SETI Project Shut Down Because Of Lack Of Funds

In case you missed our VoiCE coverage, SETI project has shut down because of lack of funds. You may however donate and bring the project back to life and help in searching for the aliens in the universe.

Check here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The problem in my opinion is the vastness of space. Even if there is some advanced intelligence (with telecommunication expertise) somewhere out there, the energies involved in sending info across is mind boggling. Consider our own sun, a measly 9 light minutes away. One needs special instruments to detect solar flares with energy levels 6x10^25 J, which is far far higher than the largest nuclear explosion so far tested by the US which logged at a paltry 2x10^17 J. SETI seems to be a sort of whistling in the dark. Back in the early 70s there was a UN programme to develop possible communication codes for potential alen encounters. Quite a few of us were enthusiastically developing a sort of math based info exchange without using any language. The whole thing petered out.

I am very sad that SETI is going the way of the Himalayan YETI.

The problem is daunting.

Bioramani
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I agree. I'm not sure whether the approach SETI took was right and the best. I'm believe we need to setup an array of satellites each controlling the next in line to be able to look far into the space.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    i had once watched this documentary on discovery- where to detect life or to even observe the distant planets- scientists are planning to convert earth inot a ahuge telescope. In sense, they visualise to strategically place individual telescope over the earth's globe to detect and study the possibilities of space life and then do complex math of combining the individual results.
    Keeping the facts apart- it is indeed sad that SETI has shutdown due to lack of funds, but as Bioramani has mentioned - it might be more of hitting in dark- without a slightest hint of what we are hitting at!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I believe we've discussed this point multiple times. I'm starting this thread to bring to attention the way of providing feedback to other users who are new to forums. 1....
Here is a Lecture on Refrigeration and Airconditioning by Prof.M.Ramgopal from the Department of Mechanical Engineering IIT Kharagpur. Discuss this topic with fellow mechanical engineers, share your ideas, ask questions...
Here is a Lecture on Psychometry - an important topic under Refrigeration and Airconditioning by Prof. M.Ramgopal from the Department of Mechanical Engineering IIT Kharagpur. Discuss this topic with fellow...
In this video lecture you will understand the details of the psychometric process, a topic under Refrigeration and Airconditioning by Prof.M.Ramgopal from the Department of Mechanical Engineering IIT Kharagpur. Discuss...
Here is a Lecture on Refrigeration and Airconditioning by Prof.M.Ramgopal from the Department of Mechanical Engineering IIT Kharagpur. Discuss this topic with fellow mechanical engineers, share your ideas, ask questions...