Servo Web Browser Engine Is Coming To Android & ARM

Mozilla & Samsung have joined hands to develop 'Servo' - a new web browser engine from ground up. In a #-Link-Snipped-#, Mozilla, the company behind Firefox, said that their mission is about advancing the web as a platform for all. Mozilla Research team believes that they need to be prepared for the modern hardware with faster than ever before, multi-core heterogeneous computing architectures. Mozilla has began collaborating with Samsung for the project Servo. The platform will be made available on both Android and ARM, but don't expect it to be production ready in this year.

slide

Mozilla team is 'rethinking' the old assumptions while building the new platform for browsers. This involves addressing causes of security vulnerabilities and designing the software to be prepared for tomorrow's parallel hardware to offer richer web browsing experience.

The Servo web browser engine is being written in a new safe systems programming language called 'Rust'. It's been specially developed by Mozilla in association with developer community. Rust programming language, currently at version 0.6 is available for #-Link-Snipped-#.

If you are a programmer interested in participating in the development of Servo, head over to the following URL: #-Link-Snipped-#

Do you think the world needs yet another web browsing engine?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Android needs a web browser with better engine.All currently available browsers in Android are not good when we compare 'em to Apple's Safari.

Plus,Mozilla had bad time in past dealing with Apple for iOS version of Mozilla firefox,so they decided to shun that project.

However,this is all business :
    Enemy's enemy = Friend.
  • oprime
    oprime
    With respect to data consumption and page rendering, I find Opera Mini for Android quite good.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    oprime
    With respect to data consumption and page rendering, I find Opera Mini for Android quite good.
    Agreed, Opera has developed a special technology which allows them to compress web pages, and I believe images as well before they are served to the browser. This cuts down the data usage by a huge margin. I'm wondering what's stopping Google from doing this with all their huge data centers.

Oh by the way did I not highlight the ARM support as well?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hlw. This is Subrata Frm International Islamic University Chittagong, Bangladesh. I've joined her to know mny things i didn't know yet and share something i knew yet.
Hi everybody, How are you? I am new here and I am happy to join here.
HIII EVERYONE, this is MOHAMMED ABDUL QUDDUS (a.k.a AATIF) a civil engineering final year student from hyderabad......I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM AND NEED HELP FROM ALL THE MEMBERS OF...
hi i need to create pdf for my data from orcle database using java. i am using following java coding import java.io.*; import java.sql.*; import jpack.Database; import com.itextpdf.text.Document; import com.itextpdf.text.Paragraph;...
​YouTube is adopting the latest HTML5 technology and is giving up on the old-school flash for wider support over modern gadgets, desktops, laptops and tablets. YouTube is currently doing a...