serious about your website, it's always recommend that you go with a well established host. You can find many hosting deals on webhostingtalk forums.

For a blog, you may opt for a basic shared hosting provider and your own domain. Or opt for blogger.com with your own domain.

3. That's exactly what I"m recommending. Buy a domain and use it with existing blogspot/wordpress account. You can always move the site to your own server later (if you wish). It will save you LOT of money! However, I'm not sure how much customization you need for your blog. I doubt wordpress/blogspot provide you with FTP access.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    If I may add some more points to biggie's post:

1. It would be wiser to register with a domain registrar thats reputable. Some resellers might use registrars that more limited in function (as biggie mentioned) or charge extra for more features, and when you REALLY need their support with domain related issues or services such as domain transferring, you'll get disappointed (you'll ask for their support, then they'll ask support from their registrar!). Other than Go Daddy, you can also check Moniker, another great domain registrar service. Since domain names are relatively cheap anyway, there shouldn't be too budget conscious on this.

2. Yahoo hosting should be okay these days, I've been reading that they are stable and quick. Can't say about what happened 3 years back with CE though ๐Ÿ˜› Also, the "unlimited" features are now being marketed by virtually every host. They will at some point interrupt your service if they see you abusing their services with things like file sharing or streaming. I strongly recommend you see their reliability/uptime and support rather than the other features. Also, do try to ping the websites of hosts from your location (as well as use remote pinging from different locations, there are websites that offer this). This will give a rough gauge of the latency that people will experience when they view your website. About 200-300ms should be okay for international links. If you think that most of your readers will be geographically located at an specific region, having a host in the same area will definitely help.

3. If you wish to just develop your blog thats hosted on blogger, you can opt to use your own domain for this. Thats what Im currently using for my blogger blog. At the same time, my Wordpress blog is hosted externally since it requires more custom tinkering. So if you wish, you can use a subdomain for your blogger blog, but have another website hosted somewhere under the same domain. You can also use the free Google Apps with your domain and have a cool email system thats like CrazyEngineers' one ๐Ÿ˜€ So all you need to pay for is just the domain name!
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    thanks for all the inputs from both of you ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    One best way to check any host's tech support without signing up is to ask their tech representative few technical questions through mail or live chat. Look at their responses and response time. It should give you a fair idea.

By the way, if anyone signs up with LiquidWeb ๐Ÿ˜› let me know.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello to all CEans i have some questions seniors please help me. i want to crack one of the psu exam also gate 2010 the problem is i havent done...
Hi everyone, Feel proud in calling yourself as a computer/IT engineer ๐Ÿ˜’ ? Simple, in this thread - a sort of challenge will be thrown for all such engineers. The...
This one is out of my own, personal curiosity. What's involved in building a simple web search engine? Let's say, we have a network of 1000 (or 10?) terminals each...
Occam Networks New High-Density Gigabit Ethernet FTTP Blade Featuring Highest Port Density in Its Class on Display at ITU Telecom World in Geneva 48 Ports Per Blade Combines with Integrated...
A short article about DARPA funded experiments to remotely control insects - in this case beetles: Free-flying cyborg insects steered from a distance - tech - 01 October 2009 -...